Neck Braces. Good or Bad. Latest Facts & info.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Blakduk, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm interested to know how many riders use the straps and how many do not. You never see the straps during the video reviews.

I'd also like to see the crash data if the straps are not used. I'm guessing that the brace would bounce around during a crash and possibly cause more harm.
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Leatt instructions said the straps are not necessary for the brace to work properly. If adjusted properly there is so little movement it cannot get out of position.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  3. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Airbag vests/jackets with neck protection, might play a role.
    Uke likes this.
  4. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wear a brace on the street and am considering a vest. The tethered vests are re-useable - deflate, put in a new CO2 and go on your way. Off road it might be true that armor and a brace is better, because you fall more at low speeds - and off-road braces are more restrictive of neck movement.

Beyond the neck - many of the air vests provide good rib protection, and enable easy use of chest protectors (the cause of a majority of deaths after accident ).
  5. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    I had read that the CO2 vests take too long to inflate to provide real protection. I'd be interested in any links showing test results.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  6. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    I never used the straps with a tightly adjusted backpack, as the chest strap and shoulder straps always held the brace down just the same.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  7. TomServo

TomServo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking into getting a brace for riding on the street and picked up an EVS R4k over the weekend. Wore it today over my AST Olympia jacket and it seemed to stay in place. I could move my head pretty freely but I could still "bump" the brace with my helmet before I ran out of flex of my neck. Any reason I shouldn't use it in this way?

I contacted Atlas to investigate their offerings but they told me that their braces are to be worn against the body and that they would not recommend I use their braces in this manner.

I'm not trying to spark another debate over pros and cons of this type of gear overall, but rather looking for input from those who are using them in a similar way that I am.
  8. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    I've been using a Leatt on ever ride for the past five years or so...
    Long story short, about a year ago I was riding a sport bike (commuting) I got hit from the side as a car changed lanes into me, I managed to not hit the car to my right, split the gap, but unfortunately, hit the back of the car in the next lane over at about 35 mph. I went head first right though the rear window of a Volkswagen Tiguan.
    I'm pretty sure the Leatt saved my life. My neck wasn't even really that sore the next few days.

Just my opinion and experiene.
    Q~
  9. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again

I use a Leatt STX on the street - works fine over my jackets. The key is to make sure that it works with your back pad - the STX fits around the backpad. My other Leatt is off road only because it won't fit over a jacket.
  10. TomServo

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm thinking that the STX is probably the best way to go. It's pricey but how much is walking worth me?? Quite a bit :)
    eddyturn likes this.
  11. markk53

Oddometer:
    I've used mine over a coat too. It seats in well.

I can tell you it cost around $103,000 in my case. So the cost of the brace is negligible in relation to that.

I actually bought two used. One was in good shape, $70, the other was virtually new at $150 or so. I sold the extra one for the price paid - $70. You can find them on pinkbike.com a bicycle site. I got a DBX which is the same as the GPX, but slightly different soft pads for bicycling. They have both motorcycle and bicycle braces riders have for sale. Use PayPal and you have recourse should someone try to burn you, same as ebay.
  12. aldend123

aldend123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are an increasing number of jackets designed to be worn around a brace. Leatt makes a jacket for this, and I believe Scott and Fox's Legion both were available like that. They have extra material around the neck for the brace.

This one is very prominent, but many of the designs aren't as bad.

[​IMG]
  13. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think Motoport also offers a neck brace as an option for their jackets.
  14. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    I ordered this one and it seemed to work well but my body armour was too big and needed to go up to xl which is out of stock. Otherwise a good jacket. I resorted to a Klim powercross and my brace and Tekvest over top. This seems to work well.
  15. shadowchrome

shadowchrome Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a brand new Leatt STX in 2XL that I bought to wear over my jacket and then I came across a deal on a Klim Adventure Rally jacket that is neck brace compatible. $225.00 shipped if you're interested.
  16. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every time I see my riding buddy trying to do the things he used to do effortlessly before his accident I think that the minor inconvenience of wearing a neck brace is worth it. He has these exact symptoms.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  17. markk53

Oddometer:
    I was fortunate, I lost about 5% on my left leg. Two years ago after a broken ankle I actually concentrated on proper walking method which helped a lot. Actual concentration on the necessary moves. It cut out the limp and frequent scuffing of toes. I'd trip regularly when walking up steps until I started the concentration on doing so. The pain did teach me to deal with it without medication. Kind of odd in a way, but knowing it is essentially phantom pain helps a bit. Now with some knee issues I am able to deal with most of the pain and continue to walk properly, still hurts (the knee) but I deal with it without medication.

There was a kid in the hospital who crashed at a harescramble, low speed over a small drop off. No biggie, but he landed head first. He was actually worse off than I was. Apparently he compressed the discs in his neck, pinching the cord apparently bad enough to create worse permanent injury than I had. He came in after me and was seeing my progress. He commented that I was like his inspiration to try to do all that could be done. Knowing how hard it was to struggle to go, it is hard to realize someone sees inspiration in it. I don't know if a collar would have avoided what happened to him or not. A direct shot might not have the helmet hit the brace all around, but if it was related to any forward/backward/side to side roll the brace might have done the job. Still makes you wonder.
    Mr. Canoehead and Brtp4 like this.
  18. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am an over 50 A class rider dealing with bi-level spine fusion done in November 2015. Although the surgery gave me back the use of my left hand and arm, which I am grateful for, riding and racing a dirt bike left my neck sore along with nerve pain. In an effort to keep riding and racing, I switched to the lightest helmet I could find, a Kali Shiva, and started wearing a 2016 Leatt GPX 5.5.

The difference is quite profound. Even though you do not feel it working, the brace limits my neck movement enough that I have noticeable less spine soreness and nerve pain. If it helps in a crash that is a bonus. I just finished a 77 mile race with 50 miles of special tests and felt great. I will never ever ride without my Leatt just because it allows me to keep riding without the soreness and pain I would experience post-ride before I started wearing it.
    Valentino, LostInPA and Mr. Canoehead like this.
  19. markk53

Oddometer:
    Atta boy! keep playing.
  20. TomServo

Oddometer:
    Pulled the trigger today on an STX. Some people have commented to me (elsewhere) that it seems like overkill and unnecessary for the street but I don't see it that way. Take so little time to put on and even riding with the EVS one I still feel more relaxed knowing it is there just in case.
    diegosaenz likes this.