Need more info on Revzilla Sturgis Rally July 15-18

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Bee, May 27, 2021.

1. Bee

Bee Ride On Brother

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen ads for the above rally recently but the information seems pretty generic. I’m considering attending but have more questions. Will there be group rides or just maps for you to go your own way? Anyone else curious about this?
  2. Bee

Bee Ride On Brother

Oddometer:
    So I did get some more information from Revzilla. There is one ticket price whether you’re a rider or not.

still curious if others have heard about this rally and are considering it. I know the Black Hills have some great riding.
    Southtrails19 likes this.
  3. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 '20 Multistrada 950S '78 KX650

Oddometer:
    I was curious as to how many from this forum would be attending.
  4. Bee

Bee Ride On Brother

Oddometer:
    I got another email from Revzilla. There will be REVER route downloads as well as printed maps for individual rides as well as opportunities for meet ups for group riding. It doesn’t sound like there will be organized group rides.
  5. TALLGUY

TALLGUY Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hadn't heard of this. I am familiar with the area and the Buffalo Chip. I am considering going.
  6. glfritz

glfritz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thinking about heading to the black hills to ride this summer. trying to figure out if i should wait and take in the revzilla event or just go solo.
  7. Northwoods Snowman

Northwoods Snowman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. JamiesLife

JamiesLife Those that anger you control you. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't see anyone from the south east on here, yet. I'm in the early stages of considering the ride from South Florida. I've ridden to the Sturgis Rally from here 3 times already on a Vulcan and a F6B. Two straight and one 8K mile round-about. I've become a believer in avoiding interstates as much as possible and found it generally to not add a ton of time since it is often the most direct route.

My point. If anyone from down this way (south east) has been sitting on the sidelines wondering whether or not to speak up , maybe you'd be interested in being part of a small group to ride out and attend. If so reach out and lets see what we can put together.
  9. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at going to this... sorta. It's a bit outside my budget, and the schedule might not work well for me. But if the stars align, I might could show up.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of good information out there about what to expect... and since this is the inaugural year, it's hard to know what it's all about.
  10. SPop75

SPop75 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Jamie. Just wanted to jump in and fill in some blanks. Honestly, its all about the riding--a ton of riding in a great location and good company. There will be 12 adventure routes (3 each beginner, intermediate and adavanced) + 2 twisty pavement routes, self-guided, but we plan on offering folks to team up/pair up based on experience and comfort. We invited some manufacturers to bring new products, to hang and ride, of course BMW and HD adventure bike demos and some evening tunes, brews and bonfires. The basecamp has camping, cabin upgrades, high octane fuel, multiple food options and even mechanics on site. Pretty much the perfect outdoor basecamp for adventure riders. We originally had more OE's lined up for demos, but most are literally out of motorcycles. Seems they've all sold whatever they can.

I mentioned on another thread that the team that is putting on the event rolls into my org at Comoto. I started at RevZilla in 2011, ran merchandising for 9 years, and am a long time off-road and adv rider. A year back I moved into this new role, and after buying J&P, the CEO asked what I wanted to do with the events business, so I said "Get people riding and go riding with people." I've done a bunch of AltRider East Coast rides and the owner Jeremy, would always say "I want to give you all the chance to use those bikes as intended." So we're just trying to amplify and work with our like minded partners.

Just like the Texas event we just had, in year one we'll learn a lot, but since day one, RevZilla has had a strong bent towards adventure riding. And while admittedly wish we had been more involved in creating experiences earlier, you have to start somewhere. Was also a great excuse to say to my wife "So yeah...I'm gonna need a new bike"
    Hope to see you all there.
  11. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, that's great! "Yeah, yeah, it's for work. Seriously, I need a new bike." Funny.

It's just a little too far for me. 3 days hard riding out and 3 days back. Too many things on the calendar already. Have fun and I'll make time for next year's event.
    TC1166 and SPop75 like this.
  12. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aw, dammit….PM sent.
    SPop75 likes this.
  13. Xclimation

Xclimation Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trying to make this work with my work schedule...Anyone else from Texas?
  14. BoxerDoc

BoxerDoc Boxer2Vtwin convert Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been keeping my eye on the weather forecast for Sturgis. Of course it's too far out to be certain about anything, but the trend now looks like the heatwave engulfing the Pacific Northwest is spilling over into the Black Hills. The 10-day outlook shows steadily rising temps during the day reaching the mid-90s but still dropping into the 60's-70's at night. That's tolerable. But if it keeps climbing, I don't know. That has me a touch concerned about tent sleeping during the rally. The Buffalo Chip does have some air-conditioned "cabins" available. Of course, those look like a slapped together backyard garden shed! There is an air-conditioner, a foldup table, two chairs and two bunk type beds with some sort of mattress. :hmmmmmThat's it. No running water, no facilities, aside from the nearby portapotty. Their cost is not in line with the amenities. I mean if it was during THE Sturgis Rally I could see it. But for our small venue I don't think it's justified to charge what they're asking. So when I placed my order for the rally, I skipped the cabin option. Certainly it would be better than sleeping in a tent in the heat without AC. But not by that much. I am planning on camping on this trip. But I'd rather do that out in the quiet areas up in the Black Hills well off of the beaten path somewhere by a lake or a stream. (and BTW, I think I found a couple of perfect places for that!). As a backup plan, I made reservations at the Sturgis Motel in downtown Sturgis. It's $139 per night before taxes and is an old style basic motel on a residential side street. The nice thing if it's not during THE Sturgis Rally they have a liberal cancellation policy (full refund up until 24 hours before). So I have options.
    glfritz likes this.
  15. Xclimation

Xclimation Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'm starting to rethink things...I camp. I'm over 50 which means I get up at least twice a night to take a leak. Don't want to navigate around multiple tents to find a porta-potty. Also, looking at picts.; seems there'll be a lot of tents crammed by each other? I normally don't pay more than $20USD for a campsite...and if I pay 20, then It'll have water and electric and not too close to others. They mention the "vendors." 99.9% of the time...the vendors are selling things that I can already buy at my local motorcycle shop..and for cheaper. Don't need a bike mechanic (don't know how much they'll charge for this...) I work on my own bikes. Going on groups rides...well..not normally a fan of this....and I'll have ridden 1100 miles already just to get there. I won't be taking any of the $250.00 classes. I work hard for a living and do many other things....which means on my trips...I enjoy just sitting at my campsite with a beer or wine. I do enjoy live music and hanging out and acting a fool, don't get me wrong. For me the highlights of this would be test riding the Harley Pan America and meeting Spurge. I know they're offering free breakfast...but breakfast for me is usually a good cup of coffee, and I have a nice motocamping coffee setup. And there's the wait in line for group showers.....Personally, I'd rather stay at some quiet campsite in the wilderness. Wake up go to the main area of the rally. Look at others' bikes talk to some people I've met before and some from online. Test the Harley bike...quickly peruse the vendors....then maybe a casual ride around for a couple hours..come back eat something have some beer or wine...listen to some live music for a couple of hours then back to campsite, etc. Just can't see the $260USD to get in this place to test ride a bike? I (want) to want to go to this, but.....
    I gave reasons talking me out of this....I need y'all to talk me (In) to going, please.....Help change my thinking...
    bigwagon and glfritz like this.
  16. Northwoods Snowman

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking the same thing. I'd rather not be camping where there playing music until 10 pm and people are partying it up after that. I like to go to bed and sleep. Looks like virtually no shade either, just a open field... no thanks. I'm looking at other camp sites in the NF. Event is a lot of money for not a lot of benefit. I could just organize a ride out there with a few guys on the forum and save a couple hundred bucks. I just bought an Africa twin so I couldn't care less about the demo rides and I could never afford one anyway, lol.
    bigwagon and Xclimation like this.
  17. bigwagon

bigwagon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought about going, but when I looked into the schedule and what is really being offered, I can't see spending $260 plus the trip out there. Not really sure what exactly they are charging for, other than access to the Chip.
    Dirt2007 likes this.
  18. Northwoods Snowman

Oddometer:
    Oh, but camping is "free"! :lol3
    davepen likes this.
  19. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango 1*

Oddometer:
    The timing of it too much in advance of Rally doesn't make sense, nor does $260 for tenting at the Chip and a couple of breakfasts. There is so much information about routes, roads, trails and loops that I think I'll take a pass.

If a bunch of ADV folks ran this it would not not be so much of a bu$ine$$ venture and might actually turn into a thing ... an ADV thing.
    rizzo27 and davepen like this.
  20. Xclimation

Xclimation Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Despite my whining...I'm going. Going to ride up from Fort Worth, Texas leaving Monday. Going to camp along the way....by the time I get there. I'll be ready to relax and hang out. Not sure if I'll ride any of the routes. Might spend a majority of my time hanging out at the event.