Near Alamos to Rosario (or I suck at GPS)

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by Bill the Duck, Oct 24, 2007.

1. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Yup. I just downloaded it and started from square one and it looks good. The waypoint names crack me up, "NoFrigginWay", "TooDeep", "TrickyMoFo" and my favorite "WaaayTooDeep" :lol2

It's either the version of Mapsource you are running or the "save target as" crap from your browser.
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm runing no GPS designed software.
    Can this be had from the Net via a download, or does it need to be purchased?
  3. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    New versions of Mapsource, if you are already running it are free for download from Garmin - Linky

If you don't have Mapsource, you can download the freeby version of Google Earth and open the .gpx with that, and you can view both maps and satellite imagery and even "fly" his track, just set the altitude and it will change the view angle.
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    I might try the Google Earth deal this weekend.

Eventually, I'll get back into GPS use.
  5. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Check the stickies in the GPS forum. It's pretty cool, if someone uploads a track like CMWoody's, you can "fly" it and actually see the terrain.
  6. Dudley

Dudley Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chaska, Minnesota, Palm Desert, California
    If riding from Alamos to Creel, where do you go from San Bernardo?
  7. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Phil, ya like those, eh? :lol3 I named them when I was trying to find a way across the river, and it took a few tries to find something we could get the bikes across without a boat.

Bob, the combination of Google Earth and a GPS makes for some fantastic armchair recon work. That doesn't mean you can actually get through, but I have been setting up some places to try some stuff next time I'm down there.

I mapped a route from Maguarichi to Uruachi. Dunno if it can be done, but I'm gonna give it a try next Fall in the dry season...a lot of the rivers are uncrossable during the monsoons. And I think I may have found a route from Uruachi that would eventually take you to Chinipas. That would complete a really, really nice Copper Canyon loop.

We definitely need to meet up one day with a case of beer and a pile of maps, and brainstorm for a bit.

:patch