Need tech help on 2007 R1200--Suggestions for best forum?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by wildwestrider, Feb 10, 2019.

1. wildwestrider

wildwestrider Pack-Mule Hooligan

Oddometer:
    If anyone has a suggestion for a better forum to post this query,...please suggest it.

I'm trying to help diagnose a friends 2007 R1200.stalling on first cold start (if throttle is added too soon) problem.

After a local now independent BMW motorcycle mechanic replaced his ABS unit, the bike had developed stalling after cold starting when throttle was added. If the bike is allowed to idle for a minute or two, the bike then operates normally and then seems to start and run normally thereafter for the remainder of the ride.

The mechanic that did the work was a prior BMW certified master tech,....and when the problem was discovered,...he checked fuel pressure, replaced spark plugs, replaced the throttle positions sensor, then when on to swap in known good temperature sensor, throttle bodies with injectors, looked at cold start function (don’t recall exactly what he did there) and then took the bike to the nearby BMW shop to have the bike connected to the BMW computer/scanner and scanned and all values reset. At no time were any codes coming up when the bike was scanned.

$1200 later for the combined ABS and stalling diagnostics and with the still present hard starting issue,..My friend is now afraid to ride the bike for fear that it will possibly quit while being ridden or not start again leaving him and possibly his wife stranded at some remote stopping point.

Thoughts and/or suggestions appreciated.
    Brian in San Antonio

Brian in San Antonio
  2. BluByU

BluByU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMHO you have come to the right place, to ask a tech question.

Might be a simple air leak, runs lean until the O2 sensors warm up and the ECU can richen up the mix. Maybe a leak at the hoses from the throttle to the charcoal canister? A leak at the throttle bodies or maybe just the throttle cables are not seated (boden box or at throttles)

Might be that the valves are a bit tight
    ogklx400 likes this.
  3. socalnative

socalnative Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the GS has an abs issue and a chil running issue then I'd make sure the basics are sound.
    Check the rubber boots and lines.
    Do a valve adjustment and throttle body sync and check the O2 sensors and air filter and for any codes.
    Most people know to check any vehicle, they are potentially buying, cold start performance. Many underlining issues are most prevalent when an ice is cold.
    Start with the basics.
    My experience has been that hard starting, cold stalling and worse mileage were the valves are out of adjustment on the FI gs.
  4. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has the battery been checked?
    I would check all items which have been removed/installed, touched etc during the ABS work.
  5. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just my 2 cents, but I'd pull the tank and look for any electrical connections that aren't seated properly (of course, any that are near the ABS unit). I'd look for a temp sensor connector. It seems that the computer isn't recognizing the cold motor.
  6. shovelstrokeed

shovelstrokeed Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are temperature sensors and temperature sensors. Engine (coolant), intake air temperature and also barometric pressure sensors, failure or miscalibration of any or a combination of which can cause the symptoms you describe. Keep looking, if it worked before, it should work again.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  7. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    I agree with checking every connection & part that was touched/removed/shoved around during the ABS work. It makes little sense to start replacing spark plugs and injectors on a 2017 bike when it was working fine before, but not after, someone stuck their hands in the bike - no matter how skilled those hands might be.
    Callisto224 likes this.
  8. wildwestrider

wildwestrider Pack-Mule Hooligan

Oddometer:
    The bike is a 2007 not 2017 and I forgot that the tech said he also checked the valve adjustment and synched the throttle bodies. My friend and the tech discussed that it could have been related to the work done when the ABS unit was replaced and when I talked with the tech,...he said he checked everything he could think of that might have been affected during the ABS pump replacement. I agree, it sounds like something is causing the cold start fuel enrichment to not function properly and surely the tech had that same thought as that would be the most obvious conclusion.
  9. mitchapalooza

mitchapalooza Rider is Air-cooled Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting... my new to me R1200GSA has these same symptoms, but I always kinda assumed it was just the cold-blooded nature especially due to its cushy life and sub 10,000 miles.

Sub'd.
  10. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Same advice still stands. Check everything that the tech touched.

If the problem didn't exist before he did the work, there's a 98% chance he created this issue.
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Calisto is on the right track. Most techs look for fault codes and finding none, are basically lost. A good tech will use a tool like the GS911 and start comparing sensor values cold to hot, and cylinder to cylinder. In your friend's case, likely a sensor, or it has never had the throttle body stepper motors calibrated, a very simple procedure.
    Callisto224 likes this.
  12. GoRide16

GoRide16 Doing it a while.

Oddometer:
    I had similar symptoms on my 2007 GSA. I would have the same starting problem or a rough idle. I had tracked it down to the throttle position sensor. You can reset manually at startup.

Turn the ignition on and let the bike go through the startup procedure. Do not start the bike.

Twist the throttle all of the way open and let it snap back. Open the throttle and let it snap back one more time.

Turn of the ignition.

Turn on the ignition and let the bike go through the startup. When it is done, hit the start button.

I hope this will work for you.
    Shred Head Fred likes this.