Need Advise For 2011 Mexico Ride

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by dwj - Donnie, Apr 18, 2010.

1. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    OK, I know it is early for a January 2011 departure, but there is no need to wait till the last minute!:D Right?:lol3 Here are the questions so far:

Is there any problem entering Mexico at one location and exiting at another? I am referring to the Tourist Visa as well as the Temporary Vehicle Importation.

If I were to decide to go into Belize and/or Guatemala, is it necessary to cancel the Mexico Tourist Visa and Temporary Importation when exiting Mexico and do the paper work again when returning or can I spend a couple weeks in these counties and re-enter Mexico with no additional paper work? And then do the normal Mexico paper work before re-entering the USA? I realize that I would need to do the paper work for both entering and leaving the two additional countries if I made this detour.

I eventually plan on traveling at least down to Panama City, so the question of doing paper work when you exit one country when you will be back into said country in a few weeks applies to all of the Latin America countries.

Thanks!

Donnie

Nov 2010 update on questions here on post #80.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570837&page=6

Donnie
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    You've done z e r o research.
  3. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I wouldn't say that!:D

My wife and I just got back from spending 32 days in Mexico. We had a blast and plan on returning next year for another month, give or take a few days! There will be very few plans per say, just a list of places to possibly visit. It worked very well on this last 8,000 mile plus trip and is the same format we will be using next time. The last trip covered pretty much the perimeter of Mexico south of Piedras Negras and Mazatlan. Here is a link to the Ride Report that was posted from the road:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550086

The next trip, unless we include Belize and Gautamala will focus on the areas north of Vera Cruz and will entail zig zagging back and forth across the country in a east to west pattern. We could head further south into a couple of new to us countries or we could go further north to the state of Sonora. We have not decided yet. That is the reason for the questions.

I have traveled in Mexico by motorcycles on several occasions for well over 12,000 miles and feel comfortable traveling in the country. I worked across the border for 5.5 years and speak passable Spanish, but there are still some of the paper work formalities that I lack. I have followed one or more of your RRs down south. so if you could answer any of the questions I would appreciate it.:D

And if you want to go, we will be leaving approximately Jan 7. 2011! :deal

Donnie
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Why would you have questions about crossing at one border and returning thru another?
  5. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you leave Mexico, just keep your TVIP and visa tucked away if you're coming back within the period for which it was issued.

No need to cancel the TVIP unless you don't plan on being back within the 6 month effective window.

Tourist visa - just remain aware of its expiration date, and get a new one for Mexico if needed if and when you return through Mexico.

Good thing you're returning in 2011. If you've been to the movies, you know things are going to go to hell in 2012.
  6. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I assume that you can, but I have never done it and don't know for sure that you can. I have entered and returned at the same place each time I have been there. It may sound like a stupid question to you, but the simple fact is, I don't know!
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

It seems that when the news media gets to pounding on a theme, they won't let it go! It is not that I don't believe that violence exist at places down there, but they decide that we don't need to know about drug deaths here, but will pound over and over on occurrences there. Don't get me wrong, there are places that I won't visit or hang around in Mexico, especially border towns. I think it need a more balanced presentation. \

I did not feel threaten once while in Mexico and more importantly, my wife didn't!
  8. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

I've entered at one location and departed at another. And have since returned and gotten new permits so I can safely say that now that Mexico has computerized their paperwork that it doesn't screw up as often. :lol3
  9. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Just got my TVIP for next week's trip. At the bottom of the instructions
    page it reads:

Important:

When entering Mexican territory, you must first apply for a tourist
    visa at the National Institute of Migration.

It's very important to take note, that your vehicle permit will be
    issued for a period equal to that of your tourist visa. In case the
    request for a tourist visa is rejected you can not utilize the
    Temporary Import Permit.

My TVIP reads: "VALIDO HASTA 19/10/2010 180 " but this is superceeded
    by the term of the FM-T when issued by Migracion.

Also, on the Banjercito web site:

SIXTH: OBLIGATIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES

6.4 For an "IMPORTER" with citizenship other than Mexican, the authorized
    time period for the temporary import of the vehicle will be subject to the
    authorization of the National Institute of Migration. The permit's validity will
    be equivalent to the period for which the person is authorized to stay in
    Mexico, depending on immigration status.
    (http://www.banjercito.com.mx/site/imagenes/iitv/instruccionesIITV.html)

So it's clear that if your FM-T expires then your TVIP expires with it. Techni-
    cally you are supposed to clear Migracion when leaving the country and this
    requires clearing Banjercito as well, getting your "recibo" for the permit.

A brief jaunt into CA may not be a problem in the practical sense but,
    technically, is not exactly legit by all that I've read and could expose you
    to a red-tape hassle. So you are weighing the expense of new TVIP/FM-T
    against the possiblity/consequences of being challenged on re-entry. How
    likely? That's the question.

As far as entering and leaving Mexico through different ports, no problem.
    Migracion is Migracion and the same for Banjercito. Nothing I've read states
    any requirement to clear via the same port.

Tricepilot, you care to vet this for us?
  10. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks! I thought it was OK, but I wanted to make sure!
  11. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks! I am waiting on that RR!
  12. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Dude, I was referring to the Movie "2012"
  13. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Sure,

When you appy online or in person for the TVIP, they don't ask for your visa. You can get TVIPs all day long as long as your vehicle eligibility hasn't been screwed. As for it's relation to a visa, it's a legal technicality that your TVIP can't outrun your visa. It will only come into play when you find yourself in a bind, and someone wants to bend you over a log. Simply way to look at it is to make sure both are current for the time you're spending in Mexico.

Had lunch with Kiko last week. He lives in Ajijic, he's in country on an FM-3 level visa. He said he doesn't worry about his six-month TVIP expiration date - his FM-3 visa validity outruns the expiration on his TVIP. If you don't believe me, PM him.

As to the part about entry/exit point, it doesn't matter.

Little known fact about online application and being asked to state your port of entry: if your credit card is declined, the port you indicate is where your TVIP application will be held in a "ready status", until (1) you show up to claim it (and pay for it) or (2) the "start" date on your TVIP application passes and the aduana purges their files.
  14. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    I guess that's the difference between stated policy and how it actually
    works. Kinda like here in the US.

I do but I did. "Horse's mouth", you know.

That's a nice little nugget of info. I can guess how you acquired it if your
    credit cards work like mine. :deal
  15. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    So, what you're saying is that Mexico IS safe but only for the rest of this year? :rofl
  16. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Dude, this is 2010

You'v got the rest of this year, and all of next year.

Then things go to shit!
  17. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Good! Post up his reply here!
  18. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Donnie,

Like the others have said, it's multiple entries at multiple entry/exit points for the 180 days. However, I always cancel out even if I know I am coming back. One never knows what will happen to the bike while at home. I would hate to drag a pile of junk back to the border just to cancel out a permit that I didn't cancel when I exited thinking that I was coming back on a ride-worthy bike. Capisce?
  19. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had this problem so got a local sheriffs deputy to gin up a notarized letter to the effect that he had observed the bike in question and that it was located at my house in Minnestota.

I then took the letter to the aduana at Ojinaga where, after a suitable lecture from the officials, my paperwork was signed off and and I'm still allowed to import bikes. It would have been a major hassle if I hadn't been going to Ojinaga anyway.
  20. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    WOW! That is GREAT NEWS!!

Not only do we all have another year to travel Mexico, but it
    means that I'm only 52 years old!! WOOHOO!!:clap (Thought I
    was 53 there for a minute.)

Still, it's too bad that it's all going to shit after that.:cry