Need Help trying to decide on a bike - F800GS or V-Strom?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by dukedar, Mar 4, 2009.

1. dukedar

dukedar 60 easy payments!

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

New to the forum here, and I am currently trying to decide what my next ride will be. I currently have a '93 Honda Nighthawk CB750, and I am looking for a so called adventure tourer. I like the 'standard' type seating position and I have narrowed my choices down to a V-Strom or F800GS.

I haven't ridden either yet, as it not that time of year! I am leaning towards the BMW, but the higher payments have me shying away a little. My riding will consist of maybe %60 commuting, %20 touring, %10 gravel & dirt roads, and %10 trails. The difference for me right now is about $100 a month.

I am also strongly considering getting ABS, and that riles out the DL1000. How different is the power between the DL650 and F800GS?

Anyone out there tried both? ideas? thoughts?

Thanks!
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I've owned both. I liked the Wee. But the F800 pushes all of my buttons. From the style of riding you describe, the Wee will do fine. But the F800 will do it better. About the only area I'd give the Strom a slight edge is in weather protection. Everything else, the F800 blows the Strom away. Including the price. :lol3

Well worth it, though. Test ride both, then decide.

David
  3. Cap'n Ron

Cap'n Ron The Devil's Advocate

Oddometer:
    All logic and practical sense would definitely say buy the Strom. But since I have never purchased a bike based on logic or practicality issues, I say buy the 800. I purchase bikes purely on passion and have never been the least bit dissappointed by anything I've purchased using this approach. On the other hand, everytime I buy something because it is practical, I am always dissappointed.

Buy whichever one you like most. :deal

Have fun!

:freaky
  4. the darth peach

the darth peach eats crackers in bed

Oddometer:
    That's tough. You have to ride them both and do it back to back if you can.

I've riden both, but they are very different bikes.
    For maintenance reasons ($$) I'd go with the suzuki.
    But I REALLY enjoyed my ride on the 800gs.

Really depends on what suits you and fits well to you.
    I've seen both bike go crazy places.
  5. dukedar

Oddometer:
    You hit the nail on the head! The F800 pushes all of my buttons too! Compared to my current bike, both have more weather protection, so I am not too concerned! Th Strom is sensible, but I like the F800!
  6. dukedar

Oddometer:
    Definitely logic and practical sense are heading out the door! :evil I am definitely passionate about the F800!:clapI got back into riding almost 4 years ago (got my permit in '89) and the Nighthawk was sensible. It does everything well enough, but excels at nothing. Gravel is OK, but forget trails. The Strom caught my eye at the same time, but I resisted. I have had my eye on it since, but the F800 just makes me gaga.
  7. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    Oh boy. We're gonna combine the Wee vs. Vee AND the BMW vs. the world discussions in one thread!?!? Well at least there shouldn't be many FD failure stories.

:1drink

I got $5 says this ends up in JM by Easter.

:hide
  8. dukedar

Oddometer:
    This is my real dilemma. At this time of year here, NO ONE does test rides. Even if it is dry, they just don't want salt & crap on the bikes, even if people do sometimes ride in the winter. The BMW dealer will not have test units until the end of April, and the demo day is in May. For Suzuki, the demo day is in June, I think, and they didn't mention test units.

BMW offered me a 100km or 24hr money back guarantee. I was kind of surprised that they would go that far... for not test driving it. If I order it now, it will come at the beginning of April. If I wait until May, then there will be another 1-2 month delay! I haven't gotten that far yet with Suzuki.

My other problem is that while I did get some discount from BMW, it is so so. The Suzuki dealers seem more interested in haggling a price.

Are there big maintenance problems with the F800?
  9. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Watch this. It may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?<wbr>v=PI_yUmLQaGs&feature=related

10. dukedar

Oddometer:
    Blame the damn nOOb! :kboom

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to start a 'best oil' type thread. Just some good advice on choosing between a DL650 ABS & F800GS ABS. The big Strom is kinda of out for me, because I want ABS.
  11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Nothing of any note so far. But it is a new(ish) motorcycle, so the jury is still out.

Listen, if the F800 rings your bell, and you have the coin, then order the bike. You will not regret it.

And ABS is a very good thing, IMhO.

Oh great, two items of contention in one thread; choice of bike, and ABS. You really think this'll last here 'till Easter, JoeyBones? :lol3

David
  12. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    Now you are going to start the ABS debate...:rofl

13. dukedar

Oddometer:
  14. dukedar

Oddometer:
  15. dukedar

Oddometer:
    Well, I threw caution in the wind, and bought the F800GS!

The extra 2 yrs of warranty pushed me in that direction, not to mention my desire to do more off-road. Currently also in a Jeep club, and I know/have access to trails.

Got the 100km/24hr 100% satisfaction guarantee, so if for whatever reason it doesn't click, I get my $ back!
  16. DBrentMiller

DBrentMiller Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer:
    I think the BMW 800 GS is probably a pretty good motorcycle. However, you may not have the dealer support you will find for the V-Strom DL650. Secondly, there is considerable price difference and cost of maintenance. Maybe you don't care about that. Some do.

Since I dismissed the 800 GS and bought the V-Strom, here is where you might start reading all the comments and my two reviews of the V-Strom DL650: http://www.sojournchronicles.com/2008/11/a-season-of-comments-about-the-v-strom-dl650/.

Brent
  17. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club. Had you figured for an F800 buyer from the get go. :1drink:freaky:clap

18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Assuming they can pry your butt off of the seat after 100km/24hrs. :lol3

Congratulations!

David
  19. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    HA! I wish I had the guts to buy it like you did! One day post and you already own the F800GS! :thumb
  20. dukedar

Oddometer:
    The BMW dealer in Montreal is quite well known, but yes your are right. There are only really 2 in town, and neither are that close to me. There are most definitely more Suzuki dealers around.

I did go for the BMW today, but I did have a read of your articles anyways. You make very valid points, but the Strom just didn't click with me like the F800Gs does.