Neck Braces. Good or Bad. Latest Facts & info.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Blakduk, Jul 2, 2015.

1. craigo298er

craigo298er Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always wear my Leatt STX-RR on the track. It's a safety barrier that I don't mind not feeling. I've inly ever felt it twice when I was trying to look far through a turn while looking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Traumat1x

Traumat1x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an off overt the bars about 8 or 9 weeks ago.
    I hit my head cracked the Fox helmet ad fractured my collarbone as well as cracked my wrist.
    I had a severe concusion and memory loss as well as bruised ribs.
    I'm healed but still have effects so I guess not 100%.
    I wore a fox MX helmet, knee shin and elbow guards as well as the Leatt 5.5 chest armor. I was still debating the neck brace..

I can tell you guys that when I came to, not remembering anything of the events or day before and after, still don't, other than the collarbone pain and headache, my neck was aching for days as the muscles obviously extended from the impact.
    I immediately decided I'm getting a brace. This could have been very bad. I was lucky as my head took a serious nock, but I'll rather deal with a broken / fractured collarbone than a broken neck.
  3. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    For the Aussies here, there are "Omega Neck Brace" S1 and X1 on ebay under $100 now. From Adelaide.
    I picked up the S1 and have been wearing it. It's almost unnoticeable unless looking up through a corner on the R6. On the MT09/FJ09 Tracer it's like it's not there.
    May get rid of the garish and very thick stickers though.
    (I have no affiliation with the vendor)
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:

Glad to hear you got a good buy. That's what I did, found the good buy.

Yep, with you on the vendor thing. A buddy hit home a bit for me when I commented about his CR500R without any stickers. I said he needed Honda stickers. He said, "They didn't pay for any of it."

if they don't pay part of the bill or contribute some how, why have their stickers. I only use stickers from companies that either help with my sideline work, as suppliers or aid my riding one way or another... a few for the fact that I think they're worth while. Example would be good buys. I've gotten several good buy from Iron Pony so I run their stickers.

I like Converse All-Star Chuck Taylors so I have helmet graphics like a black Chuck Taylor shoe. Sure, I know they're owned by Nike, who off-shored the product, which sucks. I won't do any Nike stuff. I buy stickers from Waterford Signs and have graphics made by them for decent pricing, so their sticker is on my bike. It is who I think is worth doing.

I will be getting some stickers made for Fastenal, my hardware supplier, and Mid-Ohio Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha since they give me a break on the stuff I buy, spending a couple grand a year. They don't have stickers I can use themselves.

Only contributors go for the ride.
  5. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Hi again guys, just read the entire thread and glad I started it; not knowing if it would die a lonely death. Well done all who bothered to type in. I will follow this with interest.

A couple of things I might add:
    It seems by reading this far that there is more belief that they might help than that they are a problem.
    Manufacturers of neck braces in today's litiginous world would NOT make a product that they think that experts in a court would determine was knowingly harmful.
    The collarbone of the human body is designed as a break point so that other, more important things don't break.
    I have a few photos of the cosmo and leatt here: http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...eflector-protector-incl-leatt-fitting.646029/ I'm still using this combo, and have a few tumbles and 2 hard crashes, without injury. Who knows! But I have no problem doing the 'commando roll' over the handlebars and highsiding with the neck brace on, even though I find it a pain at the bottom of a steep gully, trying to look up the other side.
    And:
    It is definately a mud funnel down the neck! In summer I use a painters smock (like a balaclava only a cotton t-shirt material) with the top cut off that I wear around the neck above the brace and below the helmet that helps stop mud and crap, but isn't too hot. In cold weather I wear one of those snow neck warmer things that you can get from ebay for a few bucks.
    On the road bike I either wear a AXO jacket that the neck part unzips, or a giant oversized raincoat jacket thing plus the neck warmer.

FWIW.
  6. markk53

Oddometer:

Yeah, it's hard to say I wouldn't have had as severe an injury with a brace, had they been made, or that others here would have not been injured whether they had the brace or not. Reminds me of comments from my father, an ODOT traffic control engineer, on seat belts.

Every accident on roads within his division had the reports cross his desk for evaluation related to his area. His comment on seat belts. He could count on one hand the number where the wearer would likely not have had injury or been killed if they had not worn a belt, but the ones where drivers/passengers likely would have had lesser injuries or been alive had they worn belts... suffice it to say there was a heck of a lot of them.

You can't prove with hard numbers when something doesn't happen or if a piece of equipment is not used, but you can make one hell of a good educated guesstimate and the odds of the safety equipment causing more severe an injury probably falls into the odds of being struck by lightning twice in the same spot. Think of anti-seat belt and anti-helmet "factoids" you've heard and read.

By the way in passing I was thinking about how injury passes as problem areas are protected. A helmet stops the severe head trauma that can result in death or brain damage, but now it goes to the neck, the brace helps stop the severe neck injury that can cause death/quadriplegic/paraplegic injury, pushing it to the chest and lower back, which may cause paraplegic injury/broken ribs/broken collar bone/severe bruisng. Not sure how others feel about it, but I'd take the latter one over the former two. Plus as the forces are moved the injury possibility reduces. Kind of like MX boots to protect feet/ankles/shins. Sure they may promote possible knee injury, but far less of them than foot/ankle damage should someone wear their running shoes or even their RedWings for off roading. Anyone who off roads can tell you how much their feet and ankles get smacked around, with boots protecting them, probably near every time they ride, but seldom the knees getting heavily tweaked. What possibly could happen grows lower in possibility as protection is added.

Just some thoughts.
  7. snare

snare sittin and breathin

Oddometer:
    Just bought an Omega S1. Should have it next week.
  8. Rikki Rockett

Rikki Rockett MOTORCYCLE EVANGELIST

Oddometer:
    Gonna get the Alpinestars one and a Leatt body protector that covers the ribs. The 5.5 I think it is.
  9. snare

Oddometer:
    The Leatt 5.5 Pro HD has lateral / rib protection. There is a Fly Racing branded version of the 5.5 Pro HD also, which can be found for $20 less at Revzilla and a couple other places.

I got the Omega S1 in and found it difficult to fit *me*... over my jacket, which is over a 5.5 Pro HD. Someone with a neck longer than mine should have no problem with that combo.

I have a Leatt STX and an Atlas Air on order to see which will meet my needs and fit best.
  10. Ozmac

Ozmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. tclhb

tclhb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a great deal Qzmac!
  12. cba191

cba191 wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the Jason Britton edition from Revzilla. I'm having disc replacement of fusion in my neck in the next couple months, and I figured it might be a good idea.
    Uke likes this.
  13. TigerDude

TigerDude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It would be nice to have airbag suits like the MotoGP guys wear. All it takes is us asking for them (so it doesn't cost $10k)
    Uke likes this.
  14. cba191

cba191 wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer:
    I'm not seeing it as ever being practical. Breathability would probably be nonexistent. They would probably be far bulkier than standard gear as well.
  15. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    You could get an airbag vest like a Safermoto. LINK

And this is why I don't wear an air bag vest, despite the added safety it might provide.
  16. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, Too far to the mountains and too cold
    I bought one of the clearance Britton edition braces from Revzilla, too. I took it on my two week ride to the MOA rally last month. It became second nature putting it on and riding with it and I never found it to be uncomfortable or constraining, even on long days.

I rode to work this morning without it and felt pretty exposed. I'll probably wear it all the time now.
    tclhb likes this.
  17. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Isn't A* coming out with something like that?

edit: here - http://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air
  18. zeerx

zeerx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had the Omega X1 for about 4 months. It's a pretty good collar but needs a lot of adjusting/fiddling to get it to fit right. It never felt right as far as if your head gets pushed back. So I zip tied some dense foam along the back and now my helmet make good contact when moving in that direction. It fits over the armor for off road (I can squeeze my shirt neck over it) and over my jacket for on road. I made some changes to the straps (elastic instead of non) and now it fits like a glove. It was recommended (by an MD) that I get one because of chronic neck issues. Wouldn't ride without it. YMMV. Cheers.
  19. markk53

Oddometer:
    I think you mean it takes enough people buying them to drive the price down.
    TigerDude likes this.
  20. snare

Oddometer:
    Got the Leatt STX and Atlas Air in.

I am finding mobility to be the same when comparing these two. With my body, jacket, and armor setup, these both feel comfortable.

I can wear either over the jacket and armor ( I wear a Leatt 5.5 HD Pro all the time) and they both integrate well when wearing just the armor. The front brace on the Atlas drops in to the brace slot on the 5.5 protector ( as does the Leatt STX obviously). I can also wear the jacket, with either brace in the front slot, zipped up to the brace, that provides even more venting for the neck area, but that particular configuration would be less dry, of course.

The Atlas Air is much more - *noticeably* - lighter than the STX. It is also so much more simpler. It just drops over your head. The STX feels heavy.

The strap for the Air is a hybrid x that essentially places small straps that go in the side slots on the brace holding it down and on. Due to its design, the strap would be a pain in the ass to use with jacket. It slips over your head and you slip your arms through it.
    I haven't tried the strap for the Leatt yet, but I see it incorporates buckles.
    Either way my intent is to not use a strap at all, whether it is over my jacket (over the armor) or in the armor.

I will take them out for test rides tomorrow and will likely get some pics.

The Omega S1 is a great brace IMO, but it does not fit my body and armor combination. It just isn't right for me. It will likely be for sale soon.