1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Need suggestions for 7 day ride in Southwest USA

Discussion in 'Americas' started by hutch81, Mar 12, 2020.

1. hutch81

hutch81 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, the plan was to head to Baja and eat fish tacos on the beach, but with COVID19 my wife and I are concerned about a border closure while we're down there. As much as I'd like to be stuck in Baja when the weather sucks back home (North Idaho), we have 2 kids at home that we can't ditch.

We flew down to Phoenix today, grabbed the bike from the storage unit, and are heading out tomorrow. With the rain in AZ I'm not sure where we should head. We've never been to New Mexico, does anyone know any good rides and sights to see there?

We will be 2 up, camping, and sticking to the pavement and dirt roads for this 7 day trip.

Thanks for the help!
  2. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never ridden there, but I visited the Philmont Scout Ranch near Cimmaron as a kid and can still remember how amazing those mountains in the area were.

Might've just been my 12 year old self that hadn't been around much getting amazed, but I definitely plan to go back on two wheels some day.
    hutch81 likes this.
  3. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go to Silver City and take Hwy 152 to Hillsboro or Hwy 15 to Gila Cliff Dwellings...camping in the Gila Nat. Forest may be a little cold this time of year
    Gustavo and hutch81 like this.
  4. hutch81

hutch81 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is exactly what I was looking at doing. Do I need to worry about snow in any of the roads this time of year?
  5. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    check this link for road condtions...

https://nmroads.com/mapIndex.html?
    Call area National Forest office @ Glenwood or Silver city for snow conditions.
  6. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Not sure if "we will be 2" means two bikes or riding two up

If two bikes You may wan to consider the southern half of the Arizona peace trail

Another fun route may be the road of the devil .. dir/sand road about 110 miles from Yuma o Organ Pipe national monument

Good luck

Scott
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could ride a lot of the southern parts of the NM and AZ BDRs in 7 days.

There is also a lot of desert riding in the NM T or C area.
    Check out the Rubber Chicken thread in the Rockies forum. It has tracks for about 20 rides in that area.

I believe that snow is likely above maybe 8k ft for a month or so south of I-40.
  8. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Yeah, what @SKINNY said. Take US60 to Globe, 70 to 191. If 191 is open to Alpine, do that loop before you go to Silver City. Otherwise, 78 through Mule Creek to 180, and then to Silver City.

When you go by Hillsboro, on the other side of the Emory Pass, stop at the general store for lunch. I've been on 152 just about every time of the year. If a storm just went by, you could find some snow and ice, especially in the "dark" parts of the mountain. Otherwise, it could be cold early or late in the day, but very pleasant the rest of the time.

Also, check our White Sands National Park on the other side of the Rio Grande valley.

Gustavo
  9. hutch81

hutch81 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was a typo, we're 2 up.
  10. dxm113

dxm113 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For AZ:
    191 between Morenci & Alpine

60/77 between Show Low & Globe

89 between Prescott, Cottonwood, and Sedona