Neduro's Tire Changing Class

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Aug 24, 2004.

1. thederrick106

thederrick106 gone-fishin

Oddometer:
    I pinched a new front Sedona tube while changing the front on my KLR. My questions is it worth it to patch it, and save it for a spare or just toss it?

My original thought was: it a $15 tube is it worth the chance? But then again its better to have and not need then need and not have.
    I am going to order a couple front and rear spares any ways, but figured it would be a good get me home spare tube, to use in the front or back if I was stuck with no other options.

I also ended up reusing the Bridgestone tube in the front. The rear also appears to have a standard Bridgestone with the 90 degree angle valve stem, which I was not to fond of at first, but am thinking I should just reuse that tube when I get to the rear tire... (I would never use a tube with a 90 valve stem, bike came with it when I got it used.) Hasn't been an issue yet, and considering that Bridgestone tubes are pretty pricey I should probably reuse the rear to.
  2. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    that is correct once the tube is inflated...it will hold the rim lock against the rim and prevent you from pushing it into the tire.

and, of course, once you re-tighten the rim lock nut (don't forget to do that), the nut will also prevent you from pushing the rim lock in.

if you have not yet inflated the tube or tightened the nut, you can usually push the rim lock in without any problem. sometimes, though, the threads will get caught on the hole in the rim and prevent it from being pushed in.
  3. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    if you patch it properly, it will be good as new, so why not?

but, a lot of people seem to have trouble putting patches on correctly. (i think the most common problem is people not waiting for the rubber cement to dry before putting the patch on...and probably not stitching the patch adequately once it is put on.)
  4. thederrick106

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. Now the only question is can I patch it properly :y0!
  5. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    clean the tube very well (just water works fine). let it dry. scuff it well (with either the rasp that comes with the patch kit or a file). do both to a larger area than you will patch.

put the rubber cement on the tube and let it sit for a good 10 minutes (you can't let it sit too long, so don't worry about that)...it should be completely dry. it will still be a bit tacky, but should not be wet at all.

stretch the tube a bit over your knee or a rock or whatever. put the patch on and then stitch the shit out of it...starting in the middle and working out to the edges of the patch. you can get a special stitching tool or just used the rounded end of a box wrench. do that until the plastic backing on the patch starts to come off on its own.
    XKV8 likes this.
  6. thederrick106

Oddometer:
    Copy that. Thank you!
  7. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. Thanks
  8. Joefuskie

Joefuskie n00b

Oddometer:
    Bumping this old thread with a thank you to Ned and those who have provided so much advice to us tire change noobs. I've changed many a car tire on a machine but never any tire by hand let alone a motorcycle tire.

I succeeded in my first attempt at putting a new tube in my front tire and a new tube and tire in the rear. The rear was a PITA to get the old tire off and new T-63 on. No pinches in either tube. The advice given that if your swearing, sweating, or forcing it then you're doing something wrong helped me a lot. Walked away a few times sipped from my beer and tried it again. Tried a few different approaches until one finally started working. Used about half a bottle of windex getting the new tire on and seated. Took two tries to get the bead properly seated.

Something I did that I haven't seen mentioned:
    When placing the spoon for the next bite, especially when the tire was getting tight on the rim, back the spoon out towards the edge of the rim before levering the tire over the rim. Not sure if this is an accepted practice, but it might help so,e of the folks struggling with pinched tubes

Ride on,
    Joe
    keepshoveling likes this.
  9. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I changed my first rear tire the other day at home and all went well. I used the new tire and a 2x4 cradle to protect the brake disc. So when repairing a tire out on the trail what are some tips to keep from damaging the disc?
  10. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    A couple of red shop rags in the tool kit can come in handy to protect the wheel hubs and spread tools out on. Try to work with the disc up, unless it's a double disk front.

[​IMG]
    keepshoveling likes this.
  11. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
    Try to find some sticks to prop up the wheel. When there are none available, use the roadside ditch like this guy and keep the disk up.

[​IMG]
    guavadude likes this.
  12. Bengt Phorks

Bengt Phorks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I carry a few large plastic trash bags with me. Out on the trail they can be used as a tarp to put on the ground to give you a clean surface to work on. They make good emergency raincoats too.
    MCRIDER1959 and MasterMarine like this.
  13. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, whatever happened to Neduro's sibling thread on tubeless tires? I know i cross referenced that a few times because i didn't have rimlocks on my Dakar, but haven't been able to locate it the last few times i looked through this thread. Now i am doing a straight up road bike wheel and can't locate it even with a Google search, just get sent to this one...
  14. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tubed question: How important is it to have the rim strip movable? I was stranded at a gathering (not a rally) with a flat with the strip shredded, and a friend who motorcycles pulled out some gaffer tape from his car and said to use that. Not sure if it was meant as a stopgap, but i've left it on for the last couple tire changes and no problems after 18 months and probably 20000+ miles. Have i just been lucky or is that a good idea?
  15. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry about it but rim strips are cheap. I change mine out every other tire change.
  16. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    that's just it. Gaffer tape isn't cheap like duct tape but it is less than a rim strip by foot. And it isn't showing signs of wear in the time i probably would have shredded another rim strip. Also no concerns with it slipping over to expose a nipple screw.
  17. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've seen gaffer tape recommended over a rim strip. The idea being that since it sticks to the rim it may partially seal the air escaping by the spoke nipples and it may buy a few seconds of time during a flat.
  18. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    be carefull with the tape it will work but too thick and can create heat and wear. don't over do it.

for those with black, or even silver rims, a great trick for saving your rims from damage by using plastic under your spoon. what i do is find a thick, old, recycled plastic container. the thicker the better. laundry soap containers work great. cut it into pieces just wider than your spoon and about 2" long. make several of them, they will be disposable and last maybe 2-3 uses.

now when changing the tire, before you slide your spoon in, put a strip of plastic that you cut between the wheel and rim. now put your spoon under the plastic so when you pull up, the plastic protects the rim from the metal tire spoon. you will never scratch your rims again. i also add several of these to my pack so if im on the trail, i still have them available.

cheap and easy.

as for changing the tire, this may have been covered before but what the heck...in fact i may have covered in the post already. oops

anyways, watch this video. pay attention to how she spoons the tire off. she does 1 side, then flips over and does the EXACT same thing to the other side., and forces the rim into the tire. now it will just pop out. repeat this process in reverse to install. get the rim into the tire on both sides, then instal the tube. it makes it soooooo easy. you have room to install the valve stem, then start stuffing the tube into the tire, bouncing it around to move the rim as needed inside the tire to feed it all the way around. then just spoon each side back on. using this method i can have a tire off in under 5min, and a new one back on in just over. no cursing, broken or bleeding knuckles, just easy.

laters,

laramie :beer
    guavadude likes this.
  19. kermitridesagain

kermitridesagain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yu never changed a tyre and needing to learn how...
  20. Dirtfault

Dirtfault Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What the difference when you do street tires with tubes?