1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Neck Braces. Good or Bad. Latest Facts & info.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Blakduk, Jul 2, 2015.

1. snare

snare sittin and breathin

Oddometer:
    I have a Klim Overland that I can wear over my Leatt 5.5 HD Pro torso protector.

I usually wear the Klim under the Leatt, and my Atlas Air neck brace topping it off.
  2. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got that one too - nice brace and blends with my jacket. I forget i have it on.

If someone gives me shite - I'll mention my neck injury and how the doctor said "one more time and your done". None of this is true but well - it's a matter of pride I guess.
  3. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sad part is for me it would be possibly true. Fused C5/6/T7... any breakage would be above those - bad territory. I have a Leatt DBX

FWIW There is a close out on JT coats that have a zip off collar to work with neck braces at Iron Pony.
  4. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    From the link mentioned earlier:

"If you ride a motorcycle in any shape or form, you should be wearing a Leatt neck brace. Period. After my experiences with the neck brace, as a medical doctor, a motorcycle rider, and a crash victim, I feel I have an obligation and a duty to tell everyone about this device. A neck brace, like a helmet, should be an essential part of your gear."

http://www.greatamericantrek.com/wear-leatt-neck-brace/

"If you ride and are over 40, you owe it to yourself and family to buy one and use it. Don't procrastinate looking for the best one. The risk of central cord syndrome rises steadily after age 40 as the space between the cord and the vertebral column fills in with bone. I personally use a Omega adventure brace. It works! It was cheap from E-BAy."

http://advrider.com/....1077285/page-7

DOES THE LEATT-BRACE CAUSE COLLARBONE INJURIES?

"According to research, collarbone fractures (collar bone injuries) are approximately 50 times more likely than cervical spine fractures in Motocross and Supercross. Collarbone fractures usually occur in three ways, namely; i) a fall onto an outstretched arm, transmitting the force up the arm to the collarbone, ii) a direct fall onto the shoulder, transmitting force to the collarbone, or iii) helmet rim striking the collarbone in a fall with lateral flexion of the head/neck. The Leatt-Brace is designed to limit this type of collarbone fracture by protecting the collarbone from the helmet rim as the collarbone passes inside of the designed Collarbone Relief Area on the underside of the Leatt-Brace. It is important to remember that with the Leatt-Brace on, the arm/shoulder can be abducted (lifted up) all the way without the Leatt-Brace Collarbone Relief Area coming into contact with the collarbone, and preventing or reducing a bending force on the collarbone around the Leatt-Brace.

http://www.leatt.com/customer-support/faq/

OK, done. I trust Leatt to understand biophysics and engineering. Just ordered a Leatt GPX 5.5.

It is 0.4 lb or 6.4 oz heavier than the 6.5 carbon, $500 vs. $370 = $130 premium. Like the helmet, I will go with a little more weight.
  5. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:
    question: does wearing a brace interfere with looking down at a map on a tank bag?
    VietHorse likes this.
  6. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    That is a good question. Looking up steep hills has also been mentioned as an issue.
  7. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    Not for me when sitting. It might if you are standing.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  8. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is important to remember that these work by limiting range of motion. Convenience is great and all, but if they do not limit range of motion on the bike, they will definitely not do it when one's head is being pushed into the ground.

BP
    GerGa likes this.
  9. docjekyll2002

docjekyll2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I crashed at my local offroad park last week. I went down so fast that i was glad that i wore my neck brace. I almost broke my neck in a split second
    intotheabis likes this.
  10. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I rode technical singletrack two weekends ago. It was the first chance I had to really test out my new Leatt 5.5 which I got after neck surgery last year. Two points:

1. I never noticed the brace while riding. Not once. I had a tank bag with a map and my GPS that I looked down at both standing and sitting. Never noticed the brace. Went up some pretty steep stuff. Never noticed the brace. In fact, it was so comfortable, I forgot I was wearing it after riding and tried to take my jersey off without removing it. :baldy

2. I had a good crash where I looped my bike going up a step on a hill and ended up tumbling down the hillside ass over teakettle. Smacked my helmet good enough that it needed replacement. As far as I can tell, the brace did it's job in keeping my head from tucking too far and causing injury.

I'm convinced and won't ride off-road without my brace ever again. :deal
    Carlfixit, Granitic and docjekyll2002 like this.
  11. CHECOSO

CHECOSO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here in Chile a spine surgeon riding rally bikes and racing help said that neck brakes like Leatt are very dangerous
    He had to attend a pair of pilots who ended up dead in these races due according to his expert opinion to the use of necklaces Leatt, according to if these pilots had not used the collars would have been saved
    The race I mention is called Desert Rally, which runs through the Atacama desert more than 20 years ago and since the appearance of Leatt necklaces began to occur in each race

For me the use of these Leatt products is not proven to save lives, personal opinion!
  12. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    Based on this,,
    I wonder if Leatt actually tested any of this, or just relied on ancedotal evidence. Probably just another big corporation trying to separate us from our money. I guess I'll stop wearing mine and put it up on the shelf next to the deer whistles that I bought,, so sad I wasted my money again , such a sucker,, and I probably looked funny there for a while to, so ashamed, embarrassed.. thanks for setting me straight checoso
  13. dannyleo

dannyleo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checoso, I'm glad to see you put in that it's your personal opinion, because that's exactly what it is. In the medical and other professions, we call that and the 'doctor's' opinion 'anecdotal' evidence, ie; stories. So I have some more anecdotal evidence to offer, ie; stories. :) I used to run a hospital emergency room back in the day. When Leatt first came out with the neck brace, I looked at the theory behind its use and thought, "What a great idea!" But the price was too steep to buy sight unseen off the internet. Going to the North Georgia Mountain Rally, I stopped by Pandora(?) Motorsports in Tennessee and they were trying to sell one off the shelf. I tried it on with my jacket and helmet on and I couldn't even tell it was on, but I could see where it stopped the hyperflexion and other extreme movements of the head and neck, so when the salesman made me a great 'rally' price, I rode off with it on. Less than 24 hours later, in my humble, but semi-professional opinion, the brace prevented me from being either a para/quadriplegic or my wife from being a widow. Six months later, another incident, in which my 75+ year-old, extremely hard-riding partner said was the most violent crash he'd ever seen, and the brace again prevented a potential broken neck. The first incident was a frontal impact with a cliff, the second a hard slip on wet leaves where the brace prevented an angular and rotational contact with the pavement. When I went to the BMWRA rally in Birmingham, one gentleman related how a Leatt neck brace had saved his daughter's life in a motocross event (he also stated that some AMA off-road events require a neck brace now). Another individual showed me I-Phone photos of x-rays of the screws in his neck, stating he couldn't afford to ride without a brace now.

I wear mine all the time on and off-road. I'm a firm believer and there are many more stories that relate how the brace has done its job. While the doctor in Mexico may have had good intentions, my questions would be 1) what did he base his opinion on? 2) when did he make his statement? Immediately after the wreck and on site? Or after a thorough examination of all the evidence? 3) did he perform or see the results of the autopsies to see if there was a direct correlation between the braces and the injuries suffered? Or even review the actual medical examiner's report?

A lot of people say a lot of things with the best intentions, but statements made without factual support can actually end up hurting more people than they help. Even the most professional people will get caught up in an event and that's why we have investigations and autopsies after the fact by non-involved persons just looking for facts. If you want to take one guy's word after one event and say that's good enough for you, go for it. I studied these for a long time before committing and now, not only do I wear my Leatt neck brace ALL the time, after reviewing the latest European motorcycle accident studies, I also wear my Leatt chest and back protector, all the time.

In response to some of the 'fitting' comments, I've found the brace fit is critical to not interfering with your normal movement. My choice of jacket and helmet have a huge impact as to whether I can tell if the brace is even on or not. Sometimes no interference at all, sometimes it will rub slightly. I highly advise wearing the jacket and helmet you normally wear when you test the brace for fit. Also, read the included instructions as to how to fit the brace. My two cents.
    Y E T I, Blakduk and Roark like this.
  14. dannyleo

dannyleo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forgot in my previous post, RBOETT, if you'll make me a good price, I'll help you make room on your shelf and get rid of that embarrassment so you don't have to be so ashamed when friends come to visit. :)
    manybike likes this.
  15. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    You know,after thinking about it for a bit, to remind myself how gullible I was to buy it,, I will continue to wear it,, and look in the mirror often,,, now for the deer whistles,, I think I will mount them like little antlers on my helmet,, take that you furry monsters!!!!
    Y E T I and Mr. Canoehead like this.
  16. BISHOP

BISHOP Roadracer goes Dirt

Oddometer:
    Does anyone need anymore of a holyshit image than this to wear a $400 piece of plastic that will greatly improve your chances of not being dead or paralyzed?? I'm a 100% believer after my good friend augered head first into the ground and spent a week in ICU but made a complete recovery from a yard sale that would've likely killed him without the neck brace he was wearing. I'm not a safety expert or a bio engineer but it seems like common sense to me.

I wear a Leatt CP and 5.5 neck brace. It integrates well and like wearing a helmet you forget you have it on. Any gear is more restrictive than no gear but as we all know shit can go real bad real quick.
    Uke, retroone and Brtp4 like this.
  17. markk53

Oddometer:

Yeah, there are doctors who say wearing helmets can kill you too. How did the neck braces contribute to killing the riders? Seems the anti-helmet doctors say it's about the helmet catching on the pavement or the chin strap causing a broken neck - apparently the impact that would cause that kind of damage wouldn't cause a crushed or heavily ground skull... yeah.

Seems Leatt is a doctor who did the investigation and development of the brace bearing his name, after losing a friend to neck injury. He was no rookie, also being a neurosurgeon, which includes the neck. He has done the research. Can that doctor contradict the research?

Here is what Leatt published.

White Paper: Research and Development Efforts towards the Production of the Leatt-Brace ® Moto
    GPX Unrestrained Torso Neck Brace

Seems he did a bit of research, not basing what they did on two riders as the doctor, you mentioned, did. No opinion there. Plus it seems there are some reputable individuals and companies that were involved with the development too.
    • Delphi Test Centre, Vandalia, Ohio
    • BMW Motorrad
    • Land Mobility Technologies/SABS
    • Dr. Steve Augustine, AMA
    • Dr. John Boden, MSA, RSA
    • Various professional riders
    • KTM Motorrad and riders
    • Dr. Steffen Peldschus, Munich University, Munich, Germany
    • Prof. Kit Vaughan, Hyman Goldberg Professor of Biomedical Engineering, UCT Biomedical Engineering Department, Cape Town
    • MSC.ADAMS LifeMOD TM, SimOffice TM

A neck brace is not 100% protection anymore than a helmet or boots is 100% protection. I wear a Leatt and will tell you odds are anything that would cause a rider to be severely injured or killed with one on, that without it I'm betting on worse without it 99-44/100% of the time. I only wish I'd had one when I had an impact hard enough that when my head snapped forward the force on my C6 was so severe it shattered the large bone portion causing paralysis. Fortunately a neurosurgeon was able to pull out the bone chips and I'm around 95% recovered in movement. That Leatt brace would not have allowed the spine to take the shock. It would have transferred into the brace, probably doing nothing more than bruising my upper chest or maybe some cracked ribs or collar bone. A heck of a lot better than what I got.

Don't believe me? Check on the site for testimonials and some of the video demonstrations.
    Paragon68, Y E T I and XRman like this.
  18. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has any produced any comparison stats on Leatt ,or comparable products to the air vests. I'd love hear opinions on which may be better protection for neck and spinal injury.
  19. markk53

Oddometer:
    One big indisputable difference will be the fact that air bags work once, the Leatt can do the job over and over and over. You fall off, hit your head a bit and flex your neck, Leatt stops movement before injury, you pick up the bike and ride on. No multiple uses with an air vest. Of course this isn't the case with severe "bell ringers" that may include concussion, those would stop the ride, but the brace is still functional. Just the trail/track mishaps that would severely tweak the neck without high impact where you land on your head the wrong way.

My injury only involved my neck vertebra and a lung (the near fatal part). I was conscious on the track and trying to get off the track. With a brace and a chest protector I might have been able to get back up and ride. The brace would have stopped the whiplash and the protector would distribute the impact to the chest over a broader area. I stuck the face of the second jump in a small double - and I mean stuck. Bike instantly stopped, I hit the crossbar with my chest, popped a lung and snapped the C6 with the forward whiplash.

Now I'm thinking for the road where falling off is not a semi-regular occurrence and expected, the air bag set up would be the hot setup. Probably giving more over all protection in the one shot incident. Off road, often the accidents that result in neck injury are not that severe an accident, it is that the neck is just a definite weak point and the brace reduces the excess movement that causes the neck injury. Kind of like the HANS device used in car racing. Reduces/stops the head movement when the body cannot move to help take up impact, avoiding the neck injury.
    Y E T I and Uke like this.
  20. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that makes sense, same protection, but for different applications. Thanks Mark.