Need help scouting the Pacific Ridge Crest - Lake Isabella to Yosemite - Sept 20-21

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Jean-Luc, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's an offer to you travelers who are coming from afar. I have room for a few folks to spend Friday night at the Gerg Palace. Nothing fancy, Bikes behind a fence for the evening and cold beer. This would allow you to be at the dirt entrance in about 1.5 hours.

You can however stay at the lake in one of the campgrounds. A couple have showers. Pioneer Point is about 2 miles off of 178 (on 155). There IS a shower there.

Just let me know if you want to stay here in Bfield.

Unfortunately I don't think I can make this ride due to prior commitments:(:

Greg
  2. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much Greg, it's very generous of you! It was a tough decision but we decided to pass on your invitation for this time: we have quite a ride to do for the PCT and only 1.5 day to do it. Therefore we want to be at Lake Isabella, ready to go early on Saturday morning. Thanks again!

It should be a great trip with great weather and even greater buddies since cRAsH and Yardsale confirmed they're coming!
  3. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jean Luc, No problem. I certainly understand.

I see you didn't list Mully. Did he decide not to join you?

Greg
  4. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure he was really serious about it since we realized that Jimmy couldn't come. Besides he has already plenty on his plate scouting the south roads, especially if Traveltoad lets him down again :evil.

If we want to do this ride next summer, we need more teams of 2 or 3 riders rather than fewer / bigger teams. That’s why Vrago who was interested in coming with us finally decided to join Boejangles in his scouting: a team of one in not good either!
  5. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Any serious dirt ride'n for me is done for ??????????:dunno

Da horrible back pain is gone but so is some of the fuction of my left foot:huh

MRI on da 22nd and see the Neuro Surgeon the following week.

I've been here before. "bout 7 years ago back surgery was 100% successful for me.

Have fun you guys
  6. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    :huh WTF :arg
    I had no idea you had such troubles!!! I'm so sorry to hear that! Please let us know what's going on with you and if we can do anything to help. Really a shame...
  7. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer J-L

I’ll let ya know if I need anything, like maybe a big orange bike..Oooo, that would make me feel better:smile6

It has been get’n real bad lately. The intense pain would drop me to the floor. The pain is now low grade/ chronic but I can’t do anything or it gets extreme. Can’t run, bicycle etc….I’m go’n crazy from no exercise.

The good news is that I’m pain free ride’n my GS on the street….so I’m still ride’n

I’m hope’n this gets fixed quick cause I miss my weekly dirt fix at Hollister.
  8. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    J-L, I'd say something smart-ass... but I did let Mully down so I deserve it! (I hate that!) In fact, Mully may not even be talking to me any more. I had no idea how much beer this was going to cost!
  9. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Too bad mine is grey :):

I'm glad you can at least ride on the street vs poor Rick being a cager right now :(:

I'm sure you've already tried everything but this week I tried acupuncture for the first time (for my tennis elbow) and it works quite well for some type of pains...:dunno
  10. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Hey, for enough beer I could even stop being a smart-ass :lol1
  11. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    J-L,

What do you think about this possibility? Sounds very good! Since you have my maps, I can't look it up. Let me know if you find it on the Garmin maps.

Sounds like things are coming together on your end.

:dj
    R-dubb
  12. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Rad man,

I sure hope your OK. Pain sucks big time. I know the feeling. We all tend to push activities as far as possible. The pain tells us when its time to stop. Let us know how things go...

Worst part of being laid-up is the inactivity. My boy asked me what I do at work. I told him, I just sit on my ass all day. I'm getting fat, and I'm not very happy. Hopefully you'll won't be down too long.

R-dubb
  13. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Back pain really, really sucks! Hope you get back out there soon, soon, soon!
  14. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Yes, it does sound very good because much closer to the PCT. However, I was there 1.5 year ago and Kennedy Meadows was closed for a big washout close to Kennedy peak. It looks like it was more or less permanent... here the sign

[​IMG]

Since we are in a tight schedule, I'm not sure we can take the risk to go there and do a U-turn: that will eat too much time :confused

One more thing is that Jimmy Lewis was nice enough to call me back and we spoke today about the area! The route you planned seems great but there is at least one section impossible which is the one from Keyesville to Rancheria. He advised me to take Sawmill instead... Very excited about this trip now :ricky
  15. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    I tend to agree. To bad, the Kennedy Meadow excurssion looks nice. I checked the maps, and it would be almost the same distance to go that way and most of the roads are faster (less twists, more pavement), so it would save time to go that way.

I think the current route will be fine. We are not going up the Kern River, as originally shown.

Jimmy is right, I'm sure, about that nasty Rancheria section. I changed the file to show Sawmill instead. I also added two alternate legs that take the route through Kennedy Meadows. They stop and start at the same points and would substitute for D1 & D2. You will see if you down load the updated file: PCQ 2 - Southern Sierra

Let me know if you need anything.

R-dubb
  16. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    It's the section to go to the Rancheria. He did say it's a "A-level enduro trail so impossible on a GS" ...
    Got it! Maybe a "local" like Law Dawg or Gerg can scout the Kennedy Meadows road?

I created the GPS route for the missing section South of Lake Huntington with the topo software: it's all 4WD and should be fun!
  17. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    We'll catch you down the road on a better day Rad and thanks for getting back to me. Vrago volunteered to try the Yosemite scouting with me so were all set for the latter part of the month of September. About the only time I can remember not being in pain was 5 months ago when they had me on Morphine because of an appendectomy burst. :huh It seems like I'm always dealing with some type of work related injury (Construction) sometimes a little time off can do wonders for rehabiltation. Take your time the mountains aren't going anywhere and get well soon..
  18. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:

:rofl

No shit
    From all my sports I've had hand surgeries, back surgery, knee surgery...Hell I've got at least two other joints they could start work'n on right now. With all my broken parts ya woulda thunk I’d have been good at sports…no luck:arg But I have fun:1drink
  19. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    send me that piece and I'll plug her in. On second thought, I'll wait till you get back. Sounds great. I assume the missing section you mention is the "Swamp Route". :rofl

R-dubb
  20. Law Dawg (ret)

Law Dawg (ret) Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can pick up Rancheria from Hwy 178 about 4 miles west of the mouth of the Kern Canyon. I do not know why you are going to go that way as it is far from the PCT:confused . The Kennedy Meadows Rd is open as is the Chimney Peak Bypass that leads to it. The Forrest Circus, fire fighters, and loggers use them as main roads to get throughout the area. I would chance it as it actually crosses the PCT in two areas. I noticed your photo had snow and that would explain the "permanent" appearence of the road block. This area gets large snow and is usually closed during the winter. The BLM/Forrest Circus would wait until late spring to do repairs.

Sorry I cannot ride the road to give you an to the minute report as there is no time.....you will be there on the 20th, no? Bakersfield is a 1.5 hour trip from the Chimney Peak Bypass. The map at the Chimney Peak Bypass did show only the Long Valley Loop closed, your route would take you past that . Both the Chimney Peak and Kennedy Meadow roads are main routes into the Domeland Wilderness Area and beyond. They would be opened quickly if damaged (after the snow melted).

If you need, you can e-mail for more info(my PM is off line). I am really nosey about the reason for the Rancheria route.

RWLWFWH
    Dawg