Need advice: downsizing from GS to thumper

Discussion in 'Europe' started by StevePizza, May 14, 2020.

1. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, then... Don't fill them up at the end of the day?
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually don't stop right after fill up so you should be fine if you ran some miles before stop. My observation riding BDR I was consistently getting 5-10mi more out of 190mi tank filled at evening vs in the morning. This is on XCo with additional 5L acerbis but main tank on G650x is plastic too.
    unlimited_explorer likes this.
  3. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems that StevePizza leave us alone on this thread.
  4. unlimited_explorer

unlimited_explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Btw how do you like g650xcountry ? I'm thinking about possible xt 600 E (its more than 20 yrs old) replacement since it seems it's the same concept just modern (water cooling and efi, yet still light and longer service intervals)
  5. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    :baldy
    No! No! NO!
    Stick to the simple and dead-reliable!
    NONE of the modern Big Thumpers are anywhere near the reliability of an XT600/ DR650.
    Been through the G650GS thing over and over, still got a Husky Strada (same engine, even worse electronics)....the ONLY ones who had this EFI/ electronics thing right + solid was Yamaha with the XT660.
    Hang onto the gem you've got!
  6. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Thx sir ! I'll just redo the suspension and add acerbis tank(a bit hungrier than modern efi bikes 5/100 on road and 8/100 off-road ). In the meantime I'm curious how long I'll keep Africa twin with lion battery and electronic throttle. Maybe I'll change it to tracer 900 gt. But XT will stay. You are right.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a mixed bag. Bike is very light but has its quirks: half baked EFI, soft/short travel rear suspension, small tank. I do like ergonomics it is very similar to dirt bike and almost identical to my SWM Superdual. It is buzzier than Superdual and some things are hard to get to you have to remove swingarm and disassemble frame to rebuild water pump. So if I have to slim down to one bike I will keep Superdual I put it through 22 county/13.5k trip and really liked it.

If I were looking for XT replacement and wanted something EFI modern I would check SWM Superdual, KTM 390 ADV, KTM 690 or Husky 701 (701LR is coming to states).. perhaps even T700 and 790adv. 12yo XCo/XCh are getting old and parts are getting harder to get.
  8. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    About svm superdual. What about ajp pr7 ? I have a big bike (at1000) and if xt will be ko I'll want another thumper adv bike. And pr7 seems okaish ?
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are in states, right? AJP PR7 is not EPA certified. You might be able to plate it in your state but not in mine. SWM Superdual and PR7 have the same engine and Superdual is EPA certified 50 state legal. It is a heavier bike due to factory accessories (center stand, engine guards, skid plate) and dual exhaust. Exhaust cans on it boat anchors along with cast iron right heat shield and yxt14 battery.. other parts are not too bad.
  10. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    No I'm from EU. If I were in states I would have broght a dr650 and had a beer sadly Dr is just EU 2 emission and now Euro 5 is minimal for bikes, also abs is mandatory.
    (Newest Dr 650 here maybe 94 or older models.. )
    cyclopathic likes this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry haven't released you are Czech. You have some nice roads I spent a week there some really nice roads in Moravia and Bohemia.. unfortunately it rained so I ended up not hiking to pravčická brána.. but I still have a t-shirt from pilsner urquell factory tour.

Yeah I understand DR isn't an option in EU.. might as well keep your XT running. There are rumors about Suzuki building new thumper to replace DR and DRZ and kwak building a worldwide KLR replacement.. but the rumors are just rumors at the end. At least you have PR7 and Fantic Caballero 500 rally which we don't.
  12. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I wanted T7 aka tenere 700 but the exhaust..No this is bs. I have seen some high exhaust mods aka huzzar exhaust but I would rather to see if from factory aka Africa twin exhaust mounted on high just beneath the frame and the pipe covered by passenger foot peg mount / end of rant (how they would screw this so badly *facepalm)

Thx for info .
  13. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I test road one. Was fun and coming from my Triumph Scrambler I founded light and less high. It’s a bike that makes you ride speedy.
    But they are not so reliable, lot of problems about electronics. There’s an inmate here visiting Europe with one, have to find the thread. Tittle was « visiting Europe on a thumper » something like that.
    glitch_oz and unlimited_explorer like this.
  14. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Thank you ! . I think I'll stick with my agricultural XTe then
    cyclopathic likes this.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Problem with electronics is generally BMW problem F650/700/800 had similar issues ECU randomly does TPS recalibration at start and if you touch throttle during startup it may go haywire.. other spot it doesn't disable starter when kickstand switch acts up so unless you know you will be blaming electronics

As for being reliable it is as reliable as F/G650GS thumper.. maybe slightly less ironed out as there were very few of them made.
  16. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Also you got legal trails, bdr etc.. here it's all Gray zone and illegal to ride on non paved roads. ... like in most of Europe. But we still do it
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Legal is relative; the general view that if it is not explicitly prohibited it's allowed and cops can't stop you unless you actually violating rules in their face. It was a bit of a shocker in Czechia when out of blue I was stopped and asked to blow into breathalyzer.. our cops would need a probable cause for this.

As for abundance of trails in US it depends on state it varies alot. Where I am not any unless you count unpaved roads and private (paid) tracks. Different matter when you get farther west.
  18. NSFW

NSFW Death Valley Noobs Rally 2022 Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    i heard......:D
    [​IMG]

i love my XCo even though it had an electrical failure, wasn't electronics.....broken ignition switch, and didn't cost me a single cent to fix it. it's only a problem if it cannot be fixed. from the top of Great St. Bernard Pass, i road it all the way to Aosta Italy without a running motor. once i got in my motel room, the inmates here on ADV were helpful in diagnosing the issue, and before midnight it's running again. that bike has a Rotax engine and one of the best produced. in comparison with my bullet-proofed KTM 640 and other thumpers, the engine is very smooth even with only 5 gears. i sold the 640 and replaced it with a Husqvarna 701, and both bikes are near identical in smoothness.

RR here

my advise to OP. buy the bike that you could afford, and start small. it's easier to build dirt skills on a smaller bike. if it's more pavement, a bike with a 19/17 wheel set-up would be my choice. it also has lower seat height for vertically challenged. i will avoid used bikes with high mileage if i don't have the mechanical skill and have a garage with tools to fix it. most importantly, i would prefer buying from someone i know and trusted.

i chose the 2009 XCo because it was cheap, think i paid $3,500 here in the US and has very low mileage. being a BMW, it has more dealer support in the EU. here at home, i do my own repair and maintenance, including work that involves major repair. the XCo i assume would not be the preferred bike to steal in comparison with a KTM, Husqvarna, big BMWs, Ducati, etc. i hardly lock that bike and when i return, it is still there.

if my XCo becomes too expensive to fix, i will not bring it back to California, instead, just give it away. i see it differently, the bike is already been paid for by all the wonderful experiences i had there in EU. currently, the bike is sitting in Thessaloniki Greece at a friend's place (adv inmate).

be active in this forum, give more than taking. adv inmates will be prone to help that kind.

3rd problem was when i put diesel in the fuel tank.....:lol3
    [​IMG]

btw, i bought a CRF 250 Rally that is now in storage in South East Asia. riding it for a month, i was impressed in many ways. the 250 cc is suitable in that part of the world and even considered as a big bike by the locals.
    [​IMG]

OP...good luck on your search.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  19. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Joël, nice to see you again.
    250 CRF was on my list but to high for my short legs.
    Unfortunately there's quite nothing on the market at 350-400cc. Seem that it will be the perfect size.
    So I'm happy with the Tricker, suits my needs.

PS: don't forget to announce if you come back in Switzerland.
    NSFW likes this.
  20. NSFW

NSFW Death Valley Noobs Rally 2022 Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    the stock suspension is soft and sags a bit when i put a load, but makes it easy to touch the ground. going to put stiffer springs and that will be about an inch taller from the current loaded seat height with stock spring.

i googled tricker and it seems to be a nice bike. the rear wheel size is 16"....that's unusual.

hopefully, by next summer the situation will be better. i need to get my XCo out of storage and ride it. for sure the Alps will be on my sights.

stay safe and keep the rubber on the ground.