Need some help picking the right lugagge for a 790 adventure.

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Martincito, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm starting a trip in April from Spain to Mongolia. I'll be picking up a 790 R in Madrid and heading from there.
    The bike will be just released and accessories are quite limited at this point.
    My options are KTM branded Touratech aluminum cases (they will release in February according to Spanish dealer) or Mosko/Kriega soft panniers attached to a Touratech rack.
    I'm used to BMW aluminum panniers on my 1200GS but when I see pictures of big KTM adventures with hard luggage they seem way wider than the handlebars (on the GS are almost the same).

I'll appreciate any thoughts or info about width of Touratech cases on 1090, or 1290 bikes and also with the soft pannier systems.

I don't want to start another hard vs soft panniers thread, I'm just concern about width on both systems.
  2. OlafofOregon

OlafofOregon Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The width is a function of the racks. If you would like to keep the bike handlebar width, then you should consider a rackless solution.

IMG_8138.jpg
    lithodave and airwater like this.
  3. ternus

ternus Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet trip!

Big question: how much offroading are you planning? I really wouldn't want hard bags during any nontrivial offroading, just because they'll deform and stop mounting correctly if you drop the bike enough.

This happened to me with Jesse Luggage in the Mexican mountains:
    hardbags.jpg
    I ended up shipping them home and replacing them with Magadan soft bags, which made me much happier. Those weren't wider than the handlebars, IIRC.

Since Olaf was good enough not to plug his own products (directly :) ) I will -- a buddy had the Giant Loop Great Basin setup on the back of his 690 and I was super envious of his ability to just unclip a couple of straps and carry the whole damn thing into the hostel for the night. Definitely not wider than the bars. I was 2-up for part of the trip so it wasn't an option, but I'll probably do something like this my next big trip.
    OlafofOregon and panzer like this.
  4. RockHard_RideFree

RockHard_RideFree Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Without knowing how the various options will fit impossible to know for sure.

If it were me... I'd go with rackless soft luggage solution. But I also thrash my bikes a fair bit.

If you're buying the bike to ride pavement just throw hard luggage on it and call it a day. There is no advantage to soft bags on the street imho.
  6. inbred

inbred Sweeter than Yoo-hoo

Oddometer:
    His crow-fly distance one way is about five thousand miles. The majority of them clicks in remote, poor quality tarmac areas. He'll need to pack a fair share of provisions. Seems like he'll need some structure in the way of racks to take the load. Of course that bike cries out for a rackless soft luggage solution so my vote is with you, windblown. Plus the money he saves over a hard bag system will help him financially when he needs make repairs and fly in parts for the wildly unproven beast. Traveling light and fast will be the key to a smooth journey. Giant Loop Siskiyou Panniers would be a ballsy, inspired choice if he wants to keep in the spirit of the 790. He'd have to be schooled in lightweight packing and provisioning techniques.
    amschnellsten and Tomdog like this.
  7. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank guys for the replies.
    I never used a rack-less system and worry about safety when leaving the bike unattended. The only rack available will be the Touractech. Not sure if the Rocky Mountain form the 1090 will be compatible. I saw a couple of soft panniers systems that can be somehow locked with a lockeable strap (pack safe) and was hoping they will be narrower than hard cases but as Olaf says the width will be determined by the rack itself. I'm expecting to ride 12,000 miles, probable less than 10% will be on dirt. I'm not a great dirt rider but hoping to be able to ride the Pamir Highway if the road conditions are not awful. It's hard to take decisions knowing so little about the bike.
  8. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Proven solutions for round the world travels:

IMG_8163.jpg

Paolo has ridden and lived off his 1190 for four years now, carrying a drone and camera gear.

IMG_8040.jpg

Grace has ridden and lived off her 690 for two years now.
    thirsty 1, Perun and pratered like this.
  9. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    That translates into 11,000 miles on hard surface... if it was me I'd go with KTM branded Touratech aluminum cases and some dry bags to carry loose or less valuable stuff. The hard panniers will provide a bit more security for your stuff and there's likely to be a KTM shop somewhere along the way should you have a wreck and need parts for 'em.
    rick danger likes this.
  10. ternus

ternus Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd email Touratech and ask them the width of the rack. I really doubt anything from the 1x90s will be compatible with the 790 -- the subframe looks pretty different.

For security, I like the AdvSpec Magadans' (supposedly) slash-proof Kevlar lining and steel-cable lockability. The other alternative is to put your valuable stuff in a PacSafe mesh in a rolltop.

Personally on my 1290 I use a combo: soft bags on the side, Jesse hard box on the top.
  11. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Gamer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I prefer soft bags to hard for the off road drops. Racks can help protect the bike, but add weight and width, and I currently run rackless. I really like the Giant Loop bags, specifically the Siskiyou Panniers. They fit the 1290 SAR perfectly and are very adjustable for a variety different bikes. The waterproof inner bags make packing easy and convenient to take into a hotel room for security. If you need to buy bags before you get the 790, I'd focus on a system like this. For long trips, I strap on GL Rogue dry bags and have a Diablo tank bag which is waterproof an zips on and off the strap mount for security. Steelcore straps secure the panniers to the bike.
    OlafofOregon and Doktor like this.
  12. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Good advice from a certified KTM hard case tester. :rofl
    Barekat likes this.
  13. Radzz

Radzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I´m getting the same bike around the end of March aswell and planning some big miles in far away lands with it.. I´ve been looking at all the options and the pricing. Soft bags are cool for me, no need to get into my reasoning as it´ll just be the same old soft/hard discussion, but I like soft bags. The down side is the time/hassle it takes removing them for me. Mosko and Kriega do a quick release option using plastic side bag plates, but they´re pretty friggin expensive.
    I´ve got a few friends who have been using these https://www.givi.it/soft-bags/Saddle Bags/GRT709 CANYON ,and they seem pretty happy with them. Almost 1/2 the price of the Mosko/Kriega options and they work well. They´re not as hard core as the others I mentioned but they do the trick.. just my opinion..... it´s and extra option
    ozmick likes this.
  14. BikeBrother

BikeBrother Motorisch gestoord

Oddometer:
  15. nordicbiker

nordicbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The good news about he 790 is that those passenger handles are easily removable, just like on previous models (eg my 1050). Then you should be able to fit something like a GL Great Basin or my own favorite MM R80. Both dont require a rack, however I dont know if you need to do anything about the exhaust. Ask me again 1. April and I fill not joke!
  16. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A message I just wrote in the big thread (including the pictures my message is about, and a picture of my Xcountry):

Enduristan, from Switzerland. IMHO, some of their products are the best you can find.
    Overall : excellent quality, lightweight, 100% waterproof, not so expensive and very tough.

- The tankbag on the picture is their Sandstorm 4H. I have it since a few years: was on my 1290 SAS, is on my 650 Xcountry and 600 Ténéré, and will be on my 790 when I pick it up it in a few days :)). It is absolutely perfect. Especially concerning its size: not too big offroad but not to small to become useless. It weights very little (less than 1kg I guess), can carry quite a lot (perfect for half a dozen of beers cans plus food - what else?), is very easy to use (to open and take it off/on), and has a simple map/phone holder with velcro.

- The dufflebag is their Tornado (probably size M) fitted with rokstraps. Best duffelbags I ever had, period. Very tough, extremely lightweight considering the capacity (0,77 kg for size S, 20L but it can carry a lot, for example all your camping gear even for winter, including MSR Hubba NX tent and and helinox chair), very tough, very simple (no useless features) and very easy to use (with rokstraps). When solo I use size S, when not size M.

- The saddlebags are the Blizzard (probably size L). Had them on a 701 Enduro, not so bad but decided I don't like saddlebags so much, too big/wide, always a little tricky to tie down/off, always moves a little. But if you do like rackless saddlebags, I think they are very good ones.

- The fenderbag, well, is their "fenderbag". I think it is not very useful since it is extremely small, and it is a little bit a pain in the ass to fill/close/tie down.

- Also check their bottle holdster, very good (you can see it attached to the frame on my picture). Can hold a litter of fuel, water, or a bottle of wine (but tie it down tight then !). Should be easy to attach on the sides of the 790 rack (especially the Perun rack), under the dufflebag (will send some pictures in a few days if the Perun rack fits!).

- Also, I had one of their backpacks (the Hurricane) for a few months, but didn't like it so much: pretty heavy (1,6 kg empty for the big one), complicated because of too many straps and features making it uneasy to use. I will stick with my Klim Arsenal or, for when I don't wan't to look like a Swat boy/terrorist, my Arcteryx Granville 16 (best backpack ever: simple, waterproof, easy zips and LIGHTWEIGHT) .

You can also check the Mosko Moto products. Even more bulletproof, but too heavy for me (I have been a climber/alpinist enthusiast so I just can't have bags that weight over 1kg).

To make it short (sorry for the big message), I can recommend Enduristan :)

Attached Files:

Manray and powderzone like this.
  17. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the BMW Atacama version of the Mosko Backcountry panniers because they are available in a 35L/25L set to keep things tighter on the exhaust side.

While there are some aspects of the panniers I wish we're different, like the front and rear pockets, I LOVE how easy they are to put on and take off. I've done a pretty exhaustive search for something better, and while there are some panniers that I would prefer from a materials/construction standpoint point, they aren't asymmetric and don't have the awesome mounting system of the Mosko's. For the right panniers, I would even take the time to adapt the Mosko's back plates.

I have hard (Jesse's) and soft panniers and highly recommend you go soft on your 790. I haven't touched my hard panniers since installing the Atacama's. The only thing I miss is not having anywhere to put stickers from all the great places the bike has taken me.
  18. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    We had the chance to check out the 790 for the first time at the Vancouver Motorcycle Show, and it confirmed figment for:

* All Giant Loop Tank Bags
    https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product-category/tank-bags-handlebar-bags-tank-panniers/

* All Giant Loop Saddlebags NO RACK REQUIRED, HEAT SHIELD INCLUDED (best with Passenger Handle Removal Spacer Kit)
    https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product-category/saddlebag-systems/

* All Giant Loop Panniers (with side luggage rack installed) NO RACK REQUIRED for Siskiyou Panniers (2 heat shields included)
    https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product-category/pannier-systems/

The chassis, tail rack and passenger handles are all very similar, if not identical to our KTM 1090 Adventure R. Our Hot Springs Heat Shield solves any exhaust heat issues.

We’ll have photos, videos and more details as soon as we have more face time with this amazing new machine!

IMG_8136.jpg
    IMG_8137.jpg
    IMG_8138.jpg
  19. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Personally, I wouldn't trust the promised delivery date - would hate to be about to leave and have no luggage. I'd find someone to make racks. You could then install soft bags or any generic hard bags with a self-installable puck mounting system.
  20. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Grab these, he's just across the channel from you. No racks required, so no issue if they aren't available. Just make sure you have a heat shield for the exhaust.