Neck Braces. Good or Bad. Latest Facts & info.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Blakduk, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, Too far to the mountains and too cold
    That's correct. Ned said that they made him sit through an information session on the benefits but he opted out because he wasn't used to wearing one. That was a few years ago, they might be mandatory now. IIRC, everyone seemed to have them this year.

Ned also wore his Klim Adventure jacket in the race, but all the publicity photos showed him wearing a Badlands jacket - for the same reason, he was more comfortable.
  2. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    Yeah, really interesting topic. I sometimes "almost" think of having one for my adv riding. Until now I don't use one with my adv riding.
    I see so many MX (well, let's talk about MX first) racers and good MX players they don't wear FULL gears as the amateurs riders.
    Why? Because the amateur or the newbie like me easily to crash, the crash frequency of amateur and newbie is much more than the Pro?
    May be. But I think the other way round. The amateur or newbie may easily to crash, some silly stupid crashes, the frequency of crash may be higher than the Pro, agreed. But the severity of the crashes will be very much higher with the Pro. Their speed is much higher, they fly much higher, the terrain of their ride are more challenge, tougher than what the amateur or newbie have - so definitely their crash will normally much more serious.
    Then again, why the Pro wears less safety gear (i.e. neck brace) than others?
    I can think of some reasons:
    - They care of the race result too much, I don't wanna say they care about the podium more than their lives, but seem like that.
    - Looks like someone really trust their skill, "crash skill" included, so no need full gear.
    - An interesting reason may be: they had been crashed too many times in the past, then they feel crashing is sort of normal thing, even fun.
    - An even more interesting reason: they had too many crashes in the past, then inside their body they already have full of after market parts, all of them are aluminum, stainless steel or even titanium... and with aftermarket parts of your body, you don't need to worry too much.

:rofl

I myself think that the neck brace only help when you have high speed crash or highside, or from a jump failure.
    When I play dirtbike on the track, I really think of having a neck brace, as I can imagine how bad my head or neck could be if having a jump failure.
    But when riding adv bike, on some of adv trails/routes, I don't think I need a neck brace. Because the speed is not too high, and normally having the bike or body DROPs, or lowside, and the chance of highside is very small.
  3. norcalwrx

norcalwrx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take the pros out of the picture. You can even look at something like nascar, where head restraints DO make a huge difference, and remember the huge pushback from the drivers when they forced them to wear it?
  4. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Exactly. :nod What the pros do relates only to them.

I'm not a pro, I'm just some tosser riding an XL dirt bike, sometimes beyond my limits. I'll be wearing a neck brace when I ride off road.
  5. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    On May 30, I was out riding with two friends. One of them did not arrive at a regroup point, so I went back to check on him. He was down with the bike on top of him. He had hit a rock (late in the day, tired, did not see it), got kicked over the bars headfirst into a stump, breaking C6-7, and paralyzing him from the neck down. He was not wearing a brace. His helmet was pushed forward and down into his chest, bending his neck forward and slightly left, breaking C6 / C7, and paralyzing him from the neck down. He was extraordinarily fortunate in that he only bruised his spinal cord, and did not damage it. So, he will make an 80% to 100% recovery. Still, it will take a year to a year and a half, and how complete is uncertain until then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously I am thrilled that he is OK. It is now a goal of mine to learn as much as I can regarding this topic. This is hard to do, there is little discussion about the mechanics of them, and lots of bickering. FWIW, his neuro, who is also a rider, wears a brace.

BP
    Uke and PYG RYDR like this.
  6. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Does the Leatt 5.5 fit over random jackets?

How long has the 5.5 been on the market? In other words, is the next new and improved model just around the corner?
  7. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

I generally ride alone, so it only has to fit my jacket...no chest protector.

I do see Leatt claiming improvements on the new for 2015 6.5, what's another $100 if I'm going to do this.

www.leatt.com/shop/braces/moto-gpx/offroad-adult/gpx-6-5.html
  8. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in neck braces as I've now had three bike accidents. The worst one was 2 broken collar bones and 4 broken ribs, still nothing compared to spinal injuries.

For those who have a neck brace on on a naked bike: Does it affect the noise (turbulent airflow) arond the bottom of the helmet? My 1200GS is naked, just a mini screen.
  9. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Last night I tried my new 5.5 over my Badlands Pro, my Scorpion Yosemite and with my enduro riding gear, ie pressure suit and jersey. Works well with all of them and my Shoei Hornet. :thumb
    Nacho911 likes this.
  10. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't the 6.5 the same thing as the 5.5 only in carbon fiber so it is lighter weight? Think it is the same otherwise.
  11. 400psi

400psi Cropdusting

Oddometer:
    Heres' my set up:

I wear my GPX race with a Leatt adventure chest protector. I have tried using a neck brace with a Thor impact rig and did not like it which is unfortunate because the Thor is a good piece of kit. I really wanted to like the Leatt 5.5 but they seemed quite heavy so I went the CP. With the Leatt CP I don't notice the neck brace at all (evidenced by the amount of times I try to take the cp off before realizing I have forgotten the brace).

I ride primarily off-road and dualsport with the cp on the outside of my jersey. I use a nacpack with no problems.

I use two helmets, a Bell Moto 8 and a Shoei vfxw . I have a fairly short neck and have no problem with fit or chin bar length with these.
    In the winter or cooler months, I have both a klim traverse and powercross jersey that I wear. With the traverse I do not wear the cp but wear the brace on the exterior of my jacket. This is primarily for a street ride though.
    With the powercross, I wear the cp on the outside along with the neckbrace. I really like this set up but I do find that I prefer to wear the Bell over the Shoei as it has a slightly shorter chin bar and is more comfortable without adjusting the brace table.

For what its worth. The fit of the Leatt CP is good and I love the compatibility with the brace. The elastic is junk . I use leatt elbow guards which I like. They don't fall down or cause arm pump.

We spend a ton of money on mods for our bikes but balk at a few hundred for safety gear???......and I'm guilty of this. I wont ride without mine now though

Just my experience.....
  12. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Not according to the verbiage at Leatt, 5.5 is a 2014 and the 6.5 is a 2015 with a bunch of differences.
  13. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    From their website:

LINK

Looking at it, it's almost identical to my 5.5 with the only obvious differences being the 6.5 is carbon fiber and has holes in the back support pieces. The 5.5 is still for sale as well. :dunno
  14. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    6.5:

New MaxiWeave Carbon matrix for increased rigidity and lower weight.
    Lightweight 600g still very ridgid without flex
    New helmet rim striking platform profile.
    New improved helmet side clearance.
    New on-board size adjusting. No parts needed
    New on board 4-angle rear thoracic adjustment.- 0, 5 and 10°

Those are the listed new things over the 2014 5.5.

You can also visibly see the things that are different between the two.

Then in the additional info section there are more differences:

6.5:

COLLAR BONE CUT OUT SECTION Yes
    ENGINEERED SNAP-OFF THORASIC STRUT Yes
    BUILT IN LEATT PROTECTION PROVIDED BY LEATT PATENTED ALPT Yes
    BIO MECHANICAL ADJUSTABILITY FOR INDIVIDUAL ERGONOMICS Yes
    ADJUSTABLE HEAD RANGE OF MOTION (FRONT) Yes
    ADJUSTABLE HEAD RANGE OF MOTION (BACK) Yes
    SPARE PARTS AVAILABLE Yes
    REPLACEABLE PADDING No
    PADDING / STICKER KITS AVAILABLE No
    KEVLAR REINFORCED CARBON PARTS Yes

5.5:

COLLAR BONE CUT OUT SECTION Yes
    ENGINEERED SNAP-OFF THORASIC STRUT Yes
    BUILT IN LEATT PROTECTION PROVIDED BY LEATT PATENTED ALPT Yes
    BIO MECHANICAL ADJUSTABILITY FOR INDIVIDUAL ERGONOMICS Yes
    ADJUSTABLE HEAD RANGE OF MOTION (FRONT) No
    ADJUSTABLE HEAD RANGE OF MOTION (BACK) No
    SPARE PARTS AVAILABLE Yes
    REPLACEABLE PADDING No
    PADDING / STICKER KITS AVAILABLE No
    KEVLAR REINFORCED CARBON PARTS No
  15. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks for that Larry. Looks like Leatt has engineered in some additional adjustability. I would have said my 5.5 has adjustable range of motion based on which pads I choose, but there must be something beyond that.
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:

I think statements like that were said by:

• the last NHL goalie that didn't wear a mask that "ate a puck",
    • the last football player wearing a helmet without a face guard with a foot in his face
    • the last baseball player not wearing a batting helmet being beaned,
    • the last catcher not wearing a cup, "catching" a foul tip! :eek1
    • the last pro motocross and road racers not wearing
      • pudding bowl helmets in the 60s...
      • full face helmets now, testing the surface conditions.

Actually the goalie wore a mask in practice, he went without in the game, saying something about vision... mask had to be better than an eye swelled shut and stitches... he was missing some teeth though. :huh

Either way, personal choice, no worries on my part.
  17. Rikki Rockett

Rikki Rockett MOTORCYCLE EVANGELIST

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at the Alpinestars Carbon brace because I have a contact over there. Anyone have any experience with that one or any of the Aplinestars braces? Their other protection seems great.
  18. markk53

Oddometer:
    I stuck the front wheel into a double doing the same injury, C6, my head snapped forward hard enough to shatter the fat part of the bone. One piece was impingining (med wording) on my spinal cord by 5mm. The operation took 2 hours longer to pick out the bone chips with care. I had about 95% recovery of all faculties, but it took a month to learn to walk again and a year to get back to the new normal, a bit of loss in muscle use in my left leg, reduced stamina, and constant nerve "burn" sensation in my arms around the elbow.

Funny story from a recent chest X-ray for pneumonia, which I regrettably had. Note: my fusion was done from the right front of my neck, since it was the front portion of the spine injured.

So the doctor reading the X-ray comes in the room. He shows me the X-ray, nothing special to me, just showing the cloudiness in my lung. Bummer, onset of pneumonia from bronchitis... sucks, only a week left in school to wrap up student work.

Then the doctor says, "Did you swallow something like a nail?" I said no, nothing. He points to the prominent slightly angled pin in my neck and says, "You sure of that?" I laugh, realizing what he is asking. I said I'd be more concerned if that pin wasn't there.

Seems he'd not seen a fusion and pin from the front, going in from the back is more common. He was ready to do soft tissue testing and other stuff, totally convinced I had swallowed a nail or piece of wire. Took several assurances to get him to understand what was done.

All the work was done through about a 4" long incision along my throat. The doctor was good... real good. He had said many doctors don't want to try to do what he did. It could give partially paralized patients false hope since it was possibly a relatively low chance of working. He didn't see it that way, he took the chance, not being sure I'd walk again or not after the bone chip was removed. Dr. Alejandro Sos - interesting last name. He went on to teach neurosurgery in Arizona.

I was out for 20 days to recover from the ruptured lung, before they could do the neck. Three days after the neck operation I'm coming out of the induced sort of coma state from the past now about 23 days. I'm imagining all kinds of stupid stuff, I yank my hoses and try to climb out of bed. I remember feet hitting the floor... then my butt - no strength to hold me up - it was cold. My head hit the wall. They haul me off to be scanned for possible injury or damage to the repair in my neck. No problems, they stick me back in bed. A week or so later Dr. Sos looks in on me, while we're talking he mentions my falling, seems my parents think I dreamed it. He say, "Three days after the operation you get out of bed and fall, hitting your head. All was okay... pretty good work, huh." My parents are sitting there with a kind of shocked look... one of the lighter moments in rehab.

I wish I'd had the opportunity to avoid the whole thing in the first place though... Had boots, knee cups, gloves, full face helmet, goggles, but braces didn't exist yet. A few years too early.
  19. markk53

Oddometer:
    I noticed at the interview after the RedBud National, that Justin Barcia wears one. Old image, his beard is big/bushy and the hair gone now...

[​IMG]

I wouldn't be surprised if he's tested it a few times too. Pretty much same set up as Leatt and all others. I'd do one... maybe not white... :lol3
  20. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Most all the reports and "facts" represented to the public by "research" people,have been paid for by the people who want to sell neck braces.

There's lots of hearsay about how a brace saved someones life,but a crash happens so quick,and there are so many angles one can crash at,and different pressure brought to bear Im not too sure about the wonders of these things. It seems like if you crash hard enough and your head is pushed back or forward,its got to go somewheres. Where does the pressure go if a plastic brace stops the head?
    I dont think there's enough real facts about these things. I know for a fact one would drive me nuts while trail riding,Ive got so much other gear on already,its just too much on top of too much.

Ive popped my knee bad while wearing the best knee brace available,having a brace clamped onto soft flesh while the bones rotate underneath is what happens. They sure seem like they would work though. It is sometimes a perception of safety.