Need some suggestions for shipping from AK to NY

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by biggziff, Feb 16, 2018.

1. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    I'm buying a Paramotor from a guy in AK and I need it shipped to NY. Shipnex was who delivered it to him last fall from CA, but I wondered if any of you AK guys/gals have any other suggestions for shipping something like this from AK? Roughly 75 pounds, 38 X 23 X 26 box (165 pound dimensional weight approx)

Thanks in advance.
  2. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take a look at American Fast Freight. IF you can ship it Port to Port and pick-up at the port it should be cheaper. Where in Upstate NY are you?
    biggziff likes this.
  3. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'm near Binghamton. Airports near me are BGM, ELM and SYR.
  4. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    There's a bit of a stranglehold on freight to and from AK now as the biggest carrier bought the 2nd biggest carrier a couple years back. The 900# gorilla now is Span Alaska and a link for a quote is here:

https://www.spanalaska.com/online/Quote.aspx

I might be inclined to call them if the numbers come back bigger than you were hoping, ziff. They just quoted me $4500 to move a 16' sailboat from SEA to ANC so I have the impression that their glut of business may mean they're allowing themselves to get a tad sloppy in the quotes dept (or maybe I gave them crappy info?).

You also might want to contact FedEx and ask about their heavyweight service. Good luck. :thumb
  5. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. I decided to scrap the plan to buy the unit from Alaska and bought one from a dealer in MI. Much easier.

thanks!
    Tewster2 likes this.