Need some help picking the right lugagge for a 790 adventure.

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Martincito, Jan 28, 2019.

1. airwater

airwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everyone has a different opinion and because I only do simple, usually dry unpaved roads I prefer a top box which is my 58 litre Givvi Trekker Outback (yes this puts the weight very high) but here's why I like it:

• 50-60 litres really should be plenty for 1 person travelling.
    • Lockable metal luggage is much more secure when leaving the bike than soft luggage where your stuff is gone in 10 seconds.
    • If you tip the bike the top box is more unlikley to ground or be damaged (or the stuff inside like it would with your soft side mounted bag with your laptop inside) when compared to side mounted luggage.
    • Bike dimensions are only marginally changed.
    • It's about 30-40% of the price of hard side cases and how often will side cases get used.
    • I can have the box there 365 days a year and actually get use out of it rather than side cases I would use 1 week per year on average.

Obvious disadvantages are the high mounted weight / weight limitations and the bike will lie flat on it's side when you do tip it, so harder to right.

Now burn me
    Garambo likes this.
  2. Doktor

Doktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go with the Giant Loop setup. I use it on my 525EXC and I ride very rugged off-road and I've never once had an issue. No racks needed, easy off and on. Last summer in Colorado I rode an MX track for a couple hours with the GL bag still mounted and it didn't loosen a bit.
    MTBRALPH, Garambo and OlafofOregon like this.
  3. Gadjodilo

Gadjodilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Soft lugage are the only way to go on especialy on an offroad oriented bike.

Kriega side lugage and top lugage are really good. Plus if you have more than one bike you just use them on any bike as needed.

Hard lugage ends up braking chasis or falling off the bike after heavy offroad use. Soft lugage will help protect the bike in case of fall.
  4. OlafofOregon

OlafofOregon Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    airwater likes this.
  5. toxictractor

toxictractor n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried to mount the Enduristan Monsoon 3s on a 790 ADV without a rack?

More generally: I'm looking for soft saddlebags or panniers for my KTM 790 Adventure R that a) do not require me to install a rack, b) have 25-30L of capacity each, and c) don't require me to install a heat shield on the exhaust.

Does such a dream exist?

Thanks!
  6. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it does: Mosko Moto Reckless 80!!!
    It is perfect for this bike.

Please check other of my posts in The Mosko thread, the 790 main thread.
    toxictractor likes this.
  7. toxictractor

toxictractor n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I should be more specific: I’m just looking for saddlebags / pannier bags, but I have a top case I’m already using on the 790. So the reckless 80 is probably not gonna work :/
  8. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't say enough good about the Bumots that I bought for my 1090. Love the add-on toolkit, the hard bags are very stout and I picked up a set of their Extremada or whatever soft bags in the flea market for cheap. The soft bags lock right onto the racks, no farting around needed so you can switch easy depending on the need. I don't know if they have them for the 790 yet, but I'd be surprised if not.
  9. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm.
    The reckless 80 will work fine with a topcase (my perun rack or oem rack is not covered), but I can’t carry a pillion of course...

Just a question: why don’t you use the reckless 80 and ditch the (probably ugly) topbox? :)
  10. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    comradecasey likes this.
  11. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you show us pics with the passenger handles removed, please?
    OlafofOregon likes this.
  12. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    The grab handles are removed in the second photo - they are still on the bike in the first profile shot, which is why the Saddlebag is mounted farther forward. Removing those big handles makes all of the Giant Loop Saddlebags fit super tight close to the bike for optimal handling.
  13. Fanowater

Fanowater n00b

Oddometer:
    I have the Mosko Moto Reckless 80 on my 790 Adv R and they work perfectly.
    I too had perfectly good soft saddlebags, but could not get racks, so went rackless.
    If you snug the sides under the rear grab rails, the center will not bother you and you'll still have enough of a (tiny) rack left to strap on a small duffel bag.

Cheers
  14. Jefe009

Jefe009 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bump! Anyone fitted a Mosko Reckless 40 on a 790 yet? I'm wondering, if it's placed pretty far forward (covering the passenger part of the seat only) if I can squeeze my duffel onto the rack behind it? Pretty sure it'll work, but looking for photos if anyone's done it. Thanks
  15. Anidemsaiasi

Anidemsaiasi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride enduristan luggage and givi top case, sometimes (a lot off road) only soft luggage

On de KTM
    IMG_20190920_173107.jpg

No photos full setup on the KTM, so KLR
    IMG-20170221-WA0011.jpg
  16. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Power is out and it’s difficult to post photos but if you click on my history and go back a bit, you’ll find pics of the 40

I took off the grab handles and installed a perun rack w the lowering bracket. Plenty of room to add a duffle. It does take up a little real estate towards the rear of the seat if you were looking to ride two up. For a single rider, no problem

I can post pics if my power ever comes back on.
  17. Jefe009

Jefe009 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks @CaseyB! I found the pics you are referencing, exactly what I was hoping for. Of course the R40+Stinger 22 combo is a cleaner look than what I'm putting together, but I already have a Mosko Backcountry 40 duffle and would like to keep using it on my top rack. Much appreciated
    TrailTrauma likes this.