Need experienced riders for one in a lifetime motorcycle expedition

Discussion in 'Americas' started by salcar, Feb 24, 2008.

1. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    thank you for the kind words... save money while you have a job and then come join us in the future rides:D
  2. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Ride there ... cheaper
  3. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    If you are doing anything like this in May/jume, I'd be glad to join you. My riding partner (AFMracer) is becoming a paramedic, so he should be able to help... Me, I'll help navigate and whatever else you need.
  4. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    i'm pushing for April bc in May/June starts the rainy season and who knows what it is like out there....:evil
  5. LaOutbackTrail

Oddometer:
    I would like to do it in April, but I get out of school in May.:(:

Well, depending on how its been raining for the days before, I am wanting to attempt that route from La Ceiba, Hon to Puerto Cabezas. If its at all possible it should be interesting!
  6. motorbike.ventures

motorbike.ventures n00best of the n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh My, I would LOVE to go... except I am not experienced and have no medical background...

Oh well, something to dream on tonight!
  7. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:

do you have $ to offset the cost of the mecanic and MD:ear that's the other option :D
  8. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    That's crap dude. You get to express your opinion and then "but not interested into getting into this type of discussion... let's talk about riding"

One year to many.
  9. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    Dude, I'm a medic and an experienced rider, but I am still not sure what the heck you are trying to accomplish, or what you are really looking for.

The link you provided to what the "getting medical" whatever says nothing. Could you elaborate on what the goal of the trip is and what kind of safety precautions are in place and what kind of "donation" you are looking for. Is there a business plan to look at, or any kind of insurance set up to ensure med-evac in case someone breaks something that can't be fix by a McGuyver in the jungle?

I am all about doing something just for the adventure of it, but you allude to a mission of some kind here but it is not clear what it is. I have been involved with Northwest Medical Teams and they help all over the world bringing medical care and training to third world countries..have you tried contacting any of these types of organizations?

Anyway, good luck with your project and I'll take my answer off the air.
  10. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    I am a WMI wilderness first responder and a pretty good KLR mechanic. My wife and rode our KLR's to the southern parts of El Salvador and Honduras last winter but didn't make it into Nicaragua.
    I agree with Oregoncoast about hearing more of the plan.
  11. LaOutbackTrail

Oddometer:
    He's working on a project to teach medically trained people to ride motorcycles into difficult to reach areas in order to serve and help rural communities. I think what he is trying to do this trip is to get some routes together and to explore the region to help setup maps and routes for the moto-docs. Or something along those lines. I understand what you're trying to do Salcar, and good luck. I hope you get it worked out.
  12. kasto

kasto K7DL650

Oddometer:
    I am a med student in my last year, limited mechanical experience (though comfortable working on my Wee), extensive international travel experience, basic spanish, photographer. Could facilitate dissemination of trip mission and media through my school. Maybe even get a grant for my travel.

Busy until June, but if trip gets delayed or there is a future plan, I'd be super interested.

C.
  13. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    This sounds great! I wish I could come. No-way would my GS make it, though.

As for those of you wondering how to get your bikes to Nicaragua- it's not hard to ride it there. Way cheaper to ride it than to fly it.

Otherwise Salcar has some nice dirt bikes. If I was riding Nicaragua I'd want something in the 250-500cc range.
  14. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    Let's keep it simple. This thread is just for the April expedition if you have other questions please post them in the relevant thread.

The MAIN goal of this expedition is to develop a motorcycle route that goes around the country. Later this route will be used for healthcare missions and moto tours.

As of today there is no type of insurance. you can get medjetassist but not sure how that would work in the middle of the jungle :evil Thus we need experience rider to minimize the risk of broken bones and injuries.

sorry for the short reply but i'm in italy and have a lot of things to take care right now. i'll reply to your other questions by PM next week.

thank you:D
  15. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    i'm defenitely interested in bringing you down to Nicaragua. there are other riders that can come also in June. Let's plan a trip for those dates. let me know when you might be able to come down and if you need help to apply for the grant.
    :freaky
  16. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    u got it!

:thumb :thumb :thumb
  17. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    :D defenitely not with your PIG... that would be hell to ride/push in the jungle :rofl
  18. LaOutbackTrail

Oddometer:
    I'll meet you in Puerto Cabeza aye? I'll be coming from La Ceiba, Hon on that route i asked you about..... if the mud doesnt holdus captive.:nod
  19. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    OK I'm back in Nicaragua and trying to figure out if we can pull off this expedition. so far no luck getting more detail info on the route. Now that i'm back i think i'll be able to track some people down...

PRINCING: this is the big unknown...my rough estimates are that it will cost approx $3,000/person for the 2 week adventure (including airfare, moto, food and lodging). Of course we'll be sharing rooms, no support vehicle and no fancy hotels/food...

Dates:
    The departure date will be aroung the 20th of april so that we can take advantage of the full moon in case we need to ride at dark (not planning on it!)

MORE SOON!:D
  20. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    From Roarware