1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Nc700x Lovers: Show 'em here

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by roborider, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    A little touchy aren't we? There is nothing wrong with really liking the style or concept of a motorcycle and wishing it had a little better brakes, suspension or a little more oomph. Your reference to "idiots" is a little strong don't ya think? You don't have to get your panties in a bunch just because someone doesn't like your ride......that is very insecure on your behalf. Grow up and ride more.......and stop giving a shit what people think of your bike. Ride what you like not what others like.
    Mike
  2. fiah

fiah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would, but no there aren't, at least not with a DCT. It's either an NC700/NC750 derivative, a VFR1200 or an Africa Twin, there's plenty of room for other models with DCTs in there and I'm glad Honda has announced that they're expanding that line-up
  3. Huck369

Huck369 Huckster

Oddometer:
    My NC700X (Jool) on the K.A.T......back in the spring IMG_1982.jpg
    hobnobber, bamamate and greenboy 667 like this.
  4. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    It would be nice to have a NC1000X if it didn't lose too much of the efficiency of the 700/750 platform.
  5. smithb9

smithb9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The AT is just about the Nc1000 though, no?
  6. dduelin

Oddometer:
    The soft road biased AT hasn't the quirkiness of the NC engine and of course no frunk.
  7. greenboy 667

greenboy 667 Just say NO to BLOATOCYCLES

Oddometer:
    -- or fuel economy
  8. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was thinking they oughtta' go the other way: Put on some high-end components and drop 125# (Or a whole bunch of weight, anyway.). That'd give better performance, gas mileage, and pride of ownership for a great daily ride. I'd pay a good hunk extra for that. Of course, if they can get it up to 50 (or 70) rwhp, whilst keeping, or bettering, the fuel efficiency, I'd pay an even bigger bundle.

I don't need, or want, outrageous power any more. Just make it abundant and easy to use in the low-mid, w/great gas mileage, and all while light, nimble, and sporty, and I'm in heaven. A practical, comfortable, multi-cylinder SM, of sorts.
    Hvymax, greenboy 667 and dduelin like this.
  9. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    That fits your lengthy size . . Remember your FZ-07 :-) A bit cramped . . .

I would like to have at least 4.5 gallon fuel capacity too . . .
  10. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll take it. But, at the fuel efficiency, it does pretty darn good w/3.7.
    Huck369 likes this.
  11. vinsonrider

vinsonrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A question of a different sort, would the rally raid upgrades from the cb500x fit the nc ?
  12. bamamate

bamamate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We don't know. Several of us have been bugging them to do the NC. They are supposed to have an NC to work on but have said other priorities have them busy.
  13. vinsonrider

vinsonrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You would think they would be really close in specs.
  14. bamamate

Oddometer:
    I agree. I think the front forks are the same and the rear shock is probably the same. I don't know if we have the clearance to do the level 3 upgrade. I think we do but it would be close. I want the upper triple tree with the 1" drop so I can get rid of the fork extenders and can then have preload adjusters on the forks.
    They have it set in their minds that the NC isn't as good a candidate for use off-road which I think is part of why they are dragging their feet. The NC does weigh more but I think the NC engine is better for off-road.
    CrStep likes this.
  15. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Shock lengths look different to the RR Stage 3.
  16. bamamate

Oddometer:
    Yes. Stage 1 kit upgrades fork internals and upgraded rear shock. Keeps ride height and travel the same. Stage 2 upgrades fork internals and has a longer dampener rod for more travel. Also has dropped upper triple tree for more clearance. rear shock is longer to match the front. Stage 3 is stage 2 plus 19" front and spoke 17" rear. I think the stage 1 would be a direct fit to the NC.
    The top triple may not be a direct swap but I bet the longer damper rod and other internals would fit. I think the 19 front would work with my fork extenders but I'm not sure we would have the clearance for the 19" along with the longer travel. With our engine canted forward we may have clearance issues the CB doesn't have.
  17. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    The rear suspension setup is different in design on both bikes.
  18. smithb9

smithb9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought I had read the fork DIA was different between the cb500x and the nc700x, but maybe I am mistaken.

For anyone looking for a easy upgrade, you can buy the CB1100 fork caps which also fit the NC forks, and give you the ability to adjust preload. RockyMountainATV has the best prices on them that I could find, took me about 15min last night to swap them for the stock caps on my bike.
    greenboy 667 and Huck369 like this.
  19. dduelin

Oddometer:
    Did you change the spacer length to keep initial preload the same or accept the extra preload as a starting point?
  20. smithb9

smithb9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    didn't change spacer length, I actually used one of your threads from the NC forum as a baseline. Sitting on the bike with new caps installed and preload all the way out (so, ~ +18mm over stock) I had about 1.75" of sag, which is about 1/3, although I'm not sure if an "athletic" stance on the bike would make that sag number grow, vs just sitting on it normally.