need help - intermittent starting issues KTM Freeride 350 2012

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bungle, Apr 23, 2018.

1. bungle

bungle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any experience of starting problems with the Freeride? The bike is harder to start cold but it will start...sometimes. Runs fine once going. Once hot you can shut off to talk to someone mid trail ride and it refuses to restart. I can't work out any other contributing factors. Then only severe repeated bump starting (e.g. bump down a hill, very reluctant to start until eventually it gives in and runs) will get it going. Help appreciated as I don't want to have to take it to a mechanics by numbers garage.

So far I've:
    - replaced the battery
    - checked all connections in the starter circuit
    - checked valve clearances
    - replaced the spark plug
    - looked for damaged wiring (nothing obvious)

Over the winter the throttle has begun playing up also. See video for example.

2. kwb377

kwb377 It's All In The Reflexes...

Oddometer:
    The fuel-injected Husabergs (blue KTM's) have a history with fuel pumps and Throttle Position Sensors causing starting/running issues. Might be something to look at...
    spokester and ohgood like this.
  3. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pull your tank side disconnect ,insert fuel pressure guage.Should be about 52 psi.
    Just because you hear the pump it doesn't mean you have pressure .
    Does your throttle body have the pull out hot start choke thing? your high idle sounded like it was pulled out !
  4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just replaced my entire wire harness on my Freeride 250 because of wiring failures. I found a wire that was broken under the tank, inside of the loom. I also found a connection on the CDI that was burnt. The CDI was unharmed but the pin on the wire harness was damaged.
    spokester and bungle like this.
  5. bungle

bungle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yes it was. The TPS was also off. It's starting more reliably now, but not 100% healthy sounding. I'll try the fuel pressure next.
  6. bungle

bungle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How old is your Freeride 250?
  7. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    3.5 years and probably closer to 300 hours than 200.
  8. tread55

tread55 Adventurer

Oddometer:

You probably already checked for the above issue but thought I'd throw it out there, just in case.
    spokester likes this.
  9. bungle

bungle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yes I've done that one already! Wow 10mins to explain that, now that's thorough video technique :-)
    spokester likes this.
  10. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wife's 350 had starting issues. Could be difficult to start but would then appear to run fine once started. Always started easier with the kick, less voltage drop without the starter. Turned our to be a weak fuel pressure regulator.
  11. bungle

bungle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s what I’m thinking at the moment. Mine is exactly like that, runs fine once going, it’s just getting going that seems to be the difficulty. I changed the in tank fuel filters today with no improvement. I’ve a friend with a tank similar that I’m going to try and plug-in first to test. Did she have to fork out for the whole pump and regulator combo as per the parts microfiche or did she get just the regulator?
  12. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was pressed for time so dropped it off at ESP suspensions for the diagnosis and fix. So complete KTM replacement pump unit $$$. Which pissed me off as I could of swapped the tank from my 500, figured out the problem and bought just the FPR from ebay or such. Did get the fuel pump assembly back so I have a spare now.
    bungle likes this.
  13. bungle

bungle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm not searching on fleebay with the correct wording but I can't see many regulator only listings. The £300 full kit is really not filling me with joy!
    spokester likes this.
  14. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try a Google search for KTM fuel pressure regulator. Lots of results for me.
  15. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Just in case, don't forget about the filter in the injector inlet.
  16. bungle

bungle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yes I tried to get it out but it wasn't looking like it would come out without applying too much force. I settled on soaking the whole injector over night in cleaner. Can it be removed without damage? Is it just the same as the inline filter for the fuel hose?
  17. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Yes, it should pop right out. It is probably just seated a little tight. No the filters are different .
  18. bungle

bungle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you know if the black plastic cap on top of the filter just pops out by levering the tabs inside with a screwdriver? These are such expensive items I don't want to risk breaking it unnecessarily. I've found replacement filters for this on fleeBay. Thanks.
  19. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    We are talking about the little cone shaped filter in the injector inlet ? Right ?
    It should come out with a pocket screw driver unless something is different about yours.
  20. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    20180303_135013.jpg