Need Advise For 2011 Mexico Ride

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by dwj - Donnie, Apr 18, 2010.

1. VolitioN

VolitioN I can has mileage?

Oddometer:
    figured i'd jump on the bandwagon before the world goes to hell in 2012 as well, so if you're in need of some muscle through the borders me and a buddy will be heading down through mexico at the same time from Ontario.

We plan on leaving around the third of january and will be traveling through mexico on or around the 8th-9th or so.
  2. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Or worse, dealing with closing out a TVIP after your bike was stolen. Or
    stolen in Central America!:eek1 Now there's a red tape situation, right there,
    you betcha.

I don't consider either scenario very likely but I do like thinking of closing
    out the TVIP as insurance against the possibilty. What will it add to your
    trip, Donnie, about $30 USD? Just sayin'.......
  3. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    As requested:

Hola Huevon, <~ WTF?! :scratch

About the FM-3, As you as you are legal in Mexico with a valid visa (FM-2, FM-3..) then your vehicle is legal in Mexico. Your FM-3 visa supercedes the validity of the Temp Vehicle Permit.

The problem with the FMT (in May it will known as FMM), is that it expires every 180 days. The FMT is basically for tourists, The FM-3 is for foreign residents. The FM-3 expires annually but I renew mine 30 days before it expires, so technically it is never expired. Every 5 years I have to re-apply for new FM-3 status, that is different than renewal.

Technically, I am suppose to cancel my vehicle permit each time I cross from Mexico to Texas and then re-apply again for a new vehicle permit when I re-enter Mexico. However, I never do that. And neither does about 100,000 other gringos who cross the border multiple times every year.

I've crossed the border about 4 times a year with the same vehicle permits on my vehicles that I obtained in 2006. The risk I take is if my vehicle is stolen or totaled in the states, then I cannot cancel that permit and obtain a new permit for the new replacement vehicle. It can be done but not easily.

I always cancel a permit at the border if I know that I am going to sell it or trade it in so I can obtain a new permit when I re-enter Mexico again.

Hope that helps, que te vaya bien..
    kiko<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  4. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now do you believe me?
  5. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto

Oh! I feel better now! Are you going to tell us about the movie or are we going to have to watch it?

Donnie
  6. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm not planing on returning to the US and then going on another trip to Mexico. My question relates to if I wanted to, for example, spend a month in Panama and then return home through Mexico. Is it necessary to "check out" of Mexico when headed south out of the country and then get a new visa and bike importation when I head back up through Mexico on the way home?

I definitely see touring all the way to Panama and back in the future, I would not expect the total trip to be longer than a few of months. I would be visiting several of the countries, including Mexico, twice on this trip. Could I make the trip through the countries that I would be traveling through twice on the original visa and importation from that country or must I get one going and coming back at each country?
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I had a FM-3 when I worked in Mexico and lived in Texas. I was never involved in acquiring it because the company lawyer handled it. I thought it was simply a work permit, I did not know it allowed you to live in Mexico!

Donnie
  8. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Bodyguards! :clap :clap :clap Is that supposed to be a link on your Signature Line? I tried unsuccessfully to open it.

Donnie
  9. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW, I appreciate all of the advise that has been given! :clap

Hopefully it is benefiting others as well! :D

Donnie
  10. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, but the same answer applies. I would check out of Mexico and then check back in. What if you crash the bike in Panama or it gets stolen? Then you would be SOL for going into Mexico ever again.
  11. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    "I do and I did." :bow

Kiko did add a bit more understanding which is always good.:clap

Got my email from Banjercito this morning after DHL succeeded on their
    2nd deliver attempt:

Estimado Sr. / Sra.
    Le informamos que la solicitud del permiso de importación temporal que realizó a través de la página de Banjercito fue aceptada, por lo que con esta fecha se envío el permiso a su domicilio, con el número de guía 5299149052 de la mensajeria DHL. Le agradeceremos que verifique que el permiso le sea entregado en un maximo de 7 días.
    Recuerde que debe encontrarse alguna persona en su domicilio para firmar de recibido, en caso contrario el permiso no podrá ser entregado y después de 3 intentos, será devuelto y tendra que tramitar otro.
    Para mayor información sobre su permiso, puede comunicarse a los teléfonos 1-800-225-5345 de la mensajería DHL o bien a la página de Internet www.dhl.com, donde con el número de guía suministrado puede rastrear el permiso y en caso necesario acudir a recogerlo a las oficinas de DHL más cercanas a su domicilio.
    Asimismo, le recordamos que una vez que reciba su permiso, debe enviar o entregar copia simple de la documentación que utilizo para realizar su trámite (con la que acredita su legal estancia en el extranjero y la legal propiedad del vehículo), a través de las siguientes opciones:

Envio digitalmente al correo electrónico itvnet@banjercito.com.mx

Envio por correo certificado a la dirección: Avenida Industria Militar 1055, Colonia Lomas de Sotelo, Delegación Miguel Hidalgo, CP 11200, México, D.F., en atención a la Dirección de Servicios Bancarios Fronterizos.

Entregar la documentacion en cualquiera de los módulos de banjercito ubicados en la franja fronteriza o bien en los Consulados Mexicanos ubicados en Los Angeles, Sacramento y San Bernardino en California; Houston, Dallas, Forthworth y Austin en Texas; Chicago en Illinois; Phoenix en Arizona y Albuquerque en Nuevo México.

ES IMPORTANTE MENCIONARLE LAS SIGUIENTES CONSIDERACIONES:
    USTED ES EL ÚNICO RESPONSABLE DE LA VERACIDAD DE LOS DATOS QUE PROPORCIONO PARA EL OTORGAMIENTO DE SU PERMISO VIA INTERNET.
    USTED ES RESPONSABLE DE REALIZAR EL SEGUIMIENTO PARA LA ENTREGA DE SU PERMISO, YA QUE SI DHL ACUDE A SU DOMICILIO Y NO LO ENTREGA, NO SE REEMBOLSARA SU DINERO.
    NO SE REALIZAN CANCELACIONES EN LOS CONSULADOS NI POR INTERNET, POR LO QUE DEBE CANCELAR SU PERMISO EN LOS MÓDULOS DE BANJERCITO EN LA FRONTERA.
  12. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Bingo! That's the point - checking out and back in is like insurance against
    any bad road karma waiting out there. I'd hold the FM-T and just redo the
    TVIP. I think it's around $35USD if done at the Banjercito office (border).
  13. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Whatever happened to the power of positive thinking. Geeesh.
  14. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    No! No! No! :nono We are motorcyclists. We are defensive thinkers by nature, which by definition which means looking at possible negative outcomes. This comes from dealing with cagers. It also comes from people like you "Mr. Risk Management." You taught us this! :D
  15. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I was referring to meeting Salma Hayek some day, vato
  16. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Probably when she's, like, 60
  17. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not positive enough! I met her last week and I can confirm she doesn't even know you exist :D
  18. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    you mean you killed another kitten....may it rest in peace :pope
  19. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    That's what spandex is for, bro'.:evil
  20. VolitioN

VolitioN I can has mileage?

Oddometer:
    lol sorry donnie, it'll be coming soon, just blue text for now. I figure ill give it another couple weeks to get things completely organized before i post a trip plan, but from what i've got so far, it's pretty extensive and i'll be more than glad to share it with you once its up