1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Nc700x Lovers: Show 'em here

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by roborider, Jan 10, 2015.

1. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The frunck is extrememly appealling. No other compeitor offer it.

I'm kind'a scare that the 500-pound weight is going to be too much for me to handle when the going gets rough. I don't have much upper body strength. I rely on balance to keep my XR upright. I understand you have to man handle Beast sometimes when the road unexpectedly turn to crap and turning around is not an option.

I don't plan to travel at more than 65 mph. I don't plan to ride on interstate much.
    Don't really know if I need that much horsepower.
  2. bamamate

bamamate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had some DR650 riders sit on my bike. Even though the NC is a good bit heavier they all said it feels about the same as the DR. The bike is really good at going slow through tough terrain. It balances really easy and the engine pulls from idle. I got a CRF250l and am now having to learn how to work the clutch. Never really had to slip it much on the NC since it pulls so good. Turning around on a big bike is more difficult. If possible use the terrain to your advantage. Point the front up hill or up the burm on the side of the road so it will roll back down. The 17" front wheel will ride rougher than the 21 on the XR. Smaller diameter just doesn't roll over stuff as easily. On the other hand lose rocks that can deflect the CRF don't bother the NC. It kicks the rock out of the way instead of the bike kicking off the rock.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  3. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    @73Mustang don't get hung up on weight figures. The thing I disliked most about my WeeStrom was the top-heavy feeling because it carried so much weight up high. When I sat on a number of bikes at the m/c show last year the NC was one of several (CB500X, Versys, BMW GS) that felt light and tossable to me. Imagine my surprise when I found out what the weight actually was. It isn't the weight so much as where the weight is carried. Honda have managed to keep the weight down low which makes it less intrusive and the bike will feel and act like one several pounds lighter. A lot of dual sport bikes are the opposite because of trying to get ground clearance, bigger fuel tanks for longer range up high, etc. Specs only tell part of the story with bikes. You really need to sit on them and ride them to get a true picture of what they are like.
    fibbermeister and bamamate like this.
  4. Ackme

Ackme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2016 Pricing announced yesterday:
    http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/honda-adventure-bike-models-prices-2016/

"Honda’s economical 670cc parallel-twin NC700X gets a range of refinements for 2016. Changes including more aggressive bodywork, a 70mm higher touring windscreen and a new lighter pentagon-shaped muffler with an improved exhaust note. Additional changes include a larger luggage compartment (.25 gallons larger), three different levels of ‘S’ mode for the DCT version and a utility rail to simplify fitting a tank bag. Also new are “L”-shaped air valves on the wheels that make air fill ups easier, a revised dash meter and a smoother-functioning “wave”-style ignition key.

The DCT version will costs $500 more than the base model at $8,009 MSRP but pricing is unchanged for 2016 on both the Base and DCT models. Currently, Honda has only announced one color choice for the US market called Silver Metallic. Expect the NC700X’s arrival on US dealer showroom floors this April."
  5. Kameltaz

Kameltaz n00b

Oddometer:
    I might have missed it but I didn't notice anyone mention the standing position on the NC. To me it's far more comfortable and gives better control than a wee-Strom (too far forward); and especially a Versys (which feel like rearsets in comparison). My 2012 manual trans with 2" risers feels pretty much like my KLR did with 3/4" risers.
    I would like to find a set of dirt pegs larger than 2" by 3" to fit it.
  6. smithb9

smithb9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 1.2" risers and the motech dirt pegs in the lower position, but it still feels like the bars are a little low when standing. I'm only 5'9" too... maybe I'm just not used to it, or perhaps I need to go up to 2" risers.
  7. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So i'm looking at one of these at a Daily commuter. I have a 120 mile round trip commute.

Does anyone make an off the shelf tall seat for it. I'm 6,2 and really hate being cramped on a bike.
  8. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Corbin seat is higher and wider.

http://corbin.com/honda/hnc7fr.shtml

The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  9. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'-8" with a 30 inch inseam. I have the two inch Rox risers and find the bike very easy to ride standing up. It's so easy and I do it so much I added a rear view blind spot mirror to the inside of my left hand guard so I can see traffic behind me, traffic of the LEO kind.

Pictures of the mirror setup on the NC700 forum:

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...-view-mirror.html?highlight=stand+rear+mirror
    grandelatte likes this.
  10. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer:
    Were the stock cables long enough with the 2 inch risers?
  11. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just barely if you take the cables on the right side out of the bracket that holds them in place. Lock-to-lock the cables are not stretched on my 2014 bike.
  12. smithb9

smithb9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, had to re-route the clutch cable to behind the stem though, and need to loosen the bracket that holds the brake cable on the bottom triple tree so that it gives some slack to the upper end of it.
  13. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    Here is one from the weekend,

20160724_130215.jpg
    Ride Now, kpinvt and bamamate like this.
  14. oldbmw

oldbmw havehandlebarswillrideit

Oddometer:
    So while I'm waiting for a mid size tenere 800 or a African Twin 700, I sat on a NC700 DCT. Comparing this bike to my 2006 BMW R1200GS, the NC700 felt lighter throwing it back and forth inside the dealers show room. It had fuel in the tank. Then I read that it's curb weight is 500. My gs curb weight fully fueled is 495. So..... The Honda wears its weight low? BMW is lying? VW does!!
    The power to weight ratio for the NC700 is .108
    The power to weight ratio for the R1200GS is .499
    Any other thoughts?
    Please correct any errors in my google research! :)
  15. smithb9

smithb9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    your numbers are correct, the NC is built on almost a scooter frame though, so it wears it's weight very low. I do sometimes wonder how you can fit another 300-500cc in a bike and come out lighter or equal to the NC though...

[​IMG]
  16. TeepS

TeepS Full Circle Rider

Oddometer:
    The NC could be made lighter by way of a clean sheet redesign and choosing lighter components such as:
    engine design and materials
    wheels
    brake calipers & rotors
    front suspension
    rear suspension: including damper, swing arm and pork linkages
    frame materials
    fasteners.

Of course the bike would cost easily twice as much or more, and may only lose 50lbs, so there you go.
    Still, the NC700 is a good bike for the money, as it is; you've just got to accept its limitations.
  17. Knave

Knave Less than ideal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'3 and I have a Sargent seat with an Airhawk on top as well as lowered pegs. Very comfortable for all day 400+ mile days.
  18. smithb9

smithb9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    makes sense, and mine has taken me everywhere I've asked of it so far with no complaints, but it does just seem somewhat bloated when comparing to similar bikes with larger engines.
  19. TeepS

TeepS Full Circle Rider

Oddometer:
    Agree.
    If Honda would bump the power up 25/30 HP. (I'd gladly pay another grand for 30HP bump!)
    I could accept the weight and 60" wheel base.
  20. lexar

lexar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To all the idiots who keep saying, "If the bike only had......I would pay more and buy it": buy a different bike that fits your needs to begin with! Want more power? There are plenty of other models in the lineup now. Stop bashing a bike that has met its design with aplomb with a bike that doesn't suit you to begin with. Or better yet just shut-up.