Need Flat Track Advise - RD250 & DT360

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Calkins, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Calkins

Calkins On Any Sunday...

Oddometer:
    I am going to try to get a 360 put together for the short track deal. They have a '70's Singles class that I could run. I'll get my ass handed to me, but it's seat time.

I have a XT500 that I could put together, but I would rather focus on this two stroke deal right now.
  2. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:

Just realize that in 70s singles you are up against 4 valve 4 strokes also.
  3. Calkins

Calkins On Any Sunday...

Oddometer:
    As stated above, I looking at a 1973 RT3, which I have started playing with. I found a frame, but not what I wanted. Although, it gets me going until I find a Champion, like I wish for.

I had a thought the other day. On a half mile, wouldn't the twin have an advantage over the single on certain tracks? With my limited experience, my thoughts were that the 360 single would rock on a groove track, and the 250 twin would own a cushion track. The torque of the single would pull it out of the corners. And, on a cushion track, you would not have to use a compression release, nor downshift to keep the twin within it's power band.

How wrong am I?
  4. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geared right, you shouldn't be shifting a single. The twin......maybe.

I will go back to my earlier reply, give it up on the twin. That is not a beginners bike, period. Learn to ride a good single. Very few ever mastered the twins. Very few!

What type of frame did you find? The Champions are good, but there were some other nice frames. I preferred Trackmasters, just like the way the set up in a turn. But, nothing was sweeter than an Astro! :D
  5. Calkins

Calkins On Any Sunday...

Oddometer:
    It is a Boss. From what I am finding, the owner of Boss was a welder for Champion. I am working on getting it shipped from California to Iowa. I hope to have it in a week or two. :evil

As far as the twin goes, that is not anything I would do in the near future. It just sounds like a neat project. It would be well after I find a Champion frame for my 360, and I am happy with that setup. I should then have lots of seat time on short tracks and half miles. Hopefully TT as well. The twin would be for half mile only.

Heck, by that time, I will have probably fell in love with the Boss, and would be looking for TT500 Boss frame!! :wink:
  6. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never rode a Boss frame, but remember seeing a number of them. Good plan, learn to ride dirt track before going off the deep end with a wicked engine like a Yamaha twin.

Once you try a TT500.... You may forget the twin idea. TT500's worked well.

Stay off a a 750......they are addicting :D