1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Nebraska...Omaha area...

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by fifthcircle, Jan 21, 2005.

1. flip18436572

flip18436572 Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer:
    We have some trails by our river that we have access to currently. Unfortunately the quad riders have been tearing up the dike and the police and sheriff departments are trying to close it down. I live in Red Oak, IA.
  2. kschlotz

kschlotz n00b

Oddometer:
    I am in Atlantic, I would enjoy meeting with you a ride. I have found some places here to explore, when spring has sprung, I'll let you know if I find any good spots. Right now my oldest son and I explore gravel and dirt roads, looking for fishing ponds, experiening nature and of course looking for places to ride. My boy's friend is going to show us spots, old quarries etc.
  3. IAHillbilly

IAHillbilly 400 miles from everywhere

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, usually just another lurker here but I thought I should pipe up. I'm from the Northwest IA area, and if I am reading this post correctly there seems to be about 6 of us within the 100 mile radius of Omaha.

Im the owner of a new 1200GS, and the little bit of riding that I have gotten in the past couple weeks has exceeded my expectations with the bike. Last weekend I was able to put the 600 miles on that I needed for the first service, and most of the miles were in the Loess Hills that some of you guys may be familiar with.

Anyway, thought I would pop in. Glad to hear there are some other riders from this forum around
  4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, We have a pretty big group here near Omaha. We just had like 25 show up for our monthly "First Saturday" breakfast and ride. Yahoo group at

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskamotorcycleriders/

There's also another forum mostly guys who race/track day at Mid America Motorplex

http://www.riderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=46

Unfortunately, I destroyed my right shoulder on Dec 26 when I crashed my DRZ at the OHV area in Council Bluffs. Probably won't be riding until June.

All riders are welcome, although we do give cruiser guys a rash of shit :evil
    Our local street rides usually head north over in the Loess Hills of Iowa, but we occasionally head south too. Many of us are also into dirt/dual sport.
    Check out the forums or email me at tbirdsp@yahoo.com any time. :D
  5. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Well looky there. We have a friggin group going:D We will have to all get togather once the weather is more cooperative...60mph wind is not ideal riding if you ask me!
    hey kschlotz- I may have talked to you on here earlier but I graduated from AHS in 96. Still have some friends that are back in the area.
  6. flip18436572

Oddometer:
    Are you riding dual sport in the Loess Hills??? Or are you just riding the winding county roads in the hills. I have a DRZ, and riding long times on the road just isn't much fun. I am looking at buying a street bike for the road and using my DRZ for the trails.

There is supposed to be trails that take you from Red Oak to Elliott and then from Elliott to Griswold, but from what we have found out, unless you want to ride in the crappy sand near the river, or ride on the railroad tracks, most of those old trails are gone and fences have been put up, because of people deciding that their quad or motorcycle is more important than the land that is owned by the farmer. Then the farmer blocks off the access to the property that we used to ride.

I would like to know more about your group rides.
  7. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Hey, I live in Dubuque. Is that close enough?
  8. elektron

elektron effin ef

Oddometer:
    i did what your handle is.

it was awesome.. i have a picture :

[​IMG]

i don't have a spedometer anymore.. got a brake cable tho..
  9. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Sure, just come on over to Omaha and look for someone on a bike. Wave him over and ask for directions to where the "COOL" people hang out.:rofl

OOPS! Did you get hurt or just jump up laughing?
  10. flip18436572

Oddometer:
    I actually don't flip my drz, but it looks like that was an expensive crash. Aren't those around $350 to replace? My DRZ, has the CFC case covers, and the Unabiker radiator guards, to try and keep the expensive things protected. What did you flip that thing onto a boulder or roll it down a hill?
  11. elektron

elektron effin ef

Oddometer:
    well actually, i flipped it in a parking lot showing off.. i was not on the motorcycle when it landed.. jump off of it, no use 'sinking with the ship'.

i guess i have no captain's pride :-/

-----------------
    Boys will be boys, and so will a lot of middle-aged men.
    -- Kin Hubbard
  12. flip18436572

Oddometer:
    What are you running for speedo now???

Did anyone ride this weekend? I only got work done in the garage, and it was on my cars and not motorcycles.
  13. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    I have not ridden in a while. Since the "windy" weekend a few weeks ago. I am eagerly looking forward to warm weather.

I need to figure out when I can take a long trip this summer. At the least 4-5 days with some camping and lots of riding. Anyone have any Ideas? I was thinking that the Suzuki Cyclefest in Coppper Mtn Colorado (not until August) would be alot of fun. But that is a long time to wait!!
  14. Red Roadster

Red Roadster Roaming Redneck

Oddometer:
    I ain't rode much for a couple of weeks myself. Been working on my shop and getting ready to build an engine for my 70 Chevy pick-up.

Anybody going to the Freestyle MX this weekend???????? I'm takin the wife and kid on Saturday, let me know if any of ya'll want to meet somewhere. We're going to the car show as well, so we'll probly make a day of it.

I'm really thinking of quitting my job in June. I broke my leg in several places last year in a skiing crash at Breckenridge, so I couldn't ride much at all last summer. This year I intend to make up for it. I just moved here from Wyoming last August, so I'll volunteer to play tour guide for any of you guys that want to ride CO, WY, MT, UT, or ID. I'm talking with a buddy in Cheyenne about going up through WY, Beartooth pass, Flathead range, Glacier NP, through Lolo pass into ID and then over to Washington. Pick up Hwy 1 and ride it south to the redwood trees in CA, then back through Nevada, Utah, Southwest Colorado, Ouray, Montrose etc, and then back home. If anyone wants to ride all or part, let me know. All of these states have abundant National Forest and BLM ground to camp on, so the trip won't cost too much. That's enough typing for now. Hope to see some of you guys this weekend.
  15. flip18436572

Oddometer:
    I was going to take my daughters to it, but I am going to be working all weekend again, so my free time isn't going to allow it. Have fun, and maybe we can meet up sometime. We need to find a dual sport ride area, so we can post in the ride reports and see if we can get more people interested in the Mid West, instead of the South East and South West. :D
  16. twowheeljunky

twowheeljunky Chicken Basket

Oddometer:
    I live in Omaha and would be game for some dual sport riding. I just purchased an XRL a couple of months ago and have been using the bike mostly for commuting, but I'm looking forward to doing some longer weekend rides. I can't wait for spring, or at least better weather than this weekend.
  17. dirtdoc

dirtdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Fifthcircle, there is a group of us in Norfolk and Neligh, Ne. about 120 mi. to the northwest. we have been working on a loop from Verdigree west and north to the Mo. river. Lots of really bitchen gravel and clay roads. We are looking at doing an informal gathering in April.
  18. dtsv650r

dtsv650r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me know, sounds like a fun ride!
  19. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Jack, is that you? :ear
  20. dirtdoc

dirtdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mike, it is Bill, the idiot mini racer