Need info on map options for South America for my Zumo595LM.

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by Ohio_Danimal, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aside from spending $99 with Garmin for their South America map, am looking for help on map options.
    Opinions based on actual experience preferred. Am currently in Colombia, headed South. Currently using offline Google and Maps.me for navigation. Would like to put the Zumo back to work.
    Thanks
  2. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I used Openstreetmaps for Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru, they were excellent. I just used them in Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Poland, Slovakia and Hungary and they worked fine also. I would never pay for maps after seeing how good they are. And they are free.
  3. Bigsmokindaddy

Bigsmokindaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OsmAnd+
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Guys: how about a few details on how to make these options work?
    • Link to files?
    • How to get files in correct format(s)?
    • How to get the Zumo595 to recognize the files, etc?

Please remember that my internet access is limited at best
  5. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dan, I also use OpenStreetMaps. On my phone I use Guru Pro which uses them and on my 595LM I use them from various sources.

Complete country maps:
    https://www.openmapchest.org

Shows map of the world and you highlight the area of the map you want:
    https://extract.bbbike.org

Once the maps are downloaded and possibly unzipped you will have files with a .img extension. You can rename the files as needed in case you end up with duplicate names. Now, you copy them onto a MicroSD card into a folder called Map. Put that in the Zumo and boot it up. Go into settings and maps & vehicles and look at MyMaps. Should be there.

Hope this helps!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  6. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    At first glance openmapchest looks much simpler than Openstreetmaps, and if they use the same maps I would recommend going that way. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the complication is when you cross borders you have to go into your settings and change maps. Not a problem in SA where you have border crossings where you have to stop and get off the bike anyway, but in Europe you can be crossing borders multiple times and not even realising it. With Openstreetmaps you can select just maps for the area you travelling, and it doesn't matter if you change countries. For example on my European trip we basically circumnavigate the Czech Republic, crossing the border into neighboring countries regularly. I selected all the maps for the Czech Republic, South eastern Germany,southern Poland etc. The map is then delivered as 1 map that shows the whole area. The process after that is the same as fjmartin says, very simple.

Edit.
    I may be wrong in that with the Zumo you can have multiple maps selected, so the above may not be an issue, others may have to clarify.
  7. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a way to get open street maps preformatted for specific areas for Garmin. They are fairly big & require an email address; you put in the areas you want & they email once your map been created. Put them on your microSD card for the garmin.
    http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
    I believe most phone apps use open street maps as their basis (osmand, locus).
    You can use multipule maps on the garmin, but you can't overlap active maps. You can select/deselect which map(s) are active (based on my Zumo 660).
  8. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Yes, openmapchest just packages openstreetmaps for garmin devices. Same maps and I generally like the TYP and Style they use for readability unlike some other offers. Yes, the zumo can have multiple maps active. Dumps will not allow a route to be created that crosses maps so you’ll have to route to the border and then do it again to your next spot.
  9. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    I also use this site and it works pretty well but I like the bbbike site better as you more dynamically pic the exact areas you want vs how this site you select map sections. But both do work well
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks Guys. It helps a lot
    fjmartin likes this.
  11. dakrause

dakrause Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay I believe an even better (and also free) option is MapeAr: http://www.proyectomapear.com.ar/
    Peru is now part of the MapeAr project, but the Peru mapmakers are saying that OSM is now better there.