Need advice: downsizing from GS to thumper

Discussion in 'Europe' started by StevePizza, May 14, 2020.

1. Dutch idiot

Dutch idiot Crazy, not stupid

Oddometer:
    Hi there. I'm from Belgium. Drz400 a hateful machine? I am not a competent mechanic, but so far I managed to do a lot of maintenance myself. It's a very basic and simple bike to work on and I did the 3x3, JD kit, removed pair system and a lot of other things. The JD kit, extended air screw and other things have been send by an inmate from advrider. Very helpful people on this forum. For me it's a perfect fun bike. Please explain why it's a hateful bike? My other bike is a Transalp, by the way. Transalp more highway orientated, the drz more dirt orientated. I love 'm both.

Attached Files:

glitch_oz likes this.
  2. Herman1

Herman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you love it then thats all that really matters , my opinion is biased from owning a couple and mending numerous others.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine just did sections of TET through southern europe and scandinavia on AJP PR7 and said the bike was just perfect for it.
    https://www.ajpmotos.com/pt/pr7-adventure-600-en/

CRF250 is actually pretty capable soft suspension is a weak spot. I tried one on group ride and engine was silky smooth.. and owner was keeping up with everyone on the road going 100-130kmh
    unlimited_explorer likes this.
  4. Geto-Dac

Geto-Dac Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hello.

I think I understand your need.
    I have been riding since 2006 with a XT125R than I had mostly endurotouring Thumpers 2x Pegaso 650, XT 660 Z, Husqvarna 450 SMR, now I have Kawasaki KX450F (the motocross model) street homologated and a BMW R1200R, because street riding in order to be super fun needs a street machine and offroad riding in order to be fun needs and offroad machine.
    I have also ridden offroad, not own, GSA1150 which did not felt very heavy, TransALP 700 which is the heaviest bike that jumped on, at least this is my feeling, and G310GS (very heavy 175kg and NO torque at all) which I had a chance to ride offroad this weekend with a friend on a proper TET track, in Romania the country that I am from and that I live in.
    20200822_123308.jpg 20200822_133353.jpg
    20200822_162220.jpg
    IMG-20200823-WA0070.jpg 20200822_172544.jpg

I am 1.87 and 110kg and I also believe that lightness is the key for a good motorcycle (offroad and street).

A Pegaso 650 and a XT 660 Z would do just fine on a TET for a guy that has 1.90m like you if they are equiped with offroad/enduro tyres, not 50%-50% tyres that is just marketing.
    As long as you are not new to the motorcyxle word I would definetly avoid the street legal 250-300cc single cylinders, they have NO torque at all ant tbey are overweight. CRF250L is 150kg GS310 is 175kg :( like an Aprilia Pegaso or Yamaha XT 660 R/Z.
    With a 250-300 you will have to rev them a lot on offroad, and you will have to take off all the time in the middle of the rpm range in order not to stall the engine on offroad, you will have a lot of clutch wear and tear, and on street the sweet spot is at 80km/h, a big single 650 has the sweet spot at 110km/h on asphalt.

If you think about maintanance get a KTM 690 or Husqvarna 701 they have the same weight as a CRF250L and you get the TDI feeling when you are riding it offroad.
    A KTM 500 is the best choice in my opinion for what you want to do but a 701 or 690 will be let's say 25% less suited for TET compared to a hardenduro bike. I have done with a bit of muscle input TET on Pegaso 650, if you want to do something you can do it.

To be honest I think that with a bit of patience and time to learn you can do TET with GSA1150 with the right tyres, you are 1.90m tall enough. The tyres will cha ge 70% of the motorcycle feeling on offroad.
    BMW boxers are great because they have a low center of gravity and a lot of torque, exactly what you need on a TET section, the right tyres will help you on the technical sections or mud sections.

I wish you all the best!
    Teabar and cyclopathic like this.
  5. unlimited_explorer

unlimited_explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Call me a crazy but XT 600 E with better springs if you don't mind 150 kg ish bike and 40 hp and .ca 50 nm bike. .very simple to work on but you rarely need to. It comes even with valve adjuster nut in toolbox. Def single track capable . Only downside it has no kick .

I have also new Africa twin...had tracer 900gt but for affoad touring ... xt will stay in my stable. (I'm aware exc 500 is another galaxy but do you need to travel in warp speed ?) View attachment 2508557
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  6. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    I would love to swap my old xt for Dr but in eu....we got just dr600 not 650...and briefly drz400. Until emissions killed it
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  7. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    In the 80’s I owned an XT225.
    Sold for an XT500.
    After BMW R80G/S, Scramblerised R80 and at last Triumph Scrambler 900.
    During 7 years with the Triumph I realized I was rid off travelling on major roads and was always looking for smaller roads, gravel and so on. And remember that the bike with I get the most fun was my 225XT
    Mostly I ride on little roads where 70 km/h is fast and anyway, speed limits are 80 km/h. Always solo on the bike.
    So I sold the Triumph for this Yamaha Tricker. Low/mid rpm torque engine, easy to work on, 122kg wet and man, I’m just having fun. Get my 18 years old back.
    Was also considering the Honda 250 but to big for me (I’m 1,74m) and the Kawi KLX230 wichI test road.
    Good bike with incredible engine but the Yami was better for my size.

When I said tothe friends that I was trading the Triumph for a 250 they all said I was crazy, that I will regret and so on but we did a trip to Dolomites and the Yam did the job. Don’t listen too much other, it’s your bike and your life, you should have the feeling of what is good for you.
  8. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the bikes that I wish Yamaha had brought to the U.S.
  9. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Don't you have TTR 250 ?
  10. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    The closest that we appear to have is the XT250. It appears to be about the same engine, but it looks to be more dirt oriented than the Tricker. I also like the looks of the Tricker more.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  11. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes the Tricker’s more appealing.But the XT has a bigger tank and more conventional rim size. Easyer to find tires.
  12. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Sadly the little XT has had its day, last examples have rolled off the "belt" about 5 mths ago or so.
    Most likely due to the cost of having to add ABS + more electronics to comply with registration requirements in the main markets.
    (late models were EFI already).
    Was lucky to snare a 2017 EFI with a stunning 60miles on the clock..." for the better half", of course :ricky
    (pic taken while modding after purchase, changing to high-crank bars/wiring heated grips and tender pigtails/ Barkbusters/racks/ etc)
    Love the looks of the Tricker!
    ...but also love many of the XT features, like the tubeless rear, 21/18 wire-wheels, 132kg-290lbs WET!

Makes the V-Rod next to it blink with envy :-)

[​IMG]
    MichaelJ and unlimited_explorer like this.
  13. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Congrats!
    Its sad. I have got lastest xt 600 E here in eu. The xt 250 was newer sold here sadly
    glitch_oz likes this.
  14. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last XT600E in AUS
    (with a 22l Ascerbis tank...and I STUPIDLY sold this thing with only 8000klm on the clock/ bought with 700km)

Re-filling after 504km just south of the Grampians Mountains, Victoria/ Australia
    Dec. 2002

[​IMG]
  15. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Nice ! It looks as mine just in black. I'm thinking about the acerbis tank . I'm usually around 200 to 220 km to the reserve on stock 15l . So 400 km is doable with bigger tank? Had you have give it stiffer springs?

20191015_173543.jpg
  16. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tanks are still available (even 2.hand sometimes) 23l actually, which will "grow" (as the plastic tanks usually do) to around 25l after some use. https://bit.ly/3gFxDCr
    Got 504km out of that tank from brim-full to bone-dry.
    No other substantial mods on that bike apart from the home-made rear rack.
    It was originally bought and set up for a 10.000km Cape York trip (which did eventuate years later, but on a tiny CT110 Honda instead).
  17. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Is the *groving* caused by gas so it softens and expand the tank?
  18. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not quite sure what the actual process is, but they all do it.
  19. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    No actual knowledge here, but always willing to venture an opinion. I'd suspect that it's more of a stretching of the material from the weight of fuel rather than a chemical reaction.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    They also shrink overnight from cold.