Need storage in Medellin...tomorrow! ☺️

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by JSey29, May 14, 2019.

1. JSey29

JSey29 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hola!

I am currently in Medellin. My boyfriend is Chilean and ran into a few problems buying a moto since he does not have a passport and therefore cannot obtain a RUNT. We have been in Medellin for too long and need to get out of the city. We will travel by bus to the coast to think about our next plan, and therefore I need storage for my motorcycle in Medellin starting tomorrow and for a few weeks. Anyone have space I can rent? Or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jess
    +17192935185 whatsapp
  2. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you don't turn anything up, here are a few things which have worked for me: Ask at your lodging and promised to stay with them when you return for the bike. Ask at paid parking lots including, if desperate, at the airport. Ask at motorcycle dealers and/or parts stores. And if that doesn't work, ask anyone local you find on this thread (there are at least a few): https://advrider.com/f/threads/adv-riders-in-colombia.740933/

Hope that's helpful.

Mark
    JSey29 and Cal like this.
  3. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    seems like such an easy thing to do with a little forethought?
  4. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try Hotel Diez in El Poblado. @PaisaMed I believe used that hotel to store his bike when he went back to Canada. Underground parking w/lots of space. I was there in January.
    Nttra, Parcero and JSey29 like this.
  5. PaisaMed

PaisaMed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make a deal with a hotel and pay in advance for storage. Lock the bike up and cover it if you can and you should be good.
    Hotel Diez, Dann Carlton, maybe Hotel Nutibara in the Centro, etc. There are others. Also, maybe find a hostel that has parking and pay for long term parking privileges. Also, another option would be to ask a car washing place but I think the hotel is a better way to go.
    JSey29 likes this.
  6. PaisaMed

PaisaMed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stored my bike at a friend's house so, off the top of my head, I don't know of an exact hotel who would accord this deal.
    JSey29 likes this.
  7. JSey29

JSey29 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help! (Everyone but ‘Cal’ that is)

Found a local on the MAI Facebook group who has been kind enough to store it + bags for me. He met me at my hotel to lead the way to his house, and then gave me a ride back to the town center. As I was pulling up an Argentinian overlander was on his way out so it seems like he helps the community out quite often. Great Facebook group to join in you are traveling through Mexico/ Central/ SA!
    PaisaMed and Tricepilot like this.
  8. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    JSey29, told you it was an easy thing to do:-)
    GuateRider likes this.
  9. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Just another shoutout to the Diez Hotel, where I left my bike in the parking lot for five months. Not covered, riding gear locked in the panniers and two brand new TKC-80s just left on the seat. I returned to find everything exactly as I left it. At home in Chicago, I wouldn’t leave my bike in a public garage overnight!
    Nttra, Cal and Tricepilot like this.
  10. Nttra

Nttra My english is not very good looking

Oddometer:
    Interesting info here Guys!
    On a related topic, If you fly into Colombia, and buy an Overlander bike to travel the country; Can you leave the bike parked in a secure place for more than 6 months and then return and resume the trip?
    I did this 2 times in Cuba (you just have to know the right people), but on the 3rd iteration, the "right guy I knew" ended up in jail for some drug-related stuff, so the "new guy" wasn't aware of my arrangement, and long story short: my bike got seized by Aduanas.
    Also in Brazil, back in 2008 I had to leave behind a bike due a mechanical malfunction, and that got me fined by Customs when leaving the country.

So, How's Colombia in this regards?
  11. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I don’t know if Colombia has a process for suspending a TVIP for six months, or any duration. When a foreign vehicle enters Colombia, a six-month temporary import permit is issued, and at the end of that period the vehicle must me taken out of the country. Perú has a process where the permit can be extended for up to one year.

I overstayed my TVIP in Chile by about four years. I got the bike back after it was confiscated, but not without a lot of hassle and a heavy fine.
    Nttra likes this.