Need help identifying 620

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KPuusepp, Aug 26, 2021.

1. KPuusepp

KPuusepp It's a f***ing 950 adventure...

Oddometer:
    As someone new to LC4-s, then I need some help identifying this thing. It should be 620SC from 2000 but I don't get the all oil in frame vs separate thing. SC should have no oil in frame? Also it is missing the microfiber oil filter. So it isnt SC? Maybe the frame is from something else?

Also the headlight is not from SC or am i wrong?

Been googling this for over a week now and still confusing to me.

Attached Files:

2. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Photo didn't work
  3. KPuusepp

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Uploaded straight to forum now.
  4. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Headlight and front fender is from a EXC (or cheap copy) . The rest can't help you with
  5. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tere, The Super Competition Model has a simpler oil circuit than the other LC4s at the time. It doesn't have oil in the frame. However, it should not have the place for the front oil filter either. I suspect that it's frame has been swaped to a non-SC model, but all oil lines have not been connected to the frame.See below. Non-SC vs. SC oil circuit.

adv.JPG

SC.JPG
    Bitingdog likes this.
  6. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Well it is definitely oil in frame.

Different countries seemed to have different speced models of LC4. I had an old 600 LC4 that wasn't supposed to have oil in the frame, but apparently a few did. Carbs were different in different countries too.
  7. The Jester

The Jester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks to have had different body work fitted at some point. The bike has 620 graphics on the side panels but the fender, seat and tank are from the 640. Could be a 640e. What is recorded on the registration document?

From memory the lc4 640 replaced the 620 around 1998 with the lighter SXC and SC models named with the true capacity of the engine, 625, and fitted with a flat slide (41mm FCR?) carb rather than the Mikuni carb on the standard models.
  8. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the motor is a 620. Black paint - later 640's were silver (till they went black again w/ the high flow head - which this bike does not have) No e start - most (all?) 640's would have that. Has the filter for oil in frame - I assume the small fill/burp hole is on the right side of the headstock/between the tripleclamps is there?
  9. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its a 620 Egs Competetion.. Ktm made a bike that was similar to the 640 Egs in all aspects, expect they put in a 620 engine kickstart only, and a conversion piece of harness to connect the SEM Dry stator to the Kokusan parts.. Make sure to check under the stator cover on the clutch side. Since its running dry it can corrode, and thats trouble. Also make sure the drain is open..

I guess they had to many 620 engines on the shelf.. I had one of those myself.. Replace the cheap Dell orto carb with a Mikuni pumper, and i runs really good..
  10. KPuusepp

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone on the input. With this bike, it is unclear what is happening. It has papers and on the papers and steering head there is VIN code for 1992 lc4 600. So most probably the frame has been grinded down and new VIN (for the papers) has been stamped in. Asked from dealer and they said that with this vin code on the engine, it should be 2000 620SC.

Also I asked from the owner. He said that he had removed the microfilter and bypassed it. upload_2021-8-30_11-46-40.png

So I think it is a 620SC engine in a 620 EGS frame. Or am I wrong?