Nc700x Lovers: Show 'em here

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by roborider, Jan 10, 2015.

1. bamamate

bamamate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How are they different?
  2. bamamate

Oddometer:
    I had read that they both were 41mm forks.
  3. smithb9

smithb9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah, after looking it up that's correct. the CB has 0.1" more travel in the front, maybe it was the spacing between fork tubes that's different, there was some reason as to why you couldn't direct swap I thought.
  4. bamamate

Oddometer:
    The travel depends on which year and source. We noticed that between 2012 and 2013 they reduced the published fork travel on some sources.

The brake disk bolt pattern is different because of the different cast wheel designs. There may be other design issues which is why I have been waiting on RR to get around to looking at the NC and haven't bought it and tried it myself. A bit pricy for me to experiment myself.
    greenboy 667 likes this.
  5. CrStep

CrStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm fascinated for someone to explore this further. I hope RR gets around to it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    greenboy 667 likes this.
  6. greenboy 667

greenboy 667 Just say NO to BLOATOCYCLES

Oddometer:
    yah, likewise.
  7. bamamate

Oddometer:
    Yes, yes. It would seem that someone with a long winter, like someone living in say Montana, where you can't ride all winter would take it on as a winter project. :lol3
    greenboy 667 likes this.
  8. greenboy 667

greenboy 667 Just say NO to BLOATOCYCLES

Oddometer:
    i do ride my Wr250R some in the winter though ; }
  9. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I contacted them a while back about fitting the rally raid parts to the nc. The radiator was an issue, if you fit the rally raid parts to the nc the extra travel caused the radiator to take a hit.
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Look at the linkage setup and positioning of the shocks on each bike. I was hoping they would be the same too.
  11. taranaki

taranaki trailer park royalty

Oddometer:
    After pondering the CB500X and Wee I'm thinking the NC might be the ticket. I've poured over the Honda site's page for the '16 but there's nothing yet on the '17.

Any word on what's in store?
  12. CrStep

CrStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not as of yet. People are suspecting it will be the same as the 2016, with maybe an additional color option.
  13. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plan B:
    http://www.motocd.com/product/ddc-complete-package/
    smithb9 and Huck369 like this.
  14. smithb9

smithb9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I plan on the DDC's, I wonder if getting the whole package will make an even greater improvement...
    I have a tuono shock sitting at home too, just need to get a stiffer spring for it
  15. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    My NC has a Sachs rear adjustable shock (w/220# spring) and Cogent Dynamics DDC fork kit (w/stiffer springs)

It is rock stable at any speed with any size load. I can haul a lot of cr@p !

It is a little stiff when I ride w/out a load (at 195 lbs).
  16. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    My NC has DDC forks with stock springs. Sag is target for my weight. Cogent Dynamic shock sprung for my weight. Ride is plush but controlled when riding solo or loaded for camping. I got the thrust bearing installed under the shock spring so the preload is easily adjusted with the collar for setting sag for solo or loaded configuration. The NC rails the corners with a little suspension work.
  17. smithb9

smithb9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm somewhat of a suspension noob, but I'm looking for a better ride on rough roads or on the dirt. the NC in stock form makes you feel every bump, and the rear skips around a bit on the dirt when accelerating. I think this is "high speed" damping that I am looking for?
  18. bamamate

Oddometer:

does sound like what you are looking for has to do with the high speed damping......fast and generally smaller movements of the suspension. Low speed damping has to do with generally larger movements which happen at a somewhat slower rate. Also the skipping of the rear shock can be caused by it getting hot from a lot of movement.
    There are a few choices for upgrading the stock suspension. I personally went racetech gold valves on the front and nitron on the rear. The front isn't that expensive. The rear is expensive. Several/many have gone with cognitive dynamics.
  19. KYRider

KYRider KYRider

Oddometer:
    Here are some pics of my slightly "farkled" 2014: https://kyrider.smugmug.com/NC700XD/.

Have it to keep my 2015 Super Tenere ES company in the stable. If has been a pleasure to ride from the day I bought it. There is a definite learning curve on managing the DCT switching between drive, sport and manual for the road and pace you are riding. Once you have the hang of it the smooth pace you can maintain is amazing. I use the Tenere for long hauls and the NC 700 for shorter rides.

Attached Files:

Huck369 and espi like this.
  20. ki_ote

ki_ote Cindi Jo Admirer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking this might be a good beginners bike for my wife. Low center of gravity, tame power from the bottom end. She's 5'9" so the seat height should be good. She's ridden with me for years and is well versed in the basics.
    Any reasons from actual owners why this wouldn't be a good starter bike?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk