Neduro's Tire Changing Class

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Aug 24, 2004.

1. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Didn't have to be your girl friend... just a girl friend :evil
    nk14zp likes this.
  2. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    I'm sorta notorious for changing my tires at the track before supermoto races. My preferred workstand is a milk crate on the tailgate of a truck. The milk crate won't damage the rim, brakes, or spokes and the tailgate puts everything at a comfortable level. I also use Ruglyde tire lube in a spray bottle for seating the beads on tires a few sizes bigger than the rim I'm using, but it also helps the tube go in and tire slip on a little easier. I have always used the crappy emergency 10" flat tire irons to change my tires... now that I don't know any better, trailside changes don't intimidate me but I figure it took me an extra hour to change both tires on my F650GS the first couple times I did it with the junky irons.

Great how-to, Neduro! Behold the power of the Intarweb!
  3. Boottrac

Boottrac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The real challenge is muscling one of those in without puncturing it I still need the machine for those.
  4. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    HD tubes are easier, because they stay out of the way better with just a little bit of air.

Air it up so it's kinda limp and, dare I say it, flaccid? but has some degree of shape. Stuff it in the tire, and it will stay nicely out of the way, and the air will keep you from hitting it w/ a tire iron. Seriously. They are nicer to work with than light tubes.

The real challenge is Mousses, which is like installing the tire around a fully inflated HD tube. And even those aren't that bad- Buck in Flagstaff from this site can change those things in a few minutes flat. At least, we all hope so, given his trip to Poland in a few weeks...
  5. ski3pin

ski3pin n00b

Oddometer:
    Ruglyde is the way to go!!! :thumb :thumb :thumb

I also use an old credit card or pieces of plastic milk carton between irons & rim to prevent further mucking up my rims.

Thanks for the photo's. Cheers :slurp
  6. neduro

Oddometer:
    For what? I've never heard of the product... but am interested... :ear
  7. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Stick to KY Ned, that other stuff burns like a mofo...damhik :lol3
  8. neduro

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, I won't.

:lol3

Street tires are now covered in a new thread in Blood, Sweat, and Gears for those who are curious...
  9. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    No tall shoes but you got to love a Woman that is not stop by anything
    [​IMG]

Pumping,PumPinG
    [​IMG]

Irina First tyre change
    [​IMG]

I :rabia this woman
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  10. neduro

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  11. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    :nod :thumb
  12. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    So ned, we doing this thing? If you translate creeper's istructions (he's AWOL again...) I will do some keyboard work. Now where was that discussion of improving your tire changin thread?
  13. neduro

Oddometer:
    Yes, let's do it. I've been meaning to post about this... you know how it goes.

Should we start a thread for collaboration, figure out what all needs to be in there, and then make a clean thread for the hall of wisdom? Or...

Kirkmoon- I remember that you had trouble with some aspect of this. Can you elaborate and maybe we can improve the instructions somehow?

Ned
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I know - I will try and live up to my offer... :D

I think that this thread is as good as any, any doc or pdf for the almighty hall can come from the work here. You can edit your previous posts as Kirkmoon et al funnel the wisdom to ya. I will offer myself as a sacrifice - a virginal guinea pig - to the last draft.

See I have never changed my own MC tires (bicycle yes, but they are easy). My stock Saharas are about 1-2K away from doom and I have another pair of Saharas coming from a friend who sold his DS (got em for the price he paid for knobbies - $105 bucks! :thumb ). And they will need to be put on right? What better test of a tire changing spec than me?

I will dig around for that thread with creeper's stuff and we can ask him for some direction on his input. There is some great stuff on Jerome's website that we can ask for too I suppose. He posted it around here somewhere.
  15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
  16. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Tried to find where he posted this and why... :lol3, here it is again:

[​IMG]

sumpin' about size matters. :evil width or girth :dunno

posted w/out permission - but he will sue my arse off and take my bike thus solving my tire changing needs! :thumb
  17. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    That's a nice write up Ned. :thumb

I used to use the tire on the tire technique until I bought an $80 dollar hitch mounted tire changer that makes the job even easier. No more bending over no more using my knees. It was money well spent. IMO :nod

Oh and baby powder is my lube of choice. And 756's :puke1 No wonder you change tire so often. :lol3
    IRC VE33/35's last way longer and work better for what I do out here. IMO (again) :wink:

:D
  18. Jim Bud

Jim Bud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you do it in brown leather for the final copy?? :D

Hope to see you over the holidays; probably will need advice on the 620??

JIm Bud
  19. neduro

Oddometer:
    Those things chunk for me- The knobs get ripped off whole. Sometimes they last an hour or two... :huh

We should start a dirt tire thread. I've been experimenting a lot lately. Been pretty happy with the Kenda Millville, although their hard traction isn't the greatest and they also chunk. But they are cheap.

I've got a set of S12's for the race this weekend... never run them before, looking forward to giving them a try.

MP: As for updating this thread, I think the key is focusing on getting the second side of the tire off the rim. When my tools were stolen, I attemped this without the motion pro tire irons shown in this write up, and it was a total b*tch (tire was a Kenda Millville, which fit really tight anyway). Would love to hear other's opinions- if this process leaves any questions in your mind, please post them here or PM Meat Popsicle or myself. Our goal is to make a hall of wisdom worthy tire changing guide...
  20. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    I ran the M12's for a while and loved them when they were new. The problem was that they wore too fast in the center so with them being a wide tire they felt square after 2 rides. :puke1
    A lot of people like em, I'm not a fan. :deal

:D

I'm looking at that D/S tire thread too because I got the "Z" plated and I'm going to be needing a set to run in some of the events I hope to do. :thumb