Need help scouting the Pacific Ridge Crest - Lake Isabella to Yosemite - Sept 20-21

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Jean-Luc, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Hello ADVenturers, here is a challenge for you: navigation, discovery, high altitude off-road riding... everything you like, isn't it :evil ?

Check this Thread to know everything about it...

I'm planning to leave on Friday the 19th, returning Sunday the 21st and I would love to have at least one rider coming with me!

Bonus: a try of the KTM 950 :ricky
  2. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    With the chance to ride a KTM 950 you'll have a line a mile long Jean-Luc!!!!
  3. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    In. :thumb
  4. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Kewl, just the one I wanted :freaky
  5. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    see that.....told you it wouldn't take long.

:dj
    R-dubb
  6. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    JL, JL here.
    I have intimate knowedge of that area, the off-road roads and trails if you need help.

I'm sorta not riding right now, and from what I gather I look like a piece of crap http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24111 , but I can waste at least 5 days between those two places if you need to. A lot of wilderness cuts the area up but you can make a good route around it.

Not to be missed: Ponderosa Burger!

JIMMY
  7. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    I'd like to get in on that! J-L, JL, and cRaSh together? Call the Sheriff! :evil

mully
  8. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Hey JL, I would certainly love to have your help on this and even more riding it with you, no matter how you're dressed :evil ... BUT what about your knee? I thought you were not supposed to ride at all :confused

Let me know about it. We should at least hook up to speak about the different options you're aware of.

J-L
  9. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. Law Dawg (ret)

Law Dawg (ret) Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just returned from 178 east and checked the Chimney Peak Backway. You should find the start easily enough (well marked). It is past Onyx and Cane Brake (east of). Y'all should stop and check the board, they have a map with washout info (about 100 yds) from 178. I returned to 178 east and so did not go far on the dirt.

The official Forrest Circus map (I'm a low tech guy) section L 10 shows no legal dirt way through the Domeland Wilderness area so you will probably have to hit blacktop on the Kennedy Meadows Rd heading back towards Sherman Pass Rd to get through the wilderness area.It's doable and gives ya more dirt!!

A warning: There have been two nasty forrest fires there in the past few years (and more than a few little ones). The Monanche Meadows fire(about 3 ago) and the Mc Nally fire (last year). The Mc Nally fire has been followed with some severe rain storms as little as a week ago. Caused major washouts and mud slides...watch your 6. There is a Chevron a few miles west of the Chimney Peak Backway, I recommend you use it and top off as it will be a long way to the next fuel. Be prepaired for hot,cold ( I mean COLD), and summer storms. We camp,hunt and fish in that area and have seen some unbelievable weather during this time of the year.

Not trying to throw a wet blanket on the trip, y'all should do just fine.

RWLWFWH
    Dawg
  11. Law Dawg (ret)

Oddometer:
    The scenery on this route is spectacular. Much better than the pavement along the Kern river. I would not miss it.
    Dawg
  12. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, has anyone actually done Canebrake rd from 178 to Kennedy meadows?
    Recently?
    David
  13. Law Dawg (ret)

Oddometer:
    Sorry I could be of no better help today as I had to scout out another ride for a local group. The Kennedy Meadows road is open all the way to the Kern River (for now). The board at Chimney Peak shows a side route blocked (for now). No indication of any other closures (for now). Looks wide open and BLM is pretty good at posting road closures at the turn offs. I do know the area fairly well and would have to say here that a trip along the Kern River would be no closer the the actual Pacific Crest Trail and does not hold a candle to the route suggested.

BTW, notice the (for now) parts? These are designed to give the riders of the dirt an burning desire to go for it! If you pass this one up, you should return another time. The Domeland Wilderness area is da bomb!!

RWLWFWH
    Dawg
  14. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Jean, did you get your 950 yet? Also let me know if your heading North to South or the other way around? I may be able to meet you guy's at fish camp depending on my schedule for that week.
  15. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great info and a very accurate update! :thumb

I will review the map & route tomorrow with your comments in mind.

I'm glad to know that the scenery is so beautiful and I'm really looking forward for this trip. It's cool too to know that there is still not a sign of the snow coming soon.

J-L
  16. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Yep, got it :getdown ! So far she's just as good as expected... can't wait to try her on the dirt.

We will do the ride from the South. Did you find a riding partner? I known Rad wanted to do some scouting too...
  17. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    WOW you got that beast faster then I expected,Congratulations! I haven't really talked to anybody about riding out there with me, I know Vrago expressed some interest but I haven't really talked to him about it yet. For me it would be better to do this thing during the week so that makes it really almost impossible for many. I'm thinking from Fish camp to Highway 4 doing trails with photos and such it should knock out a good day of riding. I would love to do this thing on the 400 DR-Z but that means trucking it down there. If Vrago or Rad are available on a weekday maybe we shoud talk, send me a PM. The week of September 22 looks good for me if you guys want to take a crack at it.
  18. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will this be another French Rally?
  19. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Law Dawg, PM me. Seems like you're in the area. I'm looking for a dirt riding partner :evil
    GSDave (aka The Onion) doesn't like dirt on his K/RS much :dunno

Greg
    Bakersfield
  20. Law Dawg (ret)

Oddometer:
    Sent an e mail as the pm is not active on my end. I do 90% pavement but do like the odd mountain dirt road,logging spur, fire road etc. Probably will increase the dirt quota as my skills on this dirt buffalo increase. He is way too big and expensive to try "envelope" dirt on. And yes I have chicken strips Jabba! I have done other high risk stuff to prove my macho quotient.

RWLWFWH
    Dawg:evil