NEBDR and MABDR back to back during COVID 19

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by srelegante, Sep 7, 2020.

1. srelegante

srelegante srelegante Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pull up a chair, grab a coffee and prepare yourself for the most boring RR you will read all day.

There are three inmates involved in this epic adventure-srelegante, babysealGS and ez-e-adventure. Srelegante has been riding for 15 years, 5 offroad. BabySealGS Ez-e-adventure have been riding about 5 years in total. EZ and SE are from Atlanta and BabySeal is from Maine. BabySeal shipped his bike to Atlanta to start the journey back north.

One of the cardinal rules of motorcycle travel is to own a bike for an extended duration before embarking upon a significant journey. So, each of us acquired new-to-us bikes specifically for this trip. Well done boys!

Srelegante ended up trading his well set up Super Tenere for a comparably well set up 2010 990R Adventure a few weeks before leaving. EZ bought a well set up 2016 WR250R a month before departure and BabySeal being a confirmed BMW rider, scored a mint 2007 XChallenge 650 from a dealer 30 days prior as well.

Given the pandemic situation, I had turned down an opportunity to do the NEBDR with some other folks, just not feeling comfortable coming from Atlanta, one of the hotter spots in the country. EZ has a family member who is on the COVID task team and he had done extensive research to know where we were going and the stats on each county we would be passing through, in addtion to the protocol we would need to follow.

So when the opportunity came up to do the MABDR, I thought it would a good repsite and that I could peal off at the end in North PA. We were equipped to camp along the way, so I ran the hard bags and a top bag, knowing the MABDR was not as rigourous as the NEBDR.

So between the three of us, one was the navigation director, one the COVID expert and one the mechanical director.

The MABDR is a lovely ride, if you have not done it. We had great weather, albeit quite hot. It is not very technical, but should still be taken seriously, especially with a lot of rain. Large ADV bikes or smaller bikes both work well on that route. The scenery is very pretty-Appalachia is home to multiple moutain ranges and some very scenic, historic towns.

By the time we had finished the MABDR, the bikes were performing flawlessly, we gelled as a unit and I decided to stay on to complete the NEBDR.

Some of the New England states were on the list of states I had not seen, so this was a bucket list item. I am so happy I decided to continue-the NEBDR is a fantastic ride and the states you travel through are just as fantastic. Having grown up in Central New York and spending 25 years living in Atlanta, it was refreshing to be back in the North East.

As most BDR routes have harder sections and easier sections, we did all hard sections, less one we skipped for time and weather. It is much more challenging that the MABDR, no question. When I left Atlanta, the rear tire was new and the front was 50% consumed. I scored a new front tire in Maryland at Ridersville Cycle-they had me in and out in no time. I am glad I did-I consumed the second front tire on the NEBDR.

BabySeal scored a new rear tire in the Finger Lakes at Southern Tier Honda, which was a good find. That is one observation I might offer-inventories are thin-plan accordingly. Also, if you will be in the market for a new, used bike-you might consider waiting until 2021 or 2022 as the amount of new bikes that have been sold is staggering-I suspect they will be hitting the secondary market in large amounts, but I could be wrong.

So as you can imagine-my packing approach for the MABDR caused me some challenges on the NEBDR. I was overloaded, without a doubt. If you are running a big bike on the NEBDR, bring your "A" game or a lot of friends-some of those roads are not without challenge. We came thru during a drought, so whatever rain they recieved immediately prior to us passing thru was soaked up quickly.

In total, we camped about 50% of the time and scored some private accomodations due to our Mainard connection. As is my general travel policy, I requested we take a boat ride when we got to Portland. For some reason, a boat ride in a new town normally adds addtional perspective and this was no different. The coast of Maine is world class-about 3k miles of coastline and hundreds of islands. One has to navigate cautiously as there are lobster traps everywhere. New Hampshire has some epic hiking opportunities and Vermont is just gorgeous.

For time reasons I elected to ship and fly back, while EZ rode back, stopping to see family on the way.

All of the bikes performed flawlessly. We went thru 4 tubes, two tires, 1.5 quarts of oil and a bunch of fuel.

Being a 20th century American history major in college it is fascinating to me to see how each of the different states, counties for that matter, can be so different. Given the struggles the US has right now, this trip was very educational. Mark Twain was so accurate when he penned that
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Hope this helps plan your trip-drop me a note with anything I can help with.

Footnote-the reason there is a pic of the waitress is that I asked her if she knew who Pink Floyd was and she did not. She said she liked the shirt and just bought it. We explained to her who they were and she put the Pink Floyd channel on television as we at breakfast-she said she really liked it!

One last note-yes, that is Dicky Betts' signature on the HD gas tank!

Safe travels and tip well-people are struggling now.

August
    13th - Brookhaven, GA
    14th - Brookhaven, GA
    15th - Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge
    16th - Backbone Rock Campground (Tennessee - just south of Damascus)
    17th - Woods Hole Hostel
    18th - Hillcrest Motel
    19th - Smoke Hole Cottage
    20th - Cunningham Falls State Park
    21st - Greenwood Furnace State Park
    22nd - Little Pine State Park
    23rd - ZUKs
    24th - Hancock House Hotel
    25th - Dirt Road Camp
    26th - Taconic State Park
    27th - Bascom Lodge
    28th - The Fan House
    29th - River Meadow Campground
    30th- Yurt
    31st - Morin Camp

September
    1st - Morin Camp
    2nd - Gray, Maine
    3rd - Gray, Maine

SE IMG_5675.JPG IMG_5681.jpg IMG_5663.jpg IMG_5669.jpg
  2. srelegante

Oddometer:
  3. srelegante

Oddometer:
  4. srelegante

Oddometer:
  5. srelegante

Oddometer:
  6. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice Pics, some re-post though.
    srelegante likes this.
  7. srelegante

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Finally figured out how to clean it up!
  8. NCJ

NCJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. RememberTheFallen

RememberTheFallen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great trip Curt!
    srelegante likes this.
  10. srelegante

Oddometer:
    Thanks JW! Great to hear from you.
    RememberTheFallen likes this.
  11. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool and you did ride the easiest BDR and the second hardest BDR..Kudos to you.
  12. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. srelegante

Oddometer:

It is worth it to spend the night at the lodge.
    Great fireplace, beer and dining!
    The ride up Greylock was surprisingly fun. I was expecting all pavement to the summit, but there are some great sections of gravel/dirt roads.
    GF-kam likes this.