1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Neck Braces. Good or Bad. Latest Facts & info.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Blakduk, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    I'm pretty sure it's required equipment on Dakar now.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  2. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought so too, but Toby did not wear one.

BP
  3. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed, but don't remember which ones.
  5. FlyFishJeff

FlyFishJeff Gimme Three Steps

Oddometer:
    I saw more than one Atlas Air neck brace in this year's Dakar.
  6. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Pretty much everybody was represented. Leatt, Atlas, Moveo, Ortema.
  7. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went for a ride last weekend with my friend who crashed one year ago. He broke his neck and has central cord syndrome. He has recovered some of his mobility and can ride again, but he lacks strength and control on the right side of his body. He is lucky to have recovered as much function as he has.
    He is resigned to selling his much loved KTM990 and his DR650 for something easier to manage. He said that he wished he had listened to me and bought a neck brace sooner. All his riding buddies wear some sort of neck brace now. If you ride and are over 40, you owe it to yourself and family to buy one and use it. Don't procranstinate looking for the best one.

The risk of central cord syndrome rises steadily after age 40 as the space between the cord and the vertebral column fills in with bone. I personally use a Omega adventure brace. It works! It was cheap from E-BAy.

I crashed landed on my head ( again) after a roo strike. I broke 5 ribs, punctured my lung and destroyed my helmet. I was happy that I didn't exacerbate my pre-existing central cord syndrome (I have a minor sensory change in my forearms) . My injury was from a face plant into sand that snapped my head backwards. Compared to my mate's injury I got off lightly.
    Uke, MIZR1, Brtp4 and 2 others like this.
  8. markk53

Oddometer:
    Used isn't a bad deal either. Not sure about the Omega or others, but the Leatt GPX and DBX have replaceable padding that can be had for about $60 and look new again - even color match your bike.
  9. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Uke and Mr. Canoehead like this.
  10. Ozmac

Ozmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Bell same helmet, same Leatt STX neck brace and a Klim Lattitude Jacket (which is probably close enough to what your wearing. When I used the supplied GO/NO-GO gauge that came with the Leatt Brace my Bell Helmet failed the required maximum clearance on the rear side. I also have a Shoe road helmet that I occasionally wear for long road trips and it passed no problem. The issue was the high rear clearance between the leatt brace and the Bell Helmet. Something is better than nothing, but I'm curious if you had discovered the same problem TheGearDude?
  11. sideup

sideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scott, I understand they are identical except color. Only problem limited sizes left. My size is not available. Also for STX make sure to take measurement with jacket on.
  12. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    All this sounds very technical. I'm a simple person with a simple question, is ther a simple answer?
    I'm a older dual sport rider I have my fair share of experience on and off the road and like the idea of a neck brace. I have been using a inexpensive evs r3 while backwoods riding and started putting in on before I left home for riding and have become very comfortable with it road riding. My question is this. Is this inexpensive product helping me in the event of a crash or is cheap crap that could potentially cause harm ?
  13. docjekyll2002

docjekyll2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even the cheapest EVS brace will protect you. Just make sure the neck brace that you wear fits snugly and is not oversized for you. The neck brace should not be so wide, front to back that it wiggles around your chest. I found out that Leatt Small/Medium braces are way too big for me and an Asterisk Small fits me better.
  14. zedro

zedro Dirt Nerfer

Oddometer:
    I run the EVS race collar (donut) and while it's not full fledged protection, it does a great job controlling whiplash and it steadies the helmet nicely reducing neck fatigue. If I ride without it I really feel how abusive normal riding can be on the neck. Unfortunately my Fox pressure is not neck brace friendly.
  15. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I think we need more promotion on neck safety. I feel like every time I stop for food/fuel etc. I have some one ask me what the hell is around my neck.
  16. markk53

Oddometer:
    Tell them it's a transportable toilet seat so you can take a dump anywhere.
    Mr. Canoehead, fullmonte and biggziff like this.
  17. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Usually explaining it to some guy wearing a colonel klink Helmut and assless chaps
    Tsotsie, wescat and rboett like this.
  18. docjekyll2002

docjekyll2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha, yeah neck braces do look awkward. But after you sweat and fall in mud multiple times, you don't care how you look. You just want water and to take a nap on the ground
  19. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a Jason Britton stx from revzilla, :clapfortunately I measure out at the 2xl size, it appears all other sizes are out of stock.
  20. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really good thread gentleman. Thanks to all for the information.

In my case, I experienced a very close call last riding season. Solo trip. Eyes drifted away for just a second and I missed my turn. Full speed impact on chest sized boulders. I walked away, but in 20-20, things could have gone sideways. I guess it just wasn't my time. I joke to my wife and friends that it was just a gentle caress from Mother Earth, but I know better.

That said, I am upping my gear for this year. Better everything, with a focus on my knees, feet and neck brace.
    terrapin_sd likes this.