Need Help trying to decide on a bike - F800GS or V-Strom?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by dukedar, Mar 4, 2009.

1. dukedar

dukedar 60 easy payments!

Oddometer:
    Thanks! What gave me away?
  2. dukedar

Oddometer:
    I am just praying for decent weather! 5mm of freezing rain tomorrow, followed by just rain. I hope that all the snow goes away!
  3. dukedar

Oddometer:
    I was once the fence to start, but I was leaning in the direction of the F800GS... I posted to try and figure out alternatives. Don't get me wrong, I had my eye on the Strom for the last 2 years. It is what turned me on to adventure bikes. It's just that the F800GS went further for me... 3yrs warranty to boot, and almost $1000 off the MSRP base. Heck, I was even looking at the pseudo 800 F650GS, but at 6'2" I found it just a little low...
  4. Kidder

Kidder Poser Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats! As the owner of a DL650, I was going to tell you to get what you REALLY want. I think you would've liked both but the BMW seemed to be more of what you wanted.

I really like the new 800 GS, myself!
  5. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    F800GS - Poetry... the art of rhythmical composition, written or spoken, for exciting pleasure by beautiful, imaginative, or elevated thoughts.

Vstrom - Prose... the ordinary form of spoken or written language, without metrical structure

Ok, I'm biased!

It comes down to the type of riding that you want to do? Are you more road based? Do you want to get off the beaten path but your not sure what you might encounter? Are your adventures planned so you don't have to worry about road / trail conditons? What does your heart tell you??

I don't know anything about the Vstrom, honestly. However, based on the looks of the bike I can say that the F800GS is going to take you to more out of the way places! If your trips are very researched and mapped and you know every twist and turn then Vstrom. If you are going to live a little off the cuff and throw somethings at the bike that you may not know about, ie fire road to some abandoned mine in Colorado. The F800GS is going to handle that much better because of its suspension.

In my research, I looked at the Vstrom and instantly said NO. Thats just me. I live in Colorado and some of the back roads I wanted to travel would not be condusive to the Vstrom. So I kept pondering and pondering. I would love a big 1200GSA but it was too big and heavy for when I got off road. Bam! the F800GS came into the picture and my heart fell in love! That was it, that was the bike. I knew right then and there when I first saw it that was the bike I was going to buy!

Everybody goes through the evaluation of all the bikes they think are in their category. That is when you are thinking rationally and being open minded. However, there is always the one or two bikes that you can throw out based on how your heart feels. You don't like the looks, you have some pre-consieved notion (right or wrong) about a brand etc etc...

You've got it down to two... So now you have to dig deeper to determine what is it that you want? Lets start with the basic question.. How much street and how much dirt? Vstrom more street, F800GS more dirt!? Is price a consideration? What type of riding do you plan on doing?

Every time I get on my F800GS it fulfills me to every extent I can imagine. I love it, it does everything I want it to! Ride both, determine which one is going to be right for you. Then buy a F800GS! :lol3
  6. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    + 1 as I was going to say essentially the same thing :thumb I love my Wee but the BMW :bert is powerful :patch

7. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    Me...
    Current DL650 owner
    Current BMW R100gs and R80st

My vote. Get an ABS V-strom 650.
    And use the left over money (which will be lots) to take a trip.
    Or nuckfugget the heck out of the V-strom.

In the long run the Wee will cost you far less money.
    In the 12k miles my wee has cost me
    one rear tire, a few oil changes and a bunch of tanks of gas.

My service experience with BMWs is a little bit different.

As for the F800gs
    I wanted to like it
    It did away with lots of the things that new BMW have that I don't like
    Final drives, funked up "suspension" weird switch gear.

But in the end it was not as off road worthy as I'd like it to be.
    Really it's not that much different then the DL650
    except for the bigger displacement and it's much less ugly.
    However....
    I could go out get a used DL650 and a used XR650L
    have them both set up for touring
    and still spend less then the price of a new F800.

Now it comes down to the subjective choice.
    Which one turns your personal crank?
    If it's the BMW
    Get. Otherwise you will get the weestrom and wish that you got the F8gs
    and then finally you will break down and end up buying the beemer in the end.
  8. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
  9. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    First, to get the bias out of the way,I just bought a used DL650 and I love it. And, I've never ridden the 800GS, in part because I didn't want to like it and be tempted to spend 3x the cost of a used DL650. But I wonder why compare the Wee and the 800GS. To me, the Wee is much more comparable to the new F650 twin (19" front, cast wheels, less suspension travel etc). If you really plan to ride dirt at speeds the 650's can't handle, you have to spend the bucks and get the 800. But if you prefer the BMW, why not get the 650? I already have a Ducati so the Wee was a perfect complement. But I haven't ridden the Duc in the few weeks since I bought the Suzuki.

-dman
  10. Eightbll101

Eightbll101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your purchase of the 800gs. Hope you enjoy it. Here's my cup of coffee's worth.
    First off. I purchased my 800gs in Jan. I love it. This bike handles on the street sorta like a sport bike. Nice power range. At ninety a pretty dang smoothe ride. Not expected from a duel sport. (not on my part anyway) I've had it offroad a little bit and on several mile of dirt road. Handled quite well. Sure, not an offroad racer but quite capable of handling moderate trails. I've really enjoyed it in the short time I've had it. Oh an buy the way. I'm from Texas and it's suppose to be in the seventies or eighties this weekend. Guess where I'll be. See you adv riders on the battlefield.
  11. dukedar

Oddometer:
    To buy the F800GS! :lol3
  12. dukedar

Oddometer:
    mostly because I have a 750 and it seemed backwards to me to go smaller, even though I am sure that the 650 V-twin is just as capable...
  13. dukedar

Oddometer:
    Encouraging words! I have a month or so to go before it gets decent out!
  14. dukedar

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I also meant to say that I looked at and sat on the F650GS, and I still find it a little low (with the regular seat). At 6'2" I was also looking for something a little taller, but still manageable.
  15. Kidder

Oddometer:
    Your description sounds just like a V-strom 650! Oh, and neither the 800GS or the DL650 are true dual sports. A DR650 or DRZ400 is an example of a dual sport. :D
  16. Eightbll101

Eightbll101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What makes you say the 800 is not a dual sport? Personal opinion? I'm not bashing the dr series. I have two good friends that have one. Yes they are dual sports. But so is the 800gs.
  17. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike! You didn't even give me time to link you to a site that shows how to add ABS to the DL1000....!

I like the 800GS too. If my dealer support was better in this area, I may have gone in that direction. But then I love my Vee more and more every time I ride it, and I plan some lengthy two-up rides later, so I made the right decision for me.

Come on down to NC. I'll ride with ya. After all, "Two wheels good. Four wheels bad."

As proof of that concept, I'm off this AM for a ride with a buddy and his Harley Ultra Glide. He bleeds orange and black and unfortunately can't fathom anyone "settling" for "less than a Harley". When I was shopping for a new bike over the winter, he told me that he'd always ride with me no matter what I bought. I responded that I appreciated that, and to show my appreciation, I'd always wait for him, no matter what I bought.

:rofl
  18. dukedar

Oddometer:
    HaHa! the DL1000 was ruled out from post 1 because of my own preference for ABS. If they had it, I might have gone with the 1000 Strom esp. the package that comes with the Suzuki luggage.

Just might do that! A colleague is organizing a ride to the Dragon in May.

The BMW dealership where I ended up is also a Harley dealer! Funny how riders come together no matter what they ride!
  19. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  20. Kidder

Oddometer:
    Okay, then so's the DL650. I would think a true dual sport would be considerably lighter with higher ground clearance. I guess it depends how you define it.