1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Neck Braces. Good or Bad. Latest Facts & info.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Blakduk, Jul 2, 2015.

1. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two questions(I am looking at the Atlas Air for reference):
    1. Does anyone wear a brace with a Road Crafter, how does it fit, feel, etc?

2. Does a Sena rub/bump into the neck brace in an awkward manner?
  2. docjekyll2002

docjekyll2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear an Atlas with my street jacket, back protector, chest protector and Sena on my helmet. I just pull my chest protector down a bit and all the gear together fits pretty well with no awkwardness.
    DSquared likes this.
  3. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was out on a pretty nasty trail ride with the boys a couple of years ago, had a buddy "get it wrong" and headplant a big oak tree at 25 or so. Watched his entire body fold up. Not knowing anything about neck braces a t that point I " knew" he was really hurt. Nope! It wrang his bell, but he got up and was able to ride out to the trucks. Was it the neck brace? It was convincing enough for me that I haven't been on a bike without one since that day!
    One of the major things about the neck brace, is getting it to fit properly. I have a fairly long neck, so I am able to get it setup to do its job without it being remotely uncomfortable. I have a buddy with a short fat neck, he's had a lot more trouble getting comfortable in his.
    Pch123 likes this.
  4. Roark

Roark Laissez-faire

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a Scott Street neck brace (rebranded Leatt STX Road), and it looks like I might need to replace my back protector in order to make it fit.

I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs and would never be described as 'bulky', but the giant slab of a Forcefield Pro Sub 4 back protector worn under even my summer leathers makes my shoulders so thick that the XXL-sized neck brace with the biggest inserts installed and wings in their rearmost position fits just barely. Wearing my cold-weather textiles with thermal liners, fleece and layered undergarments? No way the neck brace would fit.

Since there isn't a larger size available and I haven't found bigger spacers, I'd rather downgrade my back protection a bit than give up neck protection. Since Forcefield's other offerings (Pro L2K Evo) have been criticised for limited breathability, I'm considering Alpinestars' new Nucleon Kr-1 as it's pretty well rated and looks a lot slimmer than my current FF.
    Any experiences with the Nucleon, or other back protector recommendations?
  5. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    I have the Knox Meta-Sys which has at least as good if not better shock absorption numbers than the FF ProSub4 and it's more "shaped". I did try it with an Ortema ONB V3 Neckbrace (XL) and the fit was good.
    No experience with Scott/Leatt, though.
  6. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Does the Atlas go over the lot? Or does it fit underneath something like down the back?
  7. docjekyll2002

Oddometer:
    The Atlas fits snugly over the lot. And i can still move my head around with little difficulty
  8. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    On an Aussie forum they are discussing the merits of cheap chinese knockoff neck braces........well we all know the answer to that one.
    Also the comment that neckbraces are less common at the start line at major USA races.......I think we've asked that question before too with no conclusive answer.
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think there is actually a good answer to not use a brace from an injury preventive point. The only reason anyone can give is they don't like them or they believe it impedes their neck/head movement. I will say getting fused vertebra impedes neck movement a whole lot more, as I learned before neck braces were sold.

One brace I saw for sale had the comment the rider wore it, no problems, but decided he wanted to feel freer, take the risk. It was a down hill bike rider. Wish him the best. Heck maybe he'll sell his helmet too.
    wescat likes this.
  10. Carlfixit

Carlfixit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The only problem that I have is in the summer during desert races my body overheats and I get really sick. On the hottest days and at the hottest races I do not use it. So in the last 2 years of doing this I have not had heat problems during races.
  11. docjekyll2002

Oddometer:
    A neck brace heating you up? All the gear including armor and helmet heat me up and i get to the point of wanting to take everything off and just take a water break. A neck brace is the least that heats me up.
  12. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:
    i dont wera mine anymore, found it clumsy. knocking on helmet all the time, annoyed me.
  13. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope you don't end up with a broken neck like I did... the nerve damage I have is annoying every day, burning sensation and pain in arms and muscle loss affecting walking, etc. Wish Leatt had been around in 1990. Good luck.
    Mr. Canoehead likes this.
  14. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    I sold my older leatt gpx race and bought the newer leatt gpx 5.5 .
    It is very cumfy , no interference with movement side side , leaves a good range of motion, will adjust quickly to suit armour and jersey or go over my jacket .
    Very very happy - protection without being uncomfortable . No knocking on my helmet at all .
    Granitic likes this.
  15. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Leatt gpx 5.5 along with their HD Pro 5.5 Chest protector.

Can anyone recommend a packable, goretex Jacket that will go over this setup?
    Looking for something to throw on if it starts raining, snowing or temps drop.
    Not sure what fits around these horse collars when conditions get nasty.
    This would be for trail riding. Nothing over 60mph.

thanks
  16. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    There's a GoreTex Overshell by Klim, designed to fit over their Adv Rally Air jacket, which has a collar for a brace.
    https://www.atomic-moto.com/Klim-Gore-Tex-Over-Shell-Jacket_p_1563.html
    VonBiker likes this.
  17. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    +1 on Atomic Moto and the Klim overjacket.

He usually tests everything with Leatt since he is a big proponent. Give him a call.
  18. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool. thanks guys!
  19. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    What helmet are you using with this setup and how big are you/your chest/shoulders roughly.
  20. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    Shoei hornet
    5'10
    67kg
    38 inch chest
    The large/xl leatt gpx 5.5 fits me perfect on its smallest setting when wearing my leatt 3df airfit and i make 3 or 4 clicks bigger when wearing in over my jacket .