Need Help in Costa Rica - Bike impounded

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by krl, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    It's one of life's lessons. Learn and let it go.

Nothing surprises me any more here in CR.
  2. krl

krl semi noob

Oddometer:
    "Or...you can just let it go."

Great idea but have to agree on the limited value as you mentioned above.

I am hoping that for those "future" motorcyclists that are doing their homework before they depart will, at the very least, receive some insight regarding the do's and don'ts of entry and exit from CR. The consequences of failure are clearly spelled out in this subject thread.
  3. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Just so readers can see the paperwork......

Except Mexico, all of CA is one piece of paper each. Most have English as well. Only takes a minute to check. On mine you can see I F'd up. I didn't get 90 days, I only got to Dec 31st which is 19 days short. Not a big deal but NOTHING happens for 6 weeks in CR at Christmas! That'll mean higher storage fees at the Impound Lot when I go to Import it.

#6 in the instructions has me wondering?

PA280001.JPG PA280002.JPG
  4. krl

krl semi noob

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, Reaver. Nothing better than seeing the actual document.
  5. Solohobo

Solohobo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was never a matter of CR officials being corrupt, though they see gringos as money pits, the bike was seized due to the enforcement of the law. There are heavy taxes/duties to import vehicles, period. Gringos and locals try to bring in things without paying the duties. Like coming down with a vehicle, getting in the country, then flying out, as CR is one of the few countries the Visa for the vehicle does NOT go in your Passport. Otherwise, they nail you at Immigration, no pay duties, no flight out.

I know it was a innocent oversight by your son, but you have to be alert to all the paperwork and customs formalities. The problem arise, when you have to start dealing with the various ministries, that are about as coordinated as a 3 ring circus, and add to that people not versed on the rules, and giving wrong answers, or doing things that are not right. Welcome to Latin America, where logic is not part of the equation.

Sixoala is set up to process a vehicle with a foreigner, it used to only be immigration. Same for Los Chiles now, if you want to put on a boat to San Carlos Nica.

AS for selling a vehicle with North American plates on it in CR/CA, the fool is the person that buys it, usually another foreigner, then they find out they have to import it to get plates on it, and that means 100% Taxes/Duties.

You can't cross the borders in CA with a vehicle that the Original Title is not in the same name as the Passport of Traveler. So if if a another foreigner buys a vehicle with NA Plates on it, and has a Title, but nots his name, they are stuck within the borders of the country they bought it in....

Many people drive a clunker car down and dump it or leave at border, not cool but they do...

There is a good website for RV/RTW travelers with private vehicles, "Driving the Americas", it covers all the formalities of driving a foreign plated vehicle in Latin America.

FYI- Even a Costa Rican (Tico) needs a letter of permission and paperwork, to take a CR Plates vehicle, out of the country to Panama or Nicaragua.
  6. pepelopez

pepelopez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect summary,