Need help. Ship moto to Chile or Peru

Discussion in 'Americas' started by SouthAmerAddict, Jun 12, 2021.

1. SouthAmerAddict

SouthAmerAddict Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I've spent countless hours online, on ADV websites like this one and HU, filling out forms, emailing, calling, etc. and have come up with nothing. I want to ship my VStrom to Chile preferably, or Peru 2nd choice in January 2022 by air freight. Have come up with nothing, to include UShip and many others.
    Any recommendations?

thx!
    powderzone likes this.
  2. powderzone

powderzone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Air Canada will air freight to Santiago from most major Canadian airports. At least they DID…before Covid. Once the border opens up, you could ride to Vancouver, BC and freight it from there. They actually have a Moto freight program. Cost is typically similar to the cost per passenger.
  3. SouthAmerAddict

Oddometer:
    Where did you get info on Air Canada and Santiago? Pre Covid brochure only shows Europe and Casablanca.
  4. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. powderzone

powderzone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also thought Air Canada had canceled their Moto freight service to S. America but I flew to Santiago pre-pandemic and watched the ground crew unload a big BMW strapped to a pallet. Flight attendant confirmed that it is a regular occurrence.
  6. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk

watching with great interest!
  7. SouthAmerAddict

Oddometer:
    I emailed the Air Canada department that handles motos yesterday, I'll post their response here if I get one. Their website says that all moto shipment ops have been cancelled due to Covid. I live in WA State and we're going full open July 1st, so hopefully Canada won't be too far behind. Having said that, I found a freight forwarder here in Seattle that can do it. Waiting for a preliminary quote from them. But that would involved trucking my bike to LAX, then forwarding on a S. Amer. airline. It'd be easier to just drive 3.5 hours to Vancouver and throw the bike on a plane there.
  8. Topbox

Topbox n00b

Oddometer:
    I conntacted
    https://www.motofreight.com/

about shipping a bike from Uk to S Africa. They quoted only sea freight at £800+ some warehouse costs and they need the bike 8 weeks before delivery. When I asked about air freight they said air costs have gone through the roof.

They should be able to ship to Chile.

TB
  9. SouthAmerAddict

Oddometer:
    I already contacted them, they said they couldn't help me. But thanks anyway.
  10. SouthAmerAddict

Oddometer:
    OK, here is the email from Air Canada below. I also called them and the agent at Air Canada Cargo told me that yes they will ship to locations in South America, it's just that they don't offer the periodic discounts that they do for shipping to their regular destinations. Based on the dimensions I gave them for my 2018 VStrom, and an estimated total (filled panniers, etc.), of 550 lbs (not kilos),

I was quoted a price of $4100 ($CD) to Santiago from Vancouver. That doesn't include destination charges for an agent there to process the bike and paperwork. Also important to note is that was without having to crate the bike. They just strap it down to a pallet. As per below, they say it's cheaper if the bike is crated, but of course now you've got the expense and hassle of crating the bike.

-------------------------------------------------
    We do ship motorcycles to selected origins/destinations in South America. Unfortunately, there is no word on a motorcycle promotion, as there has been in years past. With that being said, the pricing can be drastically higher. Hopefully, as border restrictions are loosened and flights frequencies increase, the promotion may come back.

If you require a current quote, please contact us at 1 (800) 387-4865. Please have the weight/dimensions of the motorcycle, or the create that it is being shipped within. Crating the bike entirely may be cheaper for the shipping charges, as it is protected and can be coloaded with other freight.
    ---------------------------------------------------

When enough borders can be verified open for me to ride home to WA State, USA from Chile, then I'll go. Hopefully in Dec or January.

My second option is to pay to have it crated here in the Seattle area and have it flown down to Chile from here in Seattle closer to my home through a freight forwarder called Vantage Point Services. Here are their rates as per an email I got from them:

--------------------------------------------------
    Pickup Of the Motorcycle If Needed: $390.00 – Other option would be you could drop off the Motorcycle off at the packing companies warehouse.

Export Handling & Documentation: $150.00

Customs Messenger Fee: $35.00

Export AES Fee: $7.50

Airfreight Airport To Airport: $5.80 ($USD) per KGS ( Based on the higher weight between actually & dimensional)

Motorcycle Crating & Packing: $575.00

Airport Delivery For the Motorcycle: $165.00

Cargo Insurance If Needed: $.65 per $100.00 in value or $65.00 min.
    -------------------------------------------------

For me this would total under $2500 based on the estimated 250KG bike and bags. This seems suspiciously cheap. Maybe something to do with more money based on the dimension of the crate as per above, but I'd have to verify that. However with the current conversion to $USD from $CD, even with an estimated several hundred or more in destination fees, that's still well under $4,000 USD if I went with Air Canada vs. Vantage Point Services.

Pretty good either way IMHO.