Need ideas for ICO / tripmaster switches on handlebars

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by uk_mouse, Feb 14, 2020.

1. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I'm doing a rally bike build, and trying to work out how to fit all this crap on my handlebars :)

The pic shows what I have, but obviously the layout is unusable, I need to be able to get to the various switches easily while riding. I've got the OEM left hand cluster, an ICO switch, the red and black thing is connected to the KTM speedo as a trip master switch (a backup for the ICO), and then there's the roadbook switch, which is currently mounted on the clutch master cylinder.

Any ideas how I can lay this out in a more usable fashion? Any pictures of similar builds?

Thanks!

[​IMG]
  2. rinho

rinho Rinho Féroce

Oddometer:
    back in France but Soul still in North America
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    Yes indeed, the oem cluster is the culprit, I suppose I could use the headlight/horn/kill switch cluster from an enduro bike, that's a nice idea. Still need indicators to keep it legal in the UK though.

I can afford to spend a bit more cash on this but those (very nice) combined ICO and roadbook switch clusters are out of my budget.

Rinho, thanks for the drawing, I'll look at it properly tomorrow. Making a custom bracket like that is probably the way to go.
  5. jhalfhide

jhalfhide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The OEM switchgear is so big, you actually have room to open it up, drill, and mount buttons on the big gap on the RH side of the unit.
  6. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe able to eliminate some switches with left switch gear from a 790. I'm going to give try one of the days.

IMG_20200105_113830.jpg
  7. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Moved OEM switch further in, tight fitting left hand rear brake and remote for trip master switch and a plastic bracket that held knob for manual roadbook.

Room in OEM switch houses an extra switch for the heated grips.

https://flic.kr/p/zgEMU5

[​IMG]

And can't get embedding to work on phone so you have to click link for picture.

EDIT: on my old bikes a couple of small switches were added in OEM switch housing (already have heated grip switch up near speedo and don't like it but to lazy to move it) to control the OEM trip.

/Johan
  8. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need the ico buttons closer so indeed move the switchgear. You do not need it often. Ik have cev switches below gps IMG_20190209_141908.jpg IMG_20190318_131548.jpg
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  9. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    Making progress :) I've got a smaller switch cluster on its way from eBay, going to mount it to the right of the clutch cylinder.

Attached Files:

10. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks better. Are they trailtech buttons?
  11. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    Yes the red buttons are from trailtech, they're really nice and compact. I think it's called a 'striker remote switch'.

Possibly not as robust as the proper ICO unit but a hell of a lot cheaper. Sadly I don't think they sell them any more, I tried to buy another set to connect to the ICO.
  12. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used them 1 year in the Tuareg rally. They work but the nummers are pretty small, espesially when on rocky pistes.
  13. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    don't think I have any pictures, but I got rid of the OEM switch cluster. Euro right side switch rewired so the headlight switch does off, low, and high instead of off, parking, and low. Then I took a small ebay single switch holder, put a 3 position rocker intended for heated grips in it, and use that as a tiny turn signal switch. Works great and frees up tons of space for ICO switches.

[​IMG]
  14. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Obviously not an 9x0 bike (525EXC), but what it represents is getting creative to “make it happen”. Proper placement of the ICO switch is critical!...every other switch placement is secondary. At one point a friend temporarily mounted my CEV switch block to my rectangular HDB handguards. I was going to relocate it one I got home, but I couldn’t find another spot to fit them, so they stayed right there! It’s not like I’ll need quick access to turn signals or a high/low beam switch when navigating.
    0E3F877F-F39E-46BF-9CDA-109D1FFD6B4A.jpeg 2F11D176-880A-4C4E-B7A9-F25ECF2FF92B.jpeg 946DD083-B5F4-45BE-9BEC-8D89F4C3B5C3.jpeg 5252E738-F9C0-4C94-8B4E-B25404CC767A.jpeg