Need help removing left side engine cover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrbreeze, Jul 22, 2019.

1. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Trying to remove the left side engine cover on my 2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA but no joy. I got it started but I don’t want to force it. What am I doing wrong? I noticed the replacement part has threaded holes that can’t be accessed from the outside.

Stumped.
  2. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
    mrbreeze likes this.
  3. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    That’s what I expected to happen. Mine is still in the frame and elevated on a lift table. I don’t want to turn it over.
  4. tomrux

tomrux Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty strong magnets there you have to overcome. Need to be careful when going back on too. It will go back with a skin pinching snap. DAMHIKT.

Cheers Tom R
    Richy, Boatman, dtysdalx2 and 3 others like this.
  5. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
  6. Cogswell

Cogswell Now living the new normal.

Oddometer:
    Locate and release the wiring harness attached to the stator inside the cover.
  7. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    If all the exterior bolts are removed, the only things holding the cover in place are strong magnets. As shown in whisperquiet's video, you just need more force to pull the cover off. Or pry it out a little with a stiff putty knife, and work your way around sticking gradually thicker items in the gap until you get a good grip to pull it off. I'd probably use some wooden wedges to avoid scratches. I don't see any clearance issues that would require removing the engine from the frame. Lower the table and put a tie down or two on the other side to steady the bike if you are concerned about a tipover, but notice that the cover wiggled off OK and the engine did not shift without even a strap to the dolly.
    mrbreeze likes this.
  8. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    Yeah I wondered why it comes off so easily in that video. I will be picking up some door wedges on the way home today.
  9. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Only a matter of time.

Oddometer:
    Could be a bunch of RTV gooped everywhere for a gasket. Or stator wires.
  10. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Banging a screwdriver into the cases is a really good way to damage the gasket surface. Using door wedges is a much better idea!
  11. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    Well I didn't make it to the hardware store yesterday, and did not get to work on the bike last night. Maybe I will get'er done tonight....
  12. ibafran

ibafran villagidiot

Oddometer:
    All good advice, all. I used to use the hooked ends of a pair of those mini-pry bars in a slight rocking action to work cases off. I didn't see any locating pins/dowels/rings in the video. Usually there is a pair of them to make sure that the case/stator lines up with clearance on the rotor. Doesn't really like to come free until it comes off such pins maybe 1/4-3/8" gap to clear said pins? Sometimes I tapped on the side of the case with a candy hammer or wooden mallet while pulling as evenly a possible. The light shock of the hammer freed it a bit at a time.
    fran
    mrbreeze likes this.
  13. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Maybe a toilet plunger? Just a random wacky idea.
    slowfall likes this.
  14. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    Well I got the cover off. I disconnected the negative lead on the battery, and disconnected the electric cables for the CKP sensor. After that, a little wiggle and pull got it off. I moved the magneto and sensor to the new cover, and that's where I stopped last night. I didn't have any gasket sealer, and I was missing a couple of sealing washers. I procured those today, and I hope to make some more progress tonight.

The big dread now is getting the bodywork back on the bike.
    PaulTim2000 likes this.
  15. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I found wiping a touch of vaseline on the many little pins and fins and such that lock the plastic panels together helps make the job go much smoother. You can put a bit on the screw threads, too.
  16. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    I got it all back together. I put the lhs crankcase cover back on, aligned everything carefully, careful, careful - then the magnet snaps it back into place. That's when I realized the gasket was not installed. :doh

So I had to take the cover off again. Anyway, it's all good now. The bodywork went back on without too much trouble. I like the vaseline idea, though.