Neduro's Tire Changing Class

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Nathan_66

Nathan_66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw the clip of the old timer using the murphy's tire mounting compound on a car tire and decided to give it a try...slower and messier than the brake cleaner method but you're guaranteed to survive lol... Was easy to put excess compound back in bucket and cleanup with a hose afterwards... Check out the video with the old timer demonstrating the method...worked well for me in this case.

IMG_0192.JPG IMG_0193.JPG
  2. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Bike: KTM 950 Adventure.
    Tire: (old previously used and removed) Karoo 2T
    Rim: OEM
    Issue: not convinced bead is properly seating and when tire is deflated you can put finger between tire and rim.
    Thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/cannot-get-bead-on-karoo-2t-front-to-seat-2006-950-adv.1510312/

Since it was an old tire I bought a new Karoo 3 but I'm having the exact same problem.

The only thing I can think that may be the issue is that the tube is a UHD. I've used these tubes before on Thumpers but never on the 950 which has a slightly wider 21" front rim.
  3. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    OK. I just put some silicone lube around the rim instead of Ruglyde.
    I can now hear the tire pop twice and visually see it pop out at 20psi

But if I deflate it, the tire still comes away from rim by itself and I can insert my finger between rim and tire. I don't need to manually break it.

I'm not sure if I have an issue or not?

When I removed the worn out Scorpion I had to manually break the bead after removing the valve stem but it had been on the bike for several thousand miles.
  4. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Part of the Ruglyde formula evaporates after a little while to produce friction between the tire and bead after mounting. Most silicone products are for reducing friction for as long as possible. Is there something about the silicone product you used that makes you think it is supposed to loose it's frictionless qualities soon after application?
  5. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    It was a test. I was going to clean it off. I'm however unsure what this has to do with question I asked?
  6. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your problem is that the bead seats but slides right off as soon as pressure is released, right? Ie with the silicone, you will not just lose pressure in case of a problem, you will lose the tire entirely. Having a bead stick after a flat saved my bacon at least 3 times in the last month, I wouldn't ride it until the silicone is completely removed.

How many psi did you take it up to with just the ruglyde?
  7. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    The old Karoo2T didn't "slide back" but after deflating I could push tire off bead using one finger. See video in link in previous post.

The new Karoo3 "slides back" by itself (after deflating) with ruglyde and silicone. I only used silicone once, last time and only on the Karoo3.

The only time I heard any seating popping (not loud) was with the silicone at around 20psi though visually it seemed as well seated with ruglyde, just no pop.

I don't know if riding it (gently) will seat it?

Obviously I'm concerned about losing tube pressure and having a catestrophic failure.

Pondering calling RMATV who I got tire from to ask their advice.

8. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what is wrong there, but will say after watching your video that it sucks Metzler doesn't use a mold mark on the sidewall as a visual aid to seating the bead. Very helpful on my Anakee IIIs...
  9. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    I talked to a local bike shop who does a lot of tire changes and also called Woody's. Both told me the same thing ....... I'm inventing a problem :D

If at 10psi it stays on the rim, you're good. Letting all the air out may cause the tire to come away from the rim without the need for manual breaking (as I am seeing). It depends on how stiff the side wall is. Woody's said the Karoo3 is a soft sidewall. The tire may also stiffen and hold the rim better once it's been on the bike for a while, or it may not.

But yes, a stiffer sidewall tire might hold the rim better if you have a catastrophic tube failure. On the KTM 950 the rear has a safety "bead" on the inside of the rim to prevent this but not the front rim.