NEBDR on a DRZ400 and KLR650

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cassimonee, Nov 10, 2020.

1. mymotovation

mymotovation OORAH

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the great write-up of your ride. The photos are absolutely stunning.
  2. cassimonee

cassimonee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I’m glad you liked it!
  3. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    That was a very good report and great pictures. Thanks for the effort. Can you explain the term Class # for the trails? Is #1 easiest or Hardest? cheers.
  4. cassimonee

cassimonee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! “Class 4” is a term used by the department of transportation to describe the road. I’m not sure what Class 1, 2, or 3 are but Class 4 is unmaintained and generally a difficult road to ride
    eaglescan likes this.
  5. DriftlessMike

DriftlessMike Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent RR. Great photos, too! I really like the Reckless 40’s, too.
  6. cassimonee

cassimonee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! These are actually reckless 80s om the KLR
  7. Long Trail

Long Trail ADV Ready

Oddometer:

Class 4 roads in Vermont are old roads that are no longer maintained. Some (many) of them were built for horse and carriage many years ago. As technology and road building advanced the routes were reconfigured and these right of ways were left as they were. They remain a legal right of way still and make for great dual sport riding. Many people take Jeep’s and other four wheel drive vehicles on them. The roads vary in difficulty with some being extremely technical, others are are a simple jaunt through the woods despite not being maintained for years.

Often times these “roads” end up in someone’s backyard so it is integral to show respect when around homes or encountering other people on them. Some have been closed for vehicle traffic because of residents complaining. There are some jackasses out there ripping things up.

The NEBDR utilizes several of these class 4 roads. I honestly don’t think any roads are classified as # 1, 2, or 3. If so they are not commonly referred to that way.
  8. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! You guys really had a bunch of bike issues to contend with. Sounds like it didn't dampen your spirits much though.
  9. cassimonee

cassimonee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! When you have 20 year old bikes, you kind of expect issues haha. I’ve also never had a long trip without some kind of mechanical failure on all the bikes I’ve owned
    GravelRider likes this.
  10. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, and your first one! I enjoyed the way you covered the good and the bad without getting grumpy. Just deal with it, it’s an Adventure after all. Some excellent photos of the fall colors too.
  11. cassimonee

cassimonee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I think a lot of it comes to managing expectations and mentality about the ride - from the very beginning both Elliot and I had agreed that we didn’t need 100% completion of the NEBDR and just wanted to have fun. That took a lot of stress away when you have obstacles that derail your plans

like you said - it’s an adventure! And if everything went perfectly it wouldn’t have been as good of a story
    i4bikes, Old Codger and Geezerguy like this.
  12. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed! On both points!
    cassimonee likes this.
  13. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic RR. Love writeup and the photos. Can you share what photo gear you used?
  14. cassimonee

cassimonee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It’s a combo of phone photos, GoPro Hero 7 photos, and DSLR photos. I have a Nikon D600 running a Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 lens and a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 lens. I carry a tripod with me as well and various 77mm filters 24-70mm lens
  15. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyable writeup and lovely pictures!
    dano619 and cassimonee like this.
  16. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Great report. I enjoyed it lots. My wife and I did this two up going the other direction this past July. The weather was great the entire time but Covid was really the issue. And we didn't get the spectacular leaves. Glad it all worked out. I'm looking forward to going back and doing it solo sometime.
    cassimonee likes this.
  17. cassimonee

cassimonee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can’t imagine doing this two up - kudos to you! Glad the weather was nice, that makes a huge difference. Covid was an issue for us as well but we mostly wild camped and very rarely ate indoors or interacted with people so our exposure was limited
    rbsride365 likes this.
  18. TexasStevo

TexasStevo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I half heartedly clicked on the report, started to scan really fast, saw a KLR, I was ready to bail at any moment......but then was intrigued, slowed down, then started over from the top and read/looked at it all as it unfolded. Really nice, the writing, the details, bike issues, fixes, logical approaches to your situations, good pics, the colors. Wish you could have finished....for you and for me :-) You seem like really cool people, I will keep an eye out for future stuff from you.

I am a Texas boy and have spent my life playing in the dirt in my neck of the woods and when I travel out of state to play, it is states that touch my state due to time constraints or big mountain states out west with big pay offs. I have long wanted to see the northeast, the history, the colors etc. (not the big apple). Always figured it would be an old guy in a pick up truck with the wifey type thing when I was retired. But.....your report expanded my brain a little bit. I wish my wife would do something like this with me on bikes, but not in the cards, she doesn't enjoy that game at that level. She is a day rider on a quad type girl, not a 2 wheeler and not in for the adventure grind off of one. And I don't know that I can talk any of my buddies into going that far, they already think I am nuts on the other trips I put together. But as I took your report in, I just envisioned my wife meeting up with me at camp sites, she thinks I am nuts as well, but has to live with me. She could have our 4wd and she could explore her own stuff during the day, city or countryside, and find me in the evenings. Sort of a chase truck concept. We could compare our days and still share in the experience of a part of the world neither one of us has ever soaked up. We have done lots of Rocky Mountain and desert stuff together, but nothing out east. I had been sort of contemplating the MABDR in recent years (same reasons, intrigued with part of the country I have never experienced), usually shrug it off in comparison to the west/BDRs that end up drawing me in. But never did I contemplate a NEBDR, not for a second, till today. Again, thanks for your report, you never know who you will influence. You are either that good, or I am that much of an impressionable dreamer, or perhaps both.

Thanks, Stevo
    snglfin, Bagooba and cassimonee like this.
  19. cassimonee

cassimonee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Stevo! I understand the apprehension of the KLR hahaha

If your wife likes 4 wheelers, there is a lot of opportunity for that especially in Maine. Lots of dedicated ATV trails that are part of the route and some bonus trails that you buy a permit for. You could both ride those portions together easily, and there is sooooo much to do other than riding up in these areas.

I hope you make it up to New England some day, it really is amazing! I’m glad I could inspire you :)
  20. Bagooba

Bagooba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great Ride Report, Paddle Board on Pond was one of my favorite pictures ... Loved the colors, the reflection of the colors thru the fog onto the pond, Really beautiful picture! Have a 2005 Triumph Tiger but keep thinking I need to "Downsize" to a Dr650 or Xr650L and now maybe the DRZ400, only problem would be that I'm a little bigger than you appear! So power might be an issue for me?!? Thanks for sharing your ride with us...