Neck and face protection

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Hacksaw, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need some advice from some of you cold weather guys.
    I wear a Darien jacket and pants and full face helmet. What works for you in keeping your neck and head warm? I bought a pull over thin ski mask looking outfit today. 35% cotton, 65% polyester. It didn't do the trick. I've had better results with a skull cap and bandana, but not real comfortable.:dunno

It gets in the teens once in a great while.
  2. FormerInmate 081920

FormerInmate 081920 Guest

Oddometer:
  3. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ordered an Aerostich Evap-o-danna, but I think I actually got a wind triangle; if what they sent me is really a "miracle fabric" that "can hold up to nine times it weight in water", then I should buy stock in the textile industry as what I got sure seems to be nothing more than simple felt.

It is essentially a traingle with velcro, nylon on one side and felt on on the other side. I can soak it in water and when riding in heat it does cool a little, but I have found it is better dry and used to keep my neck warm in the winter (I wear a Darian too).

It doesn't do anything for my head, but it does keep my neck warm.

FWIW,
    LCB
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Lauren, I had an evapodana and lost it out of an open Darien chest pocket on the way to Redmond last year (i think we *need* a ridin' retards thread), so I don't know how well it works. I do know that it's made out of different stuff than the wind triangle. Nonetheless, being somewhat of a non-pencilneck, it didn't fit very good anyway. This year, I picked up the other rectangular neckwarmer, and it fits nicely, if not a little bulky. $14 in fleece. Let's see if I can find a photo...hmmm...<clickety click>

[​IMG]

I see they have a "shellclava" and the turtle logo looks familiar. $15.

[​IMG]

And then this thermal thing...$13

[​IMG]
  5. XtreemLEE

XtreemLEE insignificant being...

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

6. FormerInmate 081920

Oddometer:
    new avatar there X? cool!:coo:
  7. FormerInmate 081920

Oddometer:
  8. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    to protect and to serve.

besides, it gives me something to do while minding the children. :smile6 Momma's out having a "spa day", so it's just me, three kids, three motorcycles, and three cases of Sierra Nevada :cool:
  9. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys
    Looks like the shellclava going to be the ticket.:):
  10. cmunger

cmunger n00b

Oddometer:
    Went to Academy Sports and bought a Columbia "neck" gator in the ski equipment sections. Polar fleece. $8.00. Pulls over your head and fits nicely under chin strap and covers your neck. Riding in Texas Hill Country in 30degrees w/o problem. I wear mine on top my Vanson vest, under jacket colar of course. Don't have to remove it when taking off helmet for drinking/ eating/spitting/etc. just roll it down.