Near Alamos to Rosario (or I suck at GPS)

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by Bill the Duck, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Bill the Duck

Bill the Duck Unwitting Accomplice Supporter

Oddometer:
    At Lone Rider's request I'm posting most of our track from Alamos to Rosario, but it's the unpublished bit, so I've got that going for me.

View attachment 140484

(Anybody know how to tell a 276C to use more memory for the track store?)

This road was in OK shape, not frequently used and for a while the foliage was encroaching to where riding in a rut put the hand guards into the bushes. There were a couple of places that I found difficult on my 1150 GS, but then again I'm a wuss. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful countryside, and the Dueña at the Hotel La Finca does a mean Bistek Ranchero. :nod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    If you eliminated the 3 mile wrong turn, that's a good thing. :D
  3. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Here's a tracklog I did that will get you from Creel to connect with Bill The Duck's Tracks...
  4. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I can't read these types of files.
    Does that run via Chinipas?
  5. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Bob,

Is it the format, or the tracklog (~4700 track points)?

Yes, this track runs from Creel out the low road to Bahuichivo, then to Temoris, Chinipas and then a big right to the north at Las Tanques. I think that's where y'all hooked in if you came out of Alamos. I have a few side excursions in there from attempted river crossings that didn't work out :lol3
  6. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    We need to kill a few cervezas togther. :D

From Las Tanques, the middle split, just north of the west split (near the blue water tank), is for Chinipas, and the western one is for The Duck's track, and I have no idea where the eastern split goes...yet.

I'm sure you remember that lil bitty tienda near the splits. Helpful folks.
  7. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    This is the one at the split to Chinipas or north to Mojari (where Bill's track starts)....

[​IMG]

I had an ice cream sammich and a few gallons of gas here....That other fork goes back to near Alamos, a few miles west of the town.
  8. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    The Duck might pop in here about said tiny tienda. Twas after the gas station, on the right. He took more pics than I did.

From there on to Rosario, we would never have nade it much beyond the river without asking directions from the one vehicle we enountered coming from the other direction, because the maps suck. Take the worse road left at one spilt, then take the worse road left again at the next split, etc. Eventually it evened out and we knew where we were.

Fun stuff....
  9. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    That's the stuff that make it a real adventure....just exploring and finding a way through. That's the real stuff.....too many forget about it or never get to taste it at all.
  10. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    A pleasant surprise.
    Nice, Chris....:D
  11. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    No nipples can still be good :tb
  12. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    We're looking at it. Baldwana had mentioned a couple days ago that they were having an issue with VB and part of the problem was the way it handles attachments.

He also posted this last night - linky No more attachments for a while.
  13. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Chris,
    Something's wrong with where that Pemex is placed, or at least I think there is. There's no Pemex along the left split after you leave Las Tanques until you hit the hwy way out there headed towards Rosario. IIRC, where it's placed, on that hump-shaped track, there ain't sht there - nada. This is west of the river over the good concrete bridge.
    It could very well be that I don't have enough landmarks to orient things properly.
    Actually, I 'think' there's more than one road that goes to Chinipas from Las Tanques.

An extended exploratory ride - like a month, literally - would be fun and we'd all learn a lot.

It's really, really hard to stop thinking about this stuff....:D
  14. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Thanks LR, that's what this shit is all about.
  15. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    If you want, I could put it up on my ISP's website and cross link it in.
  16. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Could very well be my mistake trying to read a small scale.
  17. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    OK, here goes, remember if you just click on it, you will see a bunch of garbage. You need to right click on it and do a save as or download file or whatever your browser gives you as an option.

Right click here and save this link to a file
  18. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Bob,

I was chatting with a local gal in Chinipas last time I went through, and she originally was from San Bernardo (a bit north of Los Tanques). She told me there's a road that runs north out of Chinipas then west to San Bernardo. It's supposed to a rugged one.

She also told me she was pretty sure you could make it from Chinipas north up to Uruachi. This is one of those roads I really want to find. From there, I know I can make it from Uruachi to Basaseachi. Maybe even connect over to Maguarichi.
  19. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    A deadend road south to Uruachi from Hwy 16 is shown on the Guia.
    This makes a lot of sense.

I remember on my way to Chinipas from Alamos seeing signs (formal green ones, in the wrong places :D ) listing towns I've not heard of nor have been able to locate on any maps.

I figured the 'left split' outta Las Tanques and to San Bernardo could get you to Chinipas. That's actually a good road all the way to the point where Duck and I turned west to go over the river, and towards Tepaui and eventually Rosario. A guess is that this road handles the big trucks working the mines, but I don't know this for sure.

If somebody is interested in this back way to Rosario, I can explain it pretty clearly via phone, but I guess there's now a GPS track for it. There are only two spots I remember where you can get screwed up, and that's because it's the worst tracks at splits.

I'd like to take a light 250 down there and have a few weeks to explore. There's no need to run more than 60mph anyway.

I have the 1:250k topos at home (didn't taken them down there) and it could be fun to sit around with some cold ones and lay the established GPS routes on those maps. Where and when? :D
  20. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I saved it...and it looks like garbage. :D

Maybe I need GPS software....