Neck Braces. Good or Bad. Latest Facts & info.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Blakduk, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    My 2 bob's worth
    After a recent off I have been feeling a little exposed and fragile now I am over 50. I purchase the A* bionic neck brace. Seems comfortable and easy fit. Goes over or under my A* Dakar jacket.
  2. Catchinup

Catchinup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the post just ordered one myself. I was a bit surprised at the exchange rate though. Need to pay more attention.
  3. TripleDubYa

TripleDubYa Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at all of the Leatt options and for me it seems the STX is the best option....primarily because I want to wear it over my jacket with armor. However, I saw something on Revzilla's Q&A that said the STX should not be used with a dual sport helmet due to the elongated front portion and something about the front hanging up on the front of the brace. Are dual sport helmets that much longer in the front compared to a "pure" street helmet? By the way, right on the STX page on Leatt's website it shows a guy riding a GS wearing a Shoei DS Hornet.
  4. snare

snare sittin and breathin

Oddometer:
  5. alansz400

alansz400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 18 year old son races MX and has since he was 6. When he was around 10 the Leatts came out and I used my income tax $ to buy him one. It was $400 and seemed like a lot of money to spend on something that was so new, I had to really talk myself into buying it but I would have felt real bad if he had crashed and had a neck injury without it so I spent the $ on it. In the last 10 years he has had lots of new gear and had some hard crashes but the Leatt still fits and its the one thing he always puts on when he rides his 450. That always amazes me. I don't know if it makes him feel safe or if he just likes the way it feels but I never have to tell him to put it on ( unlike most gear ). So $400 over 10 years and no neck problems it looks like money well spent and hopefully he is done crash testing it.
    tclhb likes this.
  6. KLEINE

KLEINE oo

Oddometer:
    Uke likes this.
  7. Ozmac

Ozmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine arrived a few days ago. The actual amount delivered I paid was AUS $311.56. I wish the U.S. exchange rate was still over 100 cents. It's still much cheaper than any Aussie retailers I could find. I usually like to help support local businesses but when the price is 40% cheaper including international postage you gotta wonder what's going on with the importers price models.

Hopefully the neck brace is just an insurance policy I'll never claim on.
  8. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Do the smart thing - go to the source. Email Leatt. I did when I wanted to know the difference between the GPX and the DBX (bicycle version), learning the only difference was padding thickness. Ask them. Then post the reply.
  9. TripleDubYa

TripleDubYa Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer:
    "Do the smart thing - go to the source. Email Leatt. I did when I wanted to know the difference between the GPX and the DBX (bicycle version), learning the only difference was padding thickness. Ask them. Then post the reply."

Sage and practical advice I plant to put into motion this weekend.
  10. markk53

Oddometer:
    I took a look at the site again. I'd do the DBX (bicycle) or GPX before I'd do the STX if you are looking for one for an adventure or dual sport bike. They are off road and have the thoracic brace more centered. The STX has splayed thoracic braces to allow for the hump on road race leathers. They list it as an adventure brace, but I think from what I experienced, the off road riding position is a lot more like that of an adventure bike rider than that of a sport rider would be.

If looking for one for a sport bike or naked bike, the STX might be the ticket though.
  11. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    What I find important is the way a brace integrates in the whole riding.
    Some of those seem designed strictly for competition use, that is, they don't seem to take into accout the needs of someone doing adventure riding or touring.
    During a trip I stop, open my jacket, rest a bit etc.
    So for the type of riding I do, I find it mandatory for a brace to open in front, so I can open it without taking it off.
    The ones that can do this are the Ortema, Atlas and A*.
    Anyone aware of other models with front opening?
  12. snare

snare sittin and breathin

Oddometer:
    The Omega braces have an always open front.
    dragos likes this.
  13. markk53

Oddometer:
    But does it have a slightly higher front due to the riding position of a sport bike? Looking at the pictures from Snare's review it certainly looks significantly higher. His helmet almost touches. Mine doesn't.

It still seems the off road would make more sense for an adventure rider since clearly off roading involves a whole lot more motion, especially mountain biking (the DBX and GPX differ only in padding).

I found the DBX after adjustment, didn't interfere wtih anything. If I intentionally tilted my head down in front far enough I could make it touch, but not in normal riding, only if I wanted to. On road use it essentially never hit, and I probably have a bit shorter neck since I had three vertebra fused, losing nearly 1" of height in the process, going from 5'7" to 5'6" after the operation.

I also found I didn't need any straps, which is listed as optional in the manual, it stayed in place just fine. With the two latch set up I flicked one open and could remove the collar quickly and easily.

Not saying it's the best, just telling my own experience.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  14. Brownbear

Brownbear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone happen to be wearing Leatt STX or Atlas Air over top a Motorport Stretch Marathon jacket with quad armor? I am looking for details on function, fit and mods to the armor. Thanks.
  15. docjekyll2002

docjekyll2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been wearing the Leatt STX over various jackets and the sizing of the brace is still too large. I'm a pretty small guy so the brace moves about an inch forward/backward. I'm gonna sell it and try the Atlas or a Leatt that fits me better.
    snare likes this.
  16. norcalwrx

norcalwrx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kinda bumping an old thread, but my buddy just wrecked bad on his bike. Broke his t12 after he was thrown off a jump and hit a rail.

Doc said it is very likely he would have not survived if it was not for his brace.

New style leatt fwiw

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Uke, Blakduk and docjekyll2002 like this.
  17. TheGearDude

TheGearDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been testing the STX Road for the last six months or so and I really liked it.
    [​IMG]
    I did a review on Adventure Rider Radio and on my site if anyone is interested.
  18. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    I see that one is $399, but there is a Leatt STZ Jason Britton version for $219. Do you know what the difference is? That's almost affordable.
  19. markk53

Oddometer:
    I picked up a like new, in the package Leatt DBX (I called Leatt and learned they are same as the earlier GPX, but soft padding pieces for bicycle use) for $150. I had also picked up another one that was used with the scuffs and all for $70. I sold it for the same on ebay.

I got the ones I got from pinkbike.com in their for sale section using the search for neck brace. They had a fair number of them for sale, both bike and motorcycle and a couple different brands there. Take a look. You might find a good deal.

Make sure they have the fit kit with them. My low buck one didn't, the other did. I swapped out a few things, fitted it up and it's really not too obtrusive or intrusive.
  20. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Did anyone take much notice of the Dakar this year and if all the riders were wearing neck braces, and what kind of one's?