Need Help in Costa Rica - Bike impounded

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by krl, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Oh look, I have internet today! And water and electricity. :clap

My walk away cost is under a grand and it was well spent while researching the property. The hardest part of this place is adapting and tossing your expectations. Keep it simple and avoid Government agencies. The wife is losing it, coming from the Corporate world. :rofl

There are many ways for a young man to burn through cash. At least he'll have good stories.

Best of luck.
  2. pepelopez

pepelopez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow, internet and electricity at the same time, amazing.:clap

" He is hanging out this weekend and will start riding back north early next week." He better have the plate and both RTV and INS stickers before he heads north, or he's going to have a short trip, :deal
  3. krl

krl semi noob

Oddometer:
    "He better have the plate and both RTV and INS stickers before he heads north, or he's going to have a short trip,"

I thought he was leaving until I heard that he was waiting on his plates so maybe this time next week??? Sent him a message about the RTV and INS. Thanks for the heads up!
  4. pepelopez

Oddometer:
    it's a long process, before he can get the plate, he has to go to a RTV station to get it inspected, if all is well then they give him a form, or he needs to fix what ever they don't like, then he goes to a INS office to pay the registration and insurance, THEN he can get the lawyer to go to the national registry office to do the title and plates, about 7-10 days, then he goes back to the same RTV station for a sticker, then to a INS office to get the INS sticker, then with his permission from the national registry he can take the bike out of the country. i think REAVER did it all in less than a month.:eek1
  5. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    This is fucked up!

I'm sorry this is happening.

I've never heard of this happening in Panama.

I've heard anecdotes that in the US, they'll seize and crush your bike or vehicle. Like, right away, before you can even appeal. So I guess you're better off getting fucked in Costa Rica.

On the bright side, your son is getting valuable import/export experience. Maybe he can parley this into a career.
  6. pepelopez

Oddometer:
    Yeah it is, my lawyer said what should have happened is the guy north, should have called the guy south and asked him why he didn't do the TVP like he should have, at most he would have had to drive back to the south border so the yahoo could do his TVP, not the way it happened, what happened is he ran into a dick that could be a dick, and was. the lawyer said it could have been fixed going to court, fast, and no fine or taxes paid, and he won't charge for this, there's a special part of the supreme court that deals with government workers that are corrupt, and violate your rights. it's divided up into different parts that handle different things. :deal
  7. krl

krl semi noob

Oddometer:
    The lawyer has the DUA and the Reteve but could not process as it hasn't been "input into the system"?!?! Again, hurry up and wait!! Some days it's good to be a full time traveler with no timetables to follow but the frustration level must be growing. Great experience, somewhat expensive, not sure he can turn it into a money making exercise other than heading south and working for Reaver pulling weeds and re plotting lot lines while the wheels of gov't squeal for the application of some more grease......in both story's.
  8. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't the morale of the story that it is the responsibility of the bike owner to make sure the paperwork is correct before leaving the entry point? Rather than just suspending the permit, would it not be safer to just cancel when leaving and starting anew when returning North? I was always a little concerned in Mexico about suspending, but it did always work. Next time, though, I will just cancel and restart.

Sorry, I am always skeptical of a lawyer who afterwards says "I wouldn't have charged for that." Maybe so for a friend but more often than not, he would have charged, and plenty.
  9. pepelopez

Oddometer:
    He was told he was good to go at the border, so as far as he could tell, he was legal. and the lawyers are cheap here, just another job, plus i have a working relationship with several, i don't charge them, they don't charge me.:freaky and tico's are so afraid of getting caught doing something wrong, at least the low level ones, even the mention of calling your lawyer can get you out of most tangales with officialdom...:freaky at least when you are not at fault, you get caught in a radar trap, you're fucked.:eek1 all these countries are different, tico's are the most passive of the bunch.:evil
  10. pepelopez

Oddometer:
    don't have a lawyer do that part, first the DUA, then RTV, then INS then the lawyer, there is a order that has to be followed or you fuck everybody up. they aren't like real world lawyers, they all have their narrow field of knowledge, mine didn't know how to import a bike, i had to tell him and then he did it, it's not something that is done by people much here, business yes, people not so much, so if he didn't go to INS's yet, that could be the problem. it has to be registered first before you can get the title, a little backwards, i know. :freaky
    he can do it all but the national registry, that's what the lawyer does, having a lawyer do all the leg work is going to raise the price, and raise the chance of fumblefucking the whole works, leave the tico's out of as much as possible, for the best chance of a positive outcome. :clap
  11. JeepDawg

JeepDawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just curious, anybody care to share what it costs per day for hotel, 3 meals and some beers down there? I'm not talking 5 star resort, but someplace a gringo would feel ok hanging out while waiting a month for the paperwork shuffle.

This thread has been very interesting to me, glad i've only dealt with Canadian customs so far. :D
  12. pepelopez

Oddometer:
    anywhere from $25-$50 for a hotel, meals $30+ depending if you do a little shopping or eat out 3 times a day, beers are $3 in a bar, $2 in the store. if you feel up to the hippy life, you can stay with me, i have a couch. mountains, rivers. solar power, hot water if the sun comes out.
  13. pepelopez

Oddometer:
    Not sure when, but Reaver is opening a moto hotel, at least that's the plan, don't know if the XL is in the same class as the KLR, but he has GS rooms, and KLR camping spots...:freaky
  14. Reaver

Oddometer:
    No, that's the point. You can't unless you're gone 180 days first. You get 90 days so if you're coming back, you SUSPEND the TVIP rather than cancel. Either way, if the paperwork's F'd, so are you. Not like you can go around CR.

One day I suppose. I used to have an XRL so it's ok. There'll be plenty of projects to volunteer for. Sing for your supper sort of thing. Unfortunately I don't know when. I can see the damn place up there from my rental in the valley but I can't have it till the Lawyers say so. I'm watching the Palms grow. Doing a study on the growth rate of coconuts. Always wondered......
  15. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Wait a sec...

I thought that if you enter Costa Rica, and leave before your TVIP is up, then you can cancel it, and then get a new one, as long as you don't exceed 90 days.

For example, let's say you enter in Nicaragua, and two weeks later, exit to Panama and cancel your Costa Rica TVIP. Then, a month later, you re-enter Costa Rica, and you get a new TVIP. You were only in Costa Rica for two weeks, and you've been gone a month, so you can get a new TVIP that will be good for 90 days minus 2 weeks, or 76 days.

A few years ago, this is what Barb did. It worked fine.

I don't understand the *suspend* option.
  16. pepelopez

Oddometer:
    yeah, you got it, if you only use 2 weeks, then when you get the new one, it should be good for 2 months and 2 weeks, or 90, or nada, depending on the guy and if he got laid the night before,, it's all so depending on the dud of the day. :freaky what happened one day, is not necessary what happens the next, the guy can give you anything he wants, not over 90, but if he looks at you and says 2 weeks, then that's what you get, like when i go out every (90) days for my visa, sometimes i get 90, sometimes i get 60, one time i got 10, he thought that was funny, but he didn't think how easy it is to make a 90 out of a 10...jajajajaja:evil i've been here 15 years, everything is good for 3-4 years, then they get the hair up the butt and fuck with gringos for a year, then they forget about it and go back to normal, we are in the middle of a fuck with period.
  17. Reaver

Oddometer:
  18. pepelopez

Oddometer:
    costa rica survival package,, should hand out at immigration,,

Attached Files:

19. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't sound right as many people, at least in the past, get one going North to South and terminate at South end and then get another one in the opposite direction on the way back and terminate at North end.
  20. bananaman

Oddometer:
    That's what I tried to say but with more words.

I think the "suspend" idea is what started getting Junior into trouble?