Need dirt track adventure Mercersburg Pa to Morgantown WV.

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by JLRzr, Aug 20, 2018.

1. JLRzr

JLRzr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really hoping someone here can help me.

I would like to ride my 500exc from Mercersburg Pa to Morgantown WV using as much dirt and gravel as legally possible the whole way for a decent adventure.

My kid attends college there and I think this would be a cool way to visit. It seems like there’s lots of areas between these areas that must have rural dirt or gravel roads and tracks... western Washington county md, Garrett county md. Etc. etc.

I will happily pay someone fairly if they can lay out something for me and either send it or post it in a format that I can import into Motion X GPS for my iPhone.
    fatbikeracer likes this.
  2. JLRzr

JLRzr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know nothing about any of the mapping programs that you can lay out a route with. Anyone?
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Google the PA dirt road map. Rastawheel posted it on this site somewhere as a GPX file.

Download a GPS program. I use Basecamp but since you are not using a Garmin product and you don’t have any experience, this might be a good opportunity to pick a better program and learn with that. I am used to Basecamp and don’t feel like learning something new.

Load the dirt road map into that program. I will start a trip by having the program automatically calculate a leg of the trip or the full trip (depending on distance). Too long and it takes the program too long to calculate.

Then I will overlay the dirt road map and drag the route on to the dirt roads.

I would suggest crossing into WV at the PA/WV/MD intersection. There are some great dirt roads in that area of WV. If you are on a big bike, you may want to be careful which road you choose. Even though some are labeled as roads, only lifted trucks with large tires use some of them anymore. Edit: I see you are on a 500. You’ll find some stuff there that you will love.
    JLRzr and fatbikeracer like this.
  4. fatbikeracer

fatbikeracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never rode the area but will cook up something at lunch with the Kurviger deal.
    disconnected and JLRzr like this.
  5. fatbikeracer

fatbikeracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JLRzr likes this.
  6. JLRzr

JLRzr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy Moly I just checked back here. MANY THANKS!!!! both of you!! I will post back shortly.
  7. JLRzr

JLRzr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool!! Ive never heard of Kurviger, this is awesome.

Some of the roads you have selected, fastbikeracer, are actually dirt roads too. Kurviger has a satellite view toggle. I will learn this one as best I can, and adjust to include the area that Vinzer Moto suggested. Searching for Pa Dirt Roads gpx now. Continued thanks.
    disconnected and fatbikeracer like this.