"Need advice" xr650r??

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by buck80mph, Jul 7, 2009.

1. buck80mph

buck80mph "Power Junkie"

Oddometer:
    I have a 07 kx250r 2smoke. I love it. It wheelies in every gear and jumps great. It's very "flickable". However I don't ride it enough because I have to load up and truck it to the trails. So I want to get a dualsport but I want a full blown dirtbike that happens to be street legal with low maintenance and alot of power. So I am thinking about the xr650r. I want to make power wheelies, moderate jumps and ride both fast and slow first gear trails. Will this bike satisfy my needs/wants? Oh yeah and I realize that I will have to get it plated and legal. I don't want a xr650L.
  2. rebelpacket

rebelpacket four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer:
    Its going to be much bigger and feel much heavier than your two stroke. The suspension will need work if you plan on ripping it off jumps too. The ability to ride slow singletrack on it will depend on your skill and stamina as well.
  3. Off the grid

Off the grid Morally flexible Supporter

Oddometer:
    The XRR will suit your needs but you need to realize that it is BIG and nowhere near as flickable as your 250. It just tractors through singletrack.

Also it is much harder to kick over than your 250 was.

Why not a KTM 400-525?

Lighter, streetable, every bit as powerful and E-start. The maintenance is about the same.
  4. 28marcb

28marcb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not as well as a ktm 525exc. The xr is a fine bike for open space, but I wouldn't call jumping and single track its forte'.. Check this out..http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475471
  5. buck80mph

buck80mph "Power Junkie"

Oddometer:
    Does the 525 have as much power as the 650?
    Does the ktm need valve checks/adjustments more often than the big honda?:ear
  6. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
    Your loss :rofl
  7. rebelpacket

rebelpacket four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer:
    The KTM RFS motor (I've only had experience with that generation) is very reliable. Gobs, and gobs of power. I had a 520SX (without the electric start tomfoolery) and it was much lighter and felt very nimble. I did lots of dual sport rides, as well as some really tight single-track in West Virgina and other parts east.

However, the motors are only as reliable as the work you do. Oil changes as well as proper air-filter maintenance are a must, as well as valve inspections. They do have their minor issues and things you need to know about before purchasing one. Once everything is sorted (or better yet, buy one that already is) they will really last quite a while.

Bikes with racing background will require maintenance. Bikes designed to last and last with owners who never change the oil or think about maintenance, will be heavier, and not have the same power as a racing bike.

Your choice.
  8. Off the grid

Off the grid Morally flexible Supporter

Oddometer:
    Offhad from what I remember the KTM has very similar maintenance schedules as the XRR.

As far as power they are almost identical but the KTM is lighter and has a 6 speed gearbox.

The above poster summed it up perfect. You simply cannot have sick power and long maintenance intervals. The 2 are mutually inclusive.
  9. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are coming off a 250 I'd recomend the KTM. The 650 is a big bike....It goes where it wants to - less forgiving than the KTM.

[​IMG]
  10. Dirt Hooker

Dirt Hooker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i've had several 250 2t's, an XR650L, and currently a XR650R- i agree for the most part what was said except for the part where maintenance is roughly the same between the KTM and the XRR. in the long run, the KTM is going to require a significant amount of maintenance over the XRR. i love the KTM RFS bikes, but they are lightweight racebikes that need to be maintained- it's not a knock on them- it's fact. i'm not saying they are not reliable either, but they are not as reliable as the XR.

the XR650R is a much heavier, beefier bike that is bulletproof- change the oil and you will go thousands of miles likely with no problems- if you plan on significant street riding, the XRR is much more at home on the open road.

BTW- i had an XRL- good solid bike that does what it's supposed to, but if your into high performance- i wouldn't get it. i had one for 3 years, then got the XRR- much better, but i'm a power junkie:wink:
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Have a KX 250, had a couple XRR's. if you like what the KX can do you'll HATE the XRR. Like most here said, look at the KTM. The XRR's aren't nicknamed BRP's for nothing. And when it comes to the truth about the KTM RFS bikes reliability and maintenance you might want to listen to people that have actually own the bikes as they probably know a lot more about that stuff then the so called internet experts who don't. :lol3
  12. buck80mph

buck80mph "Power Junkie"

Oddometer:
    but i'm a power junkie:wink:[/quote]

I am too!!
  13. Dirt Hooker

Dirt Hooker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buck80, it sounds like the XRR could be a great bike for you as long as you understand that it's a lot bigger bike (like Albie said). if you read through lots of threads here and at TT, you'll see that XR650R owners love these bikes, and when they upgrade to lighter/newer/more modern bikes, many times they regret selling the BRP. it's the most versatile bike out there IMHO. a possible downside could be if the kickstart is an issue

i came very close to selling mine to buy an RFS 525, but i decided to keep it as it's paid off plus i would like to do some longer dual sport rides that involve some serious pavement riding. in a perfect world i would have both:wink:

stock, the Katoom has better suspension, electric start, 6 speed, a plate('07), MUCH lighter, more nimble, much more a race trail bike. the steering geometry that makes it nimble in the woods also makes it a bit twitchy at high speed where the XR is a bear in the woods but nice and comfy at 80mph- the KTM is a much more modern race ready bike than a stock XR, but you do need to keep them maintained for them to run their best. the XRR is the type of bike that can be abused but still never let you down

hope this helps:freaky
  14. Ridin Dirty

Ridin Dirty What day is it?

Oddometer:
    Kick start??? That's a MAN start. When I exit the woods I have a real sense of accomplishment. Like running a marathon. Everyone on the trail will have a comment. The quad guys are usually in sheer awe that I could actually take such a huge beast deep into the woods over rocks, roots, and mud. The truth is that I despise it on the tough New England trails. Slow trails are not it's forte. Fast fire roads and occasional technical stuff are what makes it happy.

I'd add the XRR without replacing the two smoke. You need more than one club in your golf bag. KX is your putter and the XRR is your utility club.