Need new tires for 640 lc4

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB, Sep 7, 2004.

1. GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB

GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last week I trashed the stock tires. I need some advice on some new ones. I have to ride 60 to 70 miles on pavement to get to the gravel and I mean gravel lots of gravel. The stock tires seemed to work well, but ARE worn out. I am more comfortable on dirt with a dualsport tire than on street with knobbies. Any suggetions on what to buy and were to order them from?
  2. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    What was/is your stock tire?
  3. GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB

GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB Long timer

Oddometer:
    They were metzler sahara. I was looking for a few different choices. The metzlers only have 4400 miles on them. They had 2300 miles on them when I got the bike. The front looked good , and the rear was half worn out. I put 200 miles on it mostly paved one afternoon. Then about 400 miles a day everyday last week75% paved 25% gravel, and they are slicks.
  4. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I think you will be hard pressed to find a "50/50" tire that offers the service life of a Sahara. There are better dirt DS tires but none of the tires in the Metzeler class offer the mileage... IMO.
    Any input from others out there?
  5. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been using the Conti TKC-80. It does well everywhere except milage. I only get 3k on the rear tire. It's not squirmy on the road and seems to work good on the dirt. It's slightly cheeper than the Sahara so I think the milage/cost thing works out prety close.
  6. witzgall

witzgall Goin' South

Oddometer:
    Try these. Much cheaper then the tkc-80, good for 3000 miles. A fair bit more street oriented to boot.
  7. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Thats what's sitting in my garage, waiting to get slapped on this weekend... along with some nice thick Bridgestone Ultra tubes. :D
  8. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've tried Sahara's - Great until you encounter loose dirt, mud, or snow and
    long lasting.

Dunlop D606's - awesome off road but squirrly on pavement and wear quick

Metzeler Karoo's - great on pavement, good in dirt but only when brand new
    but wear out quickly as the knobs are short to begin with.

Pirelli Scorpion's - great on pavement, but similar to Sahara's off road. Long
    lasting.

Pirelli MT21's - Amazing on pavement for a knobbie and work very well in the
    dirt, mud, or snow. Last from 2K to 4K depending on right hand.

With all the miles I've ridden, I have had the best luck with the MT21's for my riding style which is 90% dirt and 10% pavement. I have yet to try TKC80's.
  9. GODSPEED

GODSPEED finger lickin' good

Oddometer:
    I have a rear on order.

10. witzgall

witzgall Goin' South

Oddometer:
    Gotta have the big tubes. I have never gotten a flat with one of these (I am knocking on my head as I write this).

Chris
  11. GSXR1KandR6

GSXR1KandR6 n00b

Oddometer:
    S Duxbury, VT Currently in Baghdad, Iraq!
    I've also used the Maxxis 6000's they are a really decent tire for street and some dirt.
  12. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Kenda K270 on the rear, replacing the stock Sahara. I agree with Creep on the Sahara life. I have 6000 on my front Sahara and it is pretty much gone, but hey, what front tire really works in gravel anyway?

I really like the K270 and I do the same type of riding you do. I have about 500 miles on it and it still looks new. It works nicely on gravel and muddy roads, but it is pretty greasy on pavement when the tire is hot. No big deal, just a little wiggle.

These Kendas are so cheap I'm going to buy 2 more rears and a front.
  13. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Yep, looked long and hard at the Kendas. May need to try them next after the Maxxis wear out.
  14. JoJo

JoJo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My vote goes to the Pirelli MT21. As others have said, great off road, decent on road. The only problem I have is that I can only get around 2K out of a set. It's hard to tone it down in the twisties :thumb

That said, my next set will be the MT90 AT's. Not a knobbly tire, so I will be trading off dirt grip for tarmac grip. We'll see how it goes.
  15. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Hey Creep....you get them on yet? :wink:

[​IMG]

CC
  16. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I don't know what bikes are coming or going right now in and outta my garage.

On my 620 RXC, I have the MT21's. I have 1000 miles on them now, and the rear is maybe 40-50%. The front looks to be 75%. They hook up great on the dirt roads. Above 70mph on pavement, they are, IMO, wiggly, skwirmy and not good. They build up a lot of heat at highway speeds even at 35psi. If I keep this bike, I'll put MT21's on again because they rock in the dirt. They are fair in sand, and not so good in sloppy mud. At less than $50 for a front and a couple bucks over $50 for a rear, I can't complain.

The Saharas wear like iron. I have these on my Dakar. I have 3200 miles on a set and they are still about 40%. The dry pavement performance is quite good. I don't much care for them in the rain. They are good on hard pack dirt roads. Elsewhere, they aren't too good. Mud and sand, forget about it. They are pretty well suited to what I think BMW intended the bike to do.

My KTM Adventure has a new MT21 on the front and a new TKC80 on the back. I haven't gotten to ride that bike yet, so no opinions have been formed.

DC950's Kenda looks to be a good tire. It isn't as open a tread as the MT21, but seems to hook up very well in dirt and give decent performance on the road. I may put those on the Dakar next. Deiter & Klaus won't approve, but they aren't riding it.
  17. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Any excuse to post that shot, huh Chris? :lol3 ... let me help you. :D

No, this Friday I think. I'd like to have them on before Loadedpalooza.

The other Chris
  18. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    I just gotta rub it in a little....I've never seen yours with any dirt on it! :wave

CC

p.s. when's the due date on the Boejangles Special?
  19. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    You can :wave goodbye to them by 4500 GP. :lol3
  20. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I've been in dirt... honest I have. But you'll never see any of it. :evil

Seat is due Friday latest. My ass is puckering in anticipation. :lol3