Need Advise on Artic Trip

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Shoganai, Mar 6, 2005.

1. BARB

BARB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just rent a KLR from Keith in Palmer, he'll probably let you leave your K bike at his house. It's cheaper than buying a bike for the run up the Dumpster. Do not choose the VTX over the K bike for this trip, you'll regret it. If you need tires call me ahead with size and date of arrival, we'll have them ready for you. Barb
  2. ASSRIDER

ASSRIDER Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. BARB

BARB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alaska
  4. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    I'm not an expert on fuel cells but I know the iron butt guys that never want to stop for gas use them. I guess I've never though of range because iv'e got a GS ADV, with an 8Gal tank. Isn't it just a seperate tank though with it's own fuel pump? For me it seems like alot of weight to carry if you only really need it once or twice on your trip. I remember you saying you do 30k a year and do alot of traveling though so maybe it's something you need for use all the time. Curious how far do you like to ride before you stop before a break?

It took me about 2.5 days up and back on the Dempster with great weather and great road conditions. We weren't really killing ourselves but not slow either. What is tourist paced, slow or fast? Tourist paced slow would be 2 full days up with good weather, plenty of places to stay in Inuvik. Half way up you can stay in Eagle plains if your not planning to camp. On the way back you'll be seeing the same things over so maybe you won't take as many pictures and will travel faster. I treated myself to a night at the Dawson City downtown hotel when I got finished.

Keep an eye on the weather and forecasts. Best case is it's been good weather for a few days before you leave and not forecasted to rain while your on the road. If it is sloppy the time to drive the road could triple.
  5. Curtis

Oddometer:
    It's an interesting concept but honestly, too big and cumbersome (54lbs. full). The flexible thing sounds good until you try to carry it somewhere on your bike. Then there's the issue with some spot becoming a rub mark with the rest of your gear and eventually becoming a hole.

If you don't like to stop then I suspect your saddle is fine so you don't get sore. For me that's my limitation, I need to stretch and walk for a few minutes. If you really want something permanent for all your trips regardless of fuel availability, then look into one of the ironbutt metal tanks or an aftermarket replacement tank. These ironbutt guys modify their bikes so they never have to stop for gas, well almost never.

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/auxfuel.cfm
  6. Curtis

Oddometer:
    Cool helmet cam. That's one of the better images I've seen from them and I've always wanted one. As for the lights, remember where your going it doesn't get dark. Are you looking for high beam augment or low beam?
  7. See-Double-You

See-Double-You Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of sunlight during the summer months. AUX lights might increase other driver's awareness, but you won't be needing them to light up the road.

Hella makes a nice product at a reasonable price.
  8. Curtis

Oddometer:
    I'm no light expert but there are plenty on this site. I would recommend searching for light threads and then posting about lights if you don't find anything. Alot of the info though will be about dual sport bikes and we like big ugly stuff on our bikes.

I installed the Sylvania HID's that Micatech were selling for a long time. These lights have served me well for low beam augment but they wouldn't fit or look right on your K bike. For high beam I've been interested in these.

http://www.trailtech.net/motorcycle_hid_parts.htm

Obviously I like the HID variety of lights. These could be illegal to use on highway, although I haven't read any disclaimers.

This is all dual sport stuff though and I'm not sure what would be best for a K bike. It looks like their all fairing and not sure of where to mount an aftermarket light. Most likely under the headlight where the fairing stops for the tire well. In this case they have to be relatively small.

If price is no object and you want very big light in a small package, then the Hella Micro DE Xenon seems like a sturdy and unobtrusive choice.
  9. Scalzitti

Scalzitti Adventure Driven

Oddometer:
    Owlseye - I'm headed to Alaska and the northern territories this summer. I'm leaving the first week of June, but will head east and then south first so I can get a running start at Alaska from Key West. I've been to Alaska before, but rode my R1200C. This time I'm armed with a GS Adventure and plan on putting on knobbies in Fairbanks. My plan is to get to Prudhoe Bay and then from there head to all of the dirt and gravel that I can find in Canada. I start my serious planning for this ride after the tax season and then I'm gone. Maybe we can end up doing some of Alaska together if our schedules synch up. Check this thread in a few weeks for an intenerary.