Neduro's SoCal Riding Clinic!

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Zen Slug, May 31, 2006.

1. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mizz, Roadmeister, you two should talk:deal
  2. bigmizzle

bigmizzle Grease Pirate

Oddometer:
    I did send him a PM, I'm sure I can find a spot to roll out somewhere.
  3. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like it's going to be still be pretty warm out there (high 70s) forecast. At least get some boots.
  4. dustjunkie

dustjunkie Got Stick Meat?

Oddometer:
    I can't say what Ned requires, but I would definately recoment a set of at least fairly rigid dirt boots. I imagine that most will drop their bikes at leat once durign the day, and if it lands on a foot or leg you definately want the protection. Also a decient set of knee pads are a good idea. Oh yeah, and some light weight breathable gloves. I have a real nice set of leather gloves for the street, but there is now way I would want them in the dirt. A street helmet shoudl be ok, just remember to bring a good set of close fitting sun glasses as you will want your shield open most of the day. Your mesh jacket and pants should be fine if you don't mind getting them a bit dirty. Unless Ned rquires a chest protector, I would think that your jacket should provide adequate upper body protection. Also, I think a hydration back pack is a must. Just my opinion, but it will get warm, and dehydration then drinking beer all night is a recipe for disaster.

my $0.02

Jake
  5. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    +1 on what jake says, buy some dirt-oriented boots, knee/shin guards, light gloves and use your mesh jacket and street helmet.

I have a lightweight padded foam chest protector that I could bring if you want something to wear under your jacket, it's soft protection, but better than no protection at all.

:ricky
  6. bigmizzle

bigmizzle Grease Pirate

Oddometer:
    1. Boots, Any places in the LA metro area (esp. westside) that has enough inventory that I can try a few on and walk out with pair?

2. Gloves, No problem

3. Chest Protector, I think I'm gonna take you up on your offer Zen.

I will look around and see in my neighborhood tomorrow. Isn't it "off-season" now? maybe some sales somewhere too?

now off to the equipment threads..
  7. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    Call all of your local motorcycle shops and find somebody who sells the Sidi Crossfire, that's gonna be my next pair of boots, I think. Seems to be a good combo of comfort and protection. The alpinestars Tech 10, etc. offer great protection as well, but not as comfortable off the bike, AFAIK.

LINKY

[​IMG]

Cool, I'll bring it along. It's called the Fox Rock Star chest protector and it looks like this:

[​IMG]

I could sell it to you for cheap if you want it, but for serious offroad you'll prolly want something with hard protection in the long run anyway. I think I only wore this thing once before I picked up the RockGardN Flak Jacket which I now wear every time I ride.
  8. dustjunkie

Oddometer:
    Crossfire and Tech 10 are both top of the line. Definately more than the casual dirt rider needs, but IMHO worth it (I own the crossfire SRS). as far as SIDI vs Alpenstar vs etc. it is like the Shoei vs Arai argument, if your head fits a Shoei, the Arai sucks and if you head fits Arai... You get the point. My head fits an Arai, and my feet fit Sidi. For the record though, up until a month and a half ago, I wore a pair of 1999 Alpenstar tech3s. Inte refered to them as "glorified moccasins". If you plan to be a mellow dirt road rider, save some money, if you plan to get pretty agressive, good boots are cheap insurance.

Jake

9. dustjunkie

Oddometer:
    Berts (Covina) and Chaparrel (San Barnardino) both have a pretty awesome inventory, and carry Sidi (harder to find than the others). Also, you can get ahold of any cycle gear (do not carry Sidi), and they can check inventory of other cycle gear locations.

Good luck

Jake
  10. GoNOW

GoNOW Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. TwoWheelsGood

TwoWheelsGood Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer:
    +1 for Crossfires and I'm an example that you can jack yourself up with poor boots at low speed. Sidi Discoveries in a 15mph fall when I wasn't paying attention. Rolled my left ankle pretty good. Bert's sells them, same price as at Chapparel. If you know your size, call to see if they have it in stock.

I'll bring my RockGardn and a Thor chest protector.
  12. bigmizzle

bigmizzle Grease Pirate

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely going for the crossfires after all the glowing reviews and shoot, on motonation.com the show you a whole lot of top racers using the same boot. While I'm sure it's too much for what I need now, I'm hoping to get my $$ worth out of them by learning to ride well enough to need them :evil.
  13. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fo shizzle my mizzle. I'm going crossfires when my Tech 6s die.
  14. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    I know some of the people who are coming, but there are many of you I don't know. I hope you will come up and introduce yourself to me sometime during the weekend.

Here's what I look like:

[​IMG]

Except I'll be wearing the MX gear, and riding this bike:

[​IMG]
  15. TwoWheelsGood

Oddometer:
    They are too much boot until you crash and find out that anything else was not enough. The only time they feel franken-like is when walking around off the bike. Since I'm more into riding than walking, I don't notice it once the bike starts rolling.
  16. TwoWheelsGood

Oddometer:
    rstrauss3, Rich Strauss, DRZ400S

[​IMG]
  17. sandiegoland

sandiegoland Adventure Boy®

Oddometer:
    At minimum, this is who we will have camping Thursday night; from what I can decipher from this thread...

sandiegoland
    Zen Slug
    Roadmeister
    surfphoto
    RiverRat
    Design4D
    mikeyb
    MotoMike
  18. canpile

canpile Trail User

Oddometer:
  19. canpile

canpile Trail User

Oddometer:
    But this guy I'm not sure about........:eek1 See you down there Rich! How's the new motel on wheels?
  20. sandiegoland

sandiegoland Adventure Boy®

Oddometer:
    Just look at Zen Slug trying to re-invent himself now... he's always been a hooligan. He just gets more air now... :1drink

[​IMG]
    Zen... before Jenny Craig... :lol3