Need a driver for your cage? CA to East coast?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by BentAero, Oct 28, 2007.

1. BentAero

BentAero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This falls under the "it doesn't hurt to ask catagory".

I'm trying to buy a dirt bike from a guy in So. California. I want to fly to LAX, pick up the bike, do some off-road riding for a day or two, then load it up and drive back to Asheville, NC.

Only problem is, I can't find any rental companies that will do a one-way rental originating in CA, terminating in NC, with a pickup truck. I can only get trucks within the state of CA, or I can find cross-country one-ways, but only with sedans or vans full of seats.

Anybody have a suitable vehicle they want driven to the east coast from So. Cal?

Gary
    828XXX713XXX1073
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Not a bad question and may need it's own specific category at some time.
  3. Tempo

Tempo Stumptown Native

Oddometer:
    Try Craigslist... or look into renting an enclosed truck.
  4. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Solo con rambo

Oddometer:
    why not just rent a full size van? takes some tools, pull the back seats, toss down some rubber, cheap walmart carpet or something and throw the bike in the back.
  5. Flying Gringo 101

Flying Gringo 101 custodia flammae Supporter

Oddometer:
    It may take some time and effort, but there are companies that relocate cars (possibly trucks) cross country for owners who decline to do the drive. I did this and drove a Honda Accord from So Cal to Boston and only paid for fuel, lodging and meals. As I recall, you need a good driving record and must take a direct route.
  6. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. BentAero

Oddometer:
    Good suggestions!

Anyone know what brand of full-size van has seats that remove easily?

I've got a trucking company lined up, but going to CA to get it myself sounds a lot more fun as I get to do some riding. :)

GC
  8. Louge

Louge silence of the limbs

Oddometer:
    yellow house 25 miles NW of the white house
  9. Eagle1

Eagle1 Eagle1

Oddometer:
    We're renting a Penske van from Austin to San Diego for around $265 to haul 3 dual sport bikes. You might check with Penske! They're cheap and go one way! Hell our's is going to be available Nov 15 out of San Diego when we dump it that afternoon. You might check with Uhaul people although Penske is the first choice.(Better trucks and prices) We'll be doing Baja, then ferry from La Paz across to the mainland, then up Copper Canyon, into Big Bend TX then HIll Country back to Austin area. If you're only moving one bike, shipping it will be your cheapest way. $500 across the country and it takes about a week or 2. I've bought bikes from both coasts and the shipping is about the same either way across the country and the people at Federal are first class. My ,02 cents. Good luck.
  10. SomeMook

SomeMook Permabland

Oddometer:
    Penske rents smaller vans so you don't have to tear into a rental van to remove seats. All you'd need to bring is tiedown straps.

I used them to move from MA to VA one way. Not quite as far as you, but the cheapest one-way rental I could find. Plus if you are an AAA member, it just gets cheaper. Best of luck.
  11. dirtbleed

dirtbleed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheaper to fly, ride, then fly back.
    Ship the bike.
    Gas is $3.50 a gallon in LA.
    Why torture yourself with a 3000 mile drive in some shitty rental van?
    The plane ride is torture enough.
  12. BentAero

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. This has evolved into a slightly different plan now to where I'm going to drive a pickup both ways.

I'm looking to haul someone's bike (i.e. a recent purchase??) either direction to raise some gas money.

While in Cali, plan to do some off-roading in the Randsburg area, then head home.

I can certainly have my bike purchase shipped far cheaper, but this is more fun!

Anyone need a bike hauled for a small fee?

Gary
  13. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Now it's money you're hoping to raise.....
  14. pdxfj

pdxfj n00b

Oddometer:
    Is this offer still open? I have a bike sitting about 2 hours from you that needs to be dropped off in Arizona.

Send me a PM and we can chat.